Question about wild life hunting and damage

starlin

Do animals have a condition (flat HP) pool? If so, does it take direct damage from hits? Or is the only way to kill an animal (especially big game) via crits and/or bleed out?

The wiki isn't clear about this, and I'm trying to figure out if multiple hits + bleed out can lower the total time it takes for it to die. I know bleeds don't stack. I've seen people talk about taking multiple shots; and I'm wondering if (mechanically) this is taking damage, or just rolling crits.

No, they do not have "hp". When they are hit, RNG is rolled, if the hit is a crit, then the animal dies. If it's not, then based on the location, a bleed-out timer is set, and once it runs out, the animal dies. If you shoot it again, then RNG is rolled again for a crit, if no crit, then nothing happens, as there is already a bleed out timer active. You can only crit an animal in the head or chest, otherwise it will only ever take bleed damage. Some spots (like the foot) will bleed, but will stop bleeding before the animal dies.

Ok, thats concerning then........ I had a run in with a Moose, and crowned it in a panic. And while harvesting the moose, a bear showed up.... and crowned it in a panic as well. Aside from needing new inner pants, I came out of it with tons of meat and a moose hide satchel. But thats when I started wondering how reliable head shots are, since I need a second bear skin to make a bed roll (which I haven't had for the past 20+ days), and thought I should start hunting them.

So checked the wiki....... Turns out head shots are not that reliable against those 2 things specifically. Wiki doesn't explicitly state it... but kind of implies a 25% crit chance on the head for a moose. Bear states ~30%, so thats not exactly good odds. Glad I thought to look this up before attempting to go on the offensive.

In my experience what @SpanishMoss says is not true. For example, you can absolutely kill a bear with three or four arrows from behind. Also, for example, raising the archery skill increases arrow damage (separate from critical hit chance). It's not clear what this could mean if the only mechanisms were critical hits and bleed-out.

This might help clarify (unless something has changed since this was posted by Raph):

Wildlife have a variety of "hit locations" on their bodies (most have 6) and each location has different stats for hits there affect the animal, mostly around Bleedout rates, damage, and critical chances. There are also modifiers for the type of weapon used, in terms of how it affects those values. (Milton Mailbox 3)

When the question was raised in Milton Mailbox 7 if animals have condition, Raph simply answered “Yes”.

Edited by The Ravages of Time

6 hours ago, Dr. S. said:

In my experience what @SpanishMoss says is not true. For example, you can absolutely kill a bear with three or four arrows from behind. Also, for example, raising the archery skill increases arrow damage (separate from critical hit chance). It's not clear what this could mean if the only mechanisms were critical hits and bleed-out.

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my post that multiple shots to one area increase crit chance, even if that area does not have a starting crit chance, meaning shooting the foot repeatedly, (however unlikely) can result in a crit. As for "damage" in the skill progression, that reduces the time it takes to bleed out, for example 60min>55min.

Edited by SpanishMoss
missing words