Living at BI Cannery.

Sus-wolf

Whats the best way to live at or near the Bleak Inlet cannery? 

I’m thinking of living out of the office trailer but I currently have all my stuff inside the cannery with the ammunitions bench. Living inside the cannery doesn’t seem sustainable because of the rope climb to get there.

I have killed most of the current wolves and plan to harvest the meat, which I can’t efficiently carry to the cannery because of the rope climb. 

The cannery is indeed impractical due to the rope climb. but not necessarily impossible.  With the technical backpack and the well fed benefit that does give you an an additional 10 kilos of baggage you can easily haul up the rope.  But having to do a parkour course each time you want to access the cannery does get old.  There is of course the kitchen around back with the fire barrel so that does make it kinda convenient to cook and store some items nearby.
Typically I only use the cannery to craft bullets and use the machinery during Aurora to sharpen and repair my tools and weapons.  I  like the cannery workers cabin down by the broken light house as my home base.  Easy access to deer and rabbits in the back of the cabins and of course there's a bear den nearby which is another good source of meat.  Not to mention the 6 burner stove at the lighthouse and access to another flare gun and ammo.   Don't get much wolf activity there either and the dead tree behind the cabin is easily climbable and you can literally drop down on the roof of the cabin and shoot the bear when he is nearby without fear of mauling.  Also the docks there allow you to play a nice game of cat and mouse with the bear as you pump either arrows or bullets into his lumbering frame.  

17 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

The cannery is indeed impractical due to the rope climb. but not necessarily impossible.  With the technical backpack and the well fed benefit that does give you an an additional 10 kilos of baggage you can easily haul up the rope.  But having to do a parkour course each time you want to access the cannery does get old.  There is of course the kitchen around back with the fire barrel so that does make it kinda convenient to cook and store some items nearby.
Typically I only use the cannery to craft bullets and use the machinery during Aurora to sharpen and repair my tools and weapons.  I  like the cannery workers cabin down by the broken light house as my home base.  Easy access to deer and rabbits in the back of the cabins and of course there's a bear den nearby which is another good source of meat.  Not to mention the 6 burner stove at the lighthouse and access to another flare gun and ammo.   Don't get much wolf activity there either and the dead tree behind the cabin is easily climbable and you can literally drop down on the roof of the cabin and shoot the bear when he is nearby without fear of mauling.  Also the docks there allow you to play a nice game of cat and mouse with the bear as you pump either arrows or bullets into his lumbering frame.  

I never realised you could get on the cabin roof! Thanks for that☺

1 hour ago, Stinky socks said:

It is a little tricky to access that spot once you climb because stairs and any steps in general are a challenge for Astrid or will.

I think you might have misunderstood?  no, we're not talking about jumping up the stairs, but building a rock cairn on the steps.  The cairn can then be filled with upto 30 kilo of goods which you can fill up thereby lessening the load you are carrying.  Since your now restricted from carrying excess weight, you can climb the rope and once your run the parkour gauntlet you can retrieve you stashed goods from the top of the stairs and walk back to the cannery now extremely over encumbered.  

screen_5229c6ad-7564-4536-b7e2-00e36ce8ef4e_hi.thumb.png.1b8d3e6d064c08ebef815f52957f5c41.png

Edited by piddy3825
add image
  • Like 2

Oh no, I understand that part, but every time I tried to get to that spot after climbing a rope, I would have a hard time reaching it and leaving because Astrid would get semi-truck on those few stairs. Very difficult to raise a foot 8 inches for her.

Edit: btw, lol that's a great spot to build a rock cache. Poor Astrid trying to balance those rocks on the last couple stairs!😂

Edited by Stinky socks
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 5:54 PM, piddy3825 said:

That is probably one of the best tips anyone has made yet!  You might wanna post this gem this nugget of wisdom on the "did you know?" thread.  

Brilliant!!!

I can't take credit for this gem unfortunately. I saw this a year or so ago on here from another user. I tried to find that thread but couldn't. It is a great hack though!

50 minutes ago, Gracia_WolfSlayer said:

I can't take credit for this gem unfortunately. I saw this a year or so ago on here from another user. I tried to find that thread but couldn't. It is a great hack though!

well thanks for sharing it then.  If you scroll up a bit, you can see the pic I posted as soon as I built my rock cairn on the steps.  I can know store 30 kilos of gear, climb the rope up nearly fully encumbered and then retrieve my loot from storage bringing me to almost 70kilos of gear.  Of course I can't walk up the stairs carrying that much loot so I gotta make two trips, lol!  Either way this is a great idea and very practical solution!

So after I built one on the upper steps, I wondered if I could actually build one on the wreckage of the bottom stairs, so I went out and collected enough stones while dodging wolves and bad weather!  When I finally got back to the cannery, after numerous attempts and furious clicking, I was able to finally build another rock cairn on the extreme tip of the broken stairs.  

I didn't think that it would work, but I was able to "crawl" over the cairn on the top part of the stairs and in crouch mode was just barely able to reach the one on the bottom step!  But reach it I did!  😁 I mean just barely... I actually fell off a couple of times but kinda figured out how to hug the walls so I could now reach the bottom cache as well.  I know have 60 kilos of storage I can utilize in addition to what I am able to carry to fully out fit the cannery for long term occupancy!

20210802134925_1.thumb.jpg.a04f4eed2bc06b0e8c10651052a23b9e.jpg

view from the upper platform 

20210802134851_1.thumb.jpg.383ada3d86711e4e298644bfde8521cb.jpg

View from standing on upper rock cache, kinda feels like maybe I got one foot on that broken piece of railing right there...

20210802134902_1.thumb.jpg.6b55f8d1b5859005d2157295dc2f8f3b.jpg

opening the rock cache from above!

20210802134909_1.thumb.jpg.06f34f535a6135106cc540a2e71e7e1e.jpg

opening the upper stair rock cache , whew if only wolves could jump, I feel my backside totally exposed and hanging off the edge!

It took a little mouse jiggling to make my way back up the stairs but it was a piece of cake as soon as I stood up! 
 think this is a brilliant solution to @Sus-wolf situation and the continuing tedious rope climb/parkour course dilemma in general.

Edited by piddy3825
add images

One of my survivors is currently living in the worker kitchen area that you have to open to double doors to get to. Things cure in there and it's not too cold. You also have a stove and a bed. Tons of space. Thing is, I've been spooked often by a timberwolf stalking around the corner.

I find such schemes interesting exercises in lateral thinking, but I find that making two or thee climbs up the rope in the cannery is a lot less trouble.

I have never found a need for these stone storage containers.  If I need to store things it's easier just to drop them on the ground.  Avoiding storing food in containers has the advantage that it does not disappear when its condition reaches zero.

1 hour ago, peteloud said:

I find such schemes interesting exercises in lateral thinking, but I find that making two or thee climbs up the rope in the cannery is a lot less trouble.

I have never found a need for these stone storage containers.  If I need to store things it's easier just to drop them on the ground.  Avoiding storing food in containers has the advantage that it does not disappear when its condition reaches zero.

I think you missed the point entirely...
It's not about storage, it's about facilitating the movement of materials while minimizing the rope climbing requirement.  Using the rock storage containers, a player can load up to 60 kilos of gear climb the rope carrying an additional 30 kilos of gear, in essence being able to transport 90 kilos of gear with a single rope climb. 
Your saying you'd rather do three rope climbs and the subsequent obstacle course 3 times in order to achieve the same results?  

5 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Your saying you'd rather do three rope climbs and the subsequent obstacle course 3 times in order to achieve the same results?  

No, I do not make that obstacle course trek three times.  At the bottom of the rope I take off my heavy coat, and other heavy stuff, take on a load of 'cargo', climb the rope and dump the cargo at the top of the rope. I pop back down the rope and pick up another load, climb the rope again and dump my cargo at the top of the rope.  Pop down get my heavy coat etc, climb up the rope, pick up all my cargo and make my one trip around the obstacle course with a heavy laod.  I have never had any need to carry a load of 90 Kg.

6 hours ago, peteloud said:

No, I do not make that obstacle course trek three times.  At the bottom of the rope I take off my heavy coat, and other heavy stuff, take on a load of 'cargo', climb the rope and dump the cargo at the top of the rope. I pop back down the rope and pick up another load, climb the rope again and dump my cargo at the top of the rope.  Pop down get my heavy coat etc, climb up the rope, pick up all my cargo and make my one trip around the obstacle course with a heavy laod.  I have never had any need to carry a load of 90 Kg.

yeah okay, 

but i still only climb the rope once...

22 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

So after I built one on the upper steps, I wondered if I could actually build one on the wreckage of the bottom stairs, so I went out and collected enough stones while dodging wolves and bad weather!  When I finally got back to the cannery, after numerous attempts and furious clicking, I was able to finally build another rock cairn on the extreme tip of the broken stairs.  

WOW! That's clever! I'll have to try that sometime. I haven't found the climbing/over encumbered bit of this area that big of an issue, but I HATE the parkour course. It makes my hands sweaty. So any way around that is awesome in my book.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I find the obstacle doing the course a pain in the ass, but it's not that bad.  I would like to see it possible to make a shortcut after the first trip around.

Although I said that a make multiple rope climbs and pile cargo at the top of the rope I rarely have more than two rope climbs together.  While in that area I make several trips to the cannery workshop, going around the obstacle course.  I do not make a particular effort to store cargo until I have 30-90 Kg to transfer in one trip.  If I am passing by the cannery and needing a tool or weapon repaired or have just butchered an animal and am carrying a load of meat I might decide to pop over to the workshop.  In a single visit to BI I probably make half a dozen trip to the workshop.  I think I'd prefer the hassle of the obstacle course than the hassle of collecting stones to make stone caches during which I might be attacked by a wolf.

However, I like to see such suggestions that show lateral thinking.  The best of such ideas was from a guy who built a bridge/ladder of burnt out fires to get on to the plateau above the climbers in Ash Canyon. I tried that to make a shortcut to the cannery workshop, but it doesn't work now.

• Like 1