A great sea adventure (survival mode)

axez

It's time to build a boat!

Hey guys. It would be a great quest to build a small boat! And a great adventure after it is built.
Just think about. You will need to find/craft parts, materials, instruments left in different locations of Great Bear island.
Next, you'll need to build (or repair?) a boat somewhere by the coast for a significant time.
Then the most dangerous part - you will sail to a new location: distant icy island that might be seen in horizon from coastal highway. The fog, the wind, low temperature, no navigation while sailing - must wear A LOT of warm and waterproof clothes and have a LOT of luck to get there alive! ;)
So you step on new location - a sleepy volcano with caves, thermal water sources (geysers?), climbing ropes, maybe some coal but no wood at all. All wood you have is what you came with.
At the end, on the highest peak, you will find a great treasure, of course!  Let's say, an ocean fishing rod so you could use a boat in further to catch a big fish. I'm not sure why it's left on the top of volcano. But your way here was a die hard quest, the reward should be awesome!
And, as a bonus, you will see a whole Great Bear island from the distance.

So. When we will build a boat, Hinterland?

Edited by axez
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, axez said:

It's time to build a boat!

Hey guys. It would be a great quest to build a small boat! And a great adventure after it is built.
Just think about. You will need to find/craft parts, materials, instruments left in different locations of Great Bear island.
Next, you'll need to build (or repair?) a boat somewhere by the coast for a significant time.
Then the most dangerous part - you will sail to a new location: distant icy island that might be seen in horizon from coastal highway. The fog, the wind, low temperature, no navigation while sailing - must wear A LOT of warm and waterproof clothes and have a LOT of luck to get there alive! ;)
So you step on new location - a sleepy volcano with caves, thermal water sources (geysers?), climbing ropes, maybe some coal but no wood at all. All wood you have is what you came with.
At the end, on the highest peak, you will find a great treasure, of course!  Let's say, an ocean fishing rod so you could use a boat in further to catch a big fish. I'm not sure why it's left on the top of volcano. But your way here was a die hard quest, the reward should be awesome!
And, as a bonus, you will see a whole Great Bear island from the distance.

So. When we will build a boat, Hinterland?

Firstly, let me say that I do like this idea! I was thinking there should be a more oceanic zone, with more sea ice and, since we see dead ones in Wintermute, the occasional lurking orca swimming around our makeshift raft. 

Terrain:

A small island (though decidedly not a volcano, in my humble opinion) would be great! I have also seen some amazing fan-made concept art of a huge wrecked ocean liner, perhaps an ice-breaker that lost power as it was headed South, that beached on a sandbar or an iceflow. The ship would serve much like the cave systems on the rest of Great Bear, with passageways and corridors. Small islands could speckle the area, some connected by sea ice, some not. Perhaps a lifeboat can be found beached on one, or on the ship, so that in the lower difficulties, if your makeshift raft breaks, there is a realistic chance you can still escape back to the mainland. 

Weather:

Storms with big waves would be really cool to add, though we could do without them, for the same of ease for the developers. Tides, however, would be really cool to incorporate! Perhaps, like with the Aurora affecting accessibility in the Carter Dam, high tide could restrict access to the lower part of the shipwreck, or reveal some islands that are usually underwater! And once you're there, you'd best get out quick, before the tide returns in a few hours! 

Animals:

There would be no deer or rabbits in this region. Instead, an excellent but difficult to hunt alternative could be seals, sitting on the rocks or on the deck of the shipwreck! Careful now, seals are no joke, and even if you do manage to shoot one, it might just dive down into the water, attracting another predator... As stated before, we know Great Bear has orca whales in its waters, though many have died. Just imagine a long, sleek black fin slicing through the waves as it approaches your boat, or a massive jaw leaping up to grab the seal you were just about to capture! In fact, orcas would also serve as a great way to restrict the borders of the region without obvious walls. It's simple- you go to far, you see fins, and if you don't turn back, your boat will get bumped and flipped. There is also the possibility of a polar bear walking across the sea ice, possibly onto the shipwreck, but I honestly feel like polar bears are still out of place here; Great Bear is still too far South, and with the world getting colder, they'd actually be more up North than usual. Additionally, puffins or other sea birds could replace crows, though again, this doesn't really matter. Fish would remain the same.

Items:

The ship will certainly have a decent amount of the regular items- flares, rations, and some cozy mariner's peacoats. The craftable raft could be made with recovered wood and cured gut, with perhaps the option to create an oar. There would also be one or two premade lifeboats to be found in the region, as a new item. New clothing or items would also be added, and would be craft able using seal skin. 

The location is obvious- it would connect Desolation Point

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

Add scuba gear for some underwater exploration 👍

Haha, sorry, but I'm afraid that is where I would draw the line; already this region would be pushing it somewhat, and I feel like scuba gear is just too much of a leap. It just would cease to feel like the Long Dark, lol.

• Like 1

I always thaught it would be nice to have a region that is only accessible by a boat or a small raft. althought i really think it would be nice if we could actually do actions il the boat like repair clothes, make a small fire in a cooking pot or fish ( without the need of a hole ) 

Maybe the only way to get food on that island would be to take a small trip to the open sea and gather some fishes. or maybe birds and small plants that are unique to that region.

I agree with @oplli that having an offshore region accessible only by boat from Desolation Point would be very cool. Perhaps one of the rowboats beside the Lonely Lighthouse could be used for said purpose? Even if they're merely a teleport with a cutscene, there'd still be ways to make them interesting, for example:

• needing to find some reclaimed wood and scrap metal to fix the boat in harder difficulties
  • only allowing travel when the weather's fair