A small map tweak ?

oplli

When you start a new playtrough, you spawn in the middle of nowhere yo udont know where you are but you can simply open the map with ¨m¨ and it will tell you in the up right corner. 

it would a nice tweak if it wasnt there at the beginning. like it tells you that you are in pleasant valley only if you found a specific place that is only in pleasant valley or if you draw with a charcoal an area of the map.

• Upvote 4

Or just remember what each spawn looks like or have  the ability to tell each of the very distinct regions apart. Also being lost at the beginning is kind of the point. Hinterland wants to give you a time where you don't know where you're going, you don't how your going to survive. When all that you know is that must survive. Not to mention that sense of relief you get when you stumble onto a familiar patch of wilderness. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 10:24 AM, RegentRelic said:

Or just remember what each spawn looks like or have  the ability to tell each of the very distinct regions apart. Also being lost at the beginning is kind of the point. Hinterland wants to give you a time where you don't know where you're going, you don't how your going to survive. When all that you know is that must survive. Not to mention that sense of relief you get when you stumble onto a familiar patch of wilderness. 

yes that is the point. thats why i think we should no longer be able to know where we are by looking at the map (at the beggining of a sandbox game

10 minutes ago, oplli said:

yes that is the point. thats why i think we should no longer be able to know where we are by looking at the map (at the beggining of a sandbox game

I don't know if I played The Long Dark for a lot or a little compared to other players (Steam says 473 hours but that includes playing the campaign and idle time with the game running while doing other things).
However: I player Interloper exclusively and I always know from the first view looks where I am (at least which region). It's - after some start - really not that hard to tell because every region you can start in looks very different to one another (Ocean, burned trees, steep mountain, obvious forlorn muskeg, obvious pleasant valley and if none would apply - hushed river valley)

Edited by Lycrist

5 hours ago, oplli said:

Either you edited your post or I’m so used to people asking for the map to tell them more information that I complete miss read.