Reading during intestinal parasites affliction

ThePhoenics

So while gambling on a 4% chance of getting intestinal parasites for the sake of some more delicious wolf calories, I wound up stuck on my travels in a comfy farmhouse, loaded with food and fuel,  with a surplus of 5KG of books! I thought it would be a blessing in disguise, as I would have a reason to read through them all while hibernating out the parasites, only to be dismayed to discover that having parasites blocks the ability to read! I understand it would be uncomfortable and unpleasant, but it just kinda feels unfair that mid-to-long term afflictions block researching as severely as an open bleeding wound would lol so PLEASE! let us read our books while suffering from parasites!

• Upvote 5

I would suspect that the devs decided, probably quite a while ago, that having an active affliction was sufficient to block certain activities  because that made having an active affliction something to avoid.  They also included in that certain actions like freezing, starving, thirst, and exhaustion.  

The devs have not chosen to revisit the matter and make any "distinction" among the previously settled category of "afflictions" and their effects on things like research.   They have no incentive to do so at this time. 

One can agree or disagree with what they have done or not done.  

• Upvote 2

I'd like this.  While I can understand the reasons giving for HL not doing it, I still think it would be an appropriate way for HL to allow players to make rational decisions about how to maximize the use of their time in the game by deciding to keep a book around to read or keeping a crafting project "in progress" at their base to work on while recuperating from an injury.

Though I don't see great need for allowing reading only during parasitic infiltration, I like where this got my mind racing to. The TLD books are fantastic, lore art and mechanics wise! I would like to wring more use out of them. Not to hijack this one, I'll drop a new topic thanks to your initiative, @ThePhoenics!

Has anyone tried studying when your butt end is spewing brown matter all over the toilet seat? Well, I have, and it's very difficult to concentrate on leaving a reply, let alone to study how to craft some fancy leather shoes.

When you have an affliction, such as stomach infection, it makes you very weak and you only want to lie down instead of studying algebra or whatnot.

523-5230474_parasite-intestinal-parasite

1 hour ago, Stinky socks said:

Has anyone tried studying when your butt end is spewing brown matter all over the toilet seat? Well, I have, and it's very difficult to concentrate on leaving a reply, let alone to study how to craft some fancy leather shoes.

Um, thanks for sharing I guess. However, as the topic here is non-acute, long-term afflictions like ribs and parasites -- the latter of which can e.g. in the case of tapeworm last for years gradually weakening you -- they could perceivably allow reading. For balance, perhaps slower or with a chance to waste the reading effort.

Edited by Nordique

Slower might work, but in TLD, parasite infection will not take years to kill you, but rather much quicker, hence the feeling must be "agonious". The moan that Astrid gives off when eating raw meat is concerning. She does not sound like someone in good spirits to do some reading and learning. But I shall not be the judge of how she feels, for I have not been inside her, but merely a controlling player.

Hinterland will(or will not) decide if it is to be implemented(or not)

Edited by Stinky socks
Grammar.