Justifications for a muzzleloader or shotgun

Willy Pete

I'm going to start this off by saying that as the game currently stands weapon balance is perfect and we don't need any new weapons (besides the bear spear). However, either of these two items would satisfy a desire to fill up slots on the weapons wheel and so I'll make an argument for them to be added. Both of these weapons would be rare, maybe even rarer than the distress pistol with select, hard-to-reach locations as spawns.

First up: the muzzleloader. I've seen posts about this one before and while they never really struck my fancy, I do think it could have a place among the other weapons in the game. At its core, the muzzleloader would consume gunpowder and bullets in order to fire, not requiring cases like the other two firearms. This would make it somewhat more lucrative at lower levels when your gunsmithing skills aren't quite up to par yet.

To give it a stand-out place among the other weapons, the muzzleloader would be loaded from the menu, requiring X number of minutes to load (this time requirement would decrease as skill with it increased). It would deal more damage and have a faster bleed-out time than the rifle, but it would also degrade much faster and consume slightly more gunpowder per shot than crafting rifle cartridges. It would weigh 1-2 kgs more and to top it off, could only be fired from the standing position (until level 5) and regardless of level prevent movement when sighted in. Accuracy would be slightly lower than the rifle.

Second: a single-barrel hunting shotgun. I posted about this once before and while I'll admit it didn't fit in then, it could have a place now after the gunsmithing update. How, you might ask? By making shotgun shells non-reloadable and have them decay over time like flare rounds do. Once the shells decay you can still harvest them for powder (and bullets for slug rounds), but they can't be fired thus rendering the shotgun useless for anything outside of scrap.

I think it would be harder to implement than the muzzleloader, at least with the option to have buckshot, slugs, and maybe birdshot. Overall, it would be a slow-firing but versatile weapon with a potential for high damage. Accuracy would be lower than the rifle, but not ridiculously so.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 5:40 PM, Willy Pete said:

the muzzleloader

The muzzleloader seems like it belongs here in TLD.

Following the loss of most technology and most supply chains for goods, reverting to the muzzleloader fits the game lore.

• No need for factory manufactured ammunition
  • Some locations would feel more realistic with a muzzleloader vs. the rifle
  • Flints and or Caps would fit this game's story very well, (we do not have primers except at the BI Cannery reloading bench)
  • Muzzle loader would utilize cloth and powder and ball ammo, (very realistic crafting items)
  • Condition loss could be restored with simple lamp oil and cloth, (no need for rifle cleaning kit)

And finally; it must be the dream of at least a few Hinterland Developers to make a new animation for a black powder muzzle flash. :coffee:

Edited by s7mar7in
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

...First up: the muzzleloader...

Second: a single-barrel hunting shotgun...

I wouldn't mind a muzzleloader seems like it would be fun and as @s7mar7insaid it fits the long dark due to the economic crash of great bear now the shotgun seems a bit much in my mind a shotgun just doesn't fit well in the long dark.

To give it a stand-out place among the other weapons, the muzzleloader would be loaded from the menu,

This however I don't agree with, having to open the menu everytime you need to reload would be annoying yes it could save some time and resources as hinterland wouldn't have to develop animations but still I wouldn't use it if I had to open the menu each time to reload as it massively breaks immersion.

However The idea is fun, I personally don't see neither of these getting added. hinterland has said before that they don't want the long dark to be a first person shooter so they don't want to add too many guns and I personally believe that hinterland won't add any more than what we already have as they are already a good complement. We have a rifle for hunting deer and bears, a sidearm for defense and a bow for a long term. If hinterland adds any more guns I would be surprised.

• Like 2

Well if I was a developer I would add 2 weapons

Muzzleloader and

The Modern Pistol

Modern Pistol would be a new weapons it would do more damage than the revolver but lower damage than the rifle

it speciality is its firing speed 

it would be the fastest weapons in the game but its drawbacks would be its inacuraccy and rarety of its ammo

• 2 weeks later...

I posted a response on another similar topic about being able to craft black powder and a muzzle loader  but the main advantage of a simple smooth bore muzzle loader is you could smash some stones with your heavy hammer or the back of your hatchet and have a shotgun to hunt rabbits or crows.  You could even give the player the ability to smash stones into larger pieces and use it to shoot at wolves.    Then if you wanted to go large game hunting load it with round ball.   Later in the game you could upgrade your skills and equipment to be able to do minie ball for better accuracy and range!

Powder could be found, harvested from cartridges (let's skip over how dangerous that is IRL!) or crafted from minerals that you create after finding raw materials in mines or around the environment.

This isn't a hunting simulator. We already have three weapons. Four if we count stone to stun the rabbits.

Edit: although a silenced rifle with scope and would be sick!! Maybe an AK-47 against Timberwolves! that'll set them right quick! After all, we do have all those slots in the weapons ring!

Edited by Stinky socks

2 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

This isn't a hunting simulator.

Agree completely, and I am not at all worried that the Hinterland Team would ever lose their focus on the survival elements of TLD.

That said, due to the high calorie requirements for the harsh Winter environment, hunting is the only way to sustain life in-game.

The carbine muzzleloader rifle could be an excellent and powerful single shot weapon with a lighter carry weight compared to rifle.

Reload time would be longer than other weapons, but a loaded muzzleloader could remain loaded for (30) days if protected from wet weather.

In the event Hinterland were to offer a "Muzzleloader DLC Pack", I would buy it instantly for myself and gift it to my daughters and friends.

DLC Pack could Include some of the following:

• Includes blueprints to craft (3) Stocks, [Hunting, Carbine, Hawken], in cedar, fur, and walnut.
  • Includes long barrel Flint-lock, long barrel Cap-lock, and short barrel cap-lock variants.
  • Adds ability to craft Rifle Sling, [Reduces rifle carry weight 25%]
  • Adds ability to craft deer hide satchel, [Reduces ammo and powder weight 25%]
  • Adds ability to craft black powder, cloth patches, ball ammo, ramrod, and basic cleaning kit.
  • New weapon animation includes muzzle flash which may cause predator wildlife to flee.

The ability to "Craft/Assemble/Customize" a weapon system based on personal preference could be especially meaningful in the isolation of TLD. :coffee:

Edited by s7mar7in

But why bother when there are superior weapons out there already? I don't see how it would improve gameplay other than just a novelty..

An automatic weapon would be far more useful. Short bursts would take care of the timberwolves and a guaranteed kill for bigger game.

Edited by Stinky socks

• 1 month later...

I would love the Muzzleloader DLC pack you suggested. Maybe we could find them in a forgotten attic, or hanging above the fireplace in an old hunting or mining cabin.

i suggest using scrap lead + Forge to craft lead shot for muzzleloader.

The game doesn't need any modern pistols or rifles.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...