Dynamic world

Vareta

This as already been discussed, but I believe it is important to bring this conversation to light. The world of great beat is completely unchanging, aside from the temperature, every single day is kinda the same. What is proposed is certain “events”, that spice up a little the gameplay, these could come in many forms but the one that most interests me is this one: 

The big blizzard: basically at a random number of days, a long and violent blizzard sweeps through great bear, making temperatures drop drastically, to the point where even inside you could be at risk of freezing. Before the storm you’d be able to see  flocks of birds flying away... and in the days bafore it hits the weather would be absolutly perfect, not a single cloud in the sky, it would only be the calm before the storm, literally.

I believe this would give something to look forward too, I mean you never do that in this game, it’s always the present you worrie about not the future.

When it comes to other events there are probably a meriad of other cool ideas, I just don’t have the imagination to invent them, so please if you have any other ideas share them ! :) 

Thank you and a merry Christmas to all

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vareta said:

This as already been discussed, but I believe it is important to bring this conversation to light. The world of great beat is completely unchanging, aside from the temperature, every single day is kinda the same. What is proposed is certain “events”, that spice up a little the gameplay, these could come in many forms but the one that most interests me is this one: 

The big blizzard: basically at a random number of days, a long and violent blizzard sweeps through great bear, making temperatures drop drastically, to the point where even inside you could be at risk of freezing. Before the storm you’d be able to see  flocks of birds flying away... and in the days bafore it hits the weather would be absolutly perfect, not a single cloud in the sky, it would only be the calm before the storm, literally.

I believe this would give something to look forward too, I mean you never do that in this game, it’s always the present you worrie about not the future.

When it comes to other events there are probably a meriad of other cool ideas, I just don’t have the imagination to invent them, so please if you have any other ideas share them ! :) 

Thank you and a merry Christmas to all

Oh this would be fantastic maybe your survivor passively warns you by saying "looks like a storm is coming I better prepare"  then the build up of gathering enough food, water and wood to ride out this great storm and the satisfaction after making it through would be so fun. It reminds me of the Whiteout challenge which is probably my favorite challenge just the build up for the storm was so fun as I had a set goal to accomplish. I'm with this 100% 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Ps4Methuselah said:

Yes...i love it when a big storm hits & i am prepared with provisions, firewood & H2o.

Another idea could be an avalanche that blocks the exit from a region for a set period of time...say a week or so. Now you have to live off whatever is there because there is no escape.:coffee: 

Mhh... avalanche would be a little to hard to implement , anything that actively changes the map isn’t very viable. I’m trying to think of another way to imprison you in a region, but I’m not coming up with anything... :( 

• Upvote 2

I think that's what the challenges are for.  Some players really like the ability to just do what they want when they want during a survival run.  They do run some seasonal events like 4DON (4 Day of Night) and they ran the Darkwalker event during Halloween season this year (and that event has since become the Darkwalker Challenge).

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I think that's what the challenges are for.  Some players really like the ability to just do what they want when they want during a survival run.  They do run some seasonal events like 4DON (4 Day of Night) and they ran the Darkwalker event during Halloween season this year (and that event has since become the Darkwalker Challenge).

Indeed, the challenges do bring a new light to the game. But by adding this sort of system to survival mode it would also give you a little bit of a reason to continue surviving. Right now when I see those 500 day runs made by other people, I don’t think “wow they must be extremely skilled players”no, I think “Wow they must be extremely pacient people to play what is at some point a boring game”. If someone didn’t want to play whith this they could always probably turn it off.

1 hour ago, Vareta said:

Indeed, the challenges do bring a new light to the game. But by adding this sort of system to survival mode it would also give you a little bit of a reason to continue surviving. Right now when I see those 500 day runs made by other people, I don’t think “wow they must be extremely skilled players”no, I think “Wow they must be extremely pacient people to play what is at some point a boring game”. If someone didn’t want to play whith this they could always probably turn it off.

At the expense and displeasure of those players who don't like or want to play "challenges" within their survival worlds.  If you're bored in your survival world, take a break from it and play a challenge.  It's an option for you... don't force them upon every survival player.  You also have the option of playing story mode, if you want to be given quests/tasks to do and have inevitable scripted events happen to you.

I once suggested that they allow players to merely change their difficulty settings at will during their runs which would allow players who start out on an easier mode to keep the run going after they get more skilled by increasing the difficulty.  The suggestion met with a lot of protest.  What you're suggesting arbitrarily forces an effective change in difficulty on every player at times in the run that the player themselves cannot control or prevent.  I don't think that's a good idea. 

If it is introduced, then at least have an accessibility toggle where it can be switched off entirely (without the "expense" of losing feat progression; i.e. making the run into a custom game).

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

If it is introduced, then at least have an accessibility toggle where it can be switched off entirely (without the "expense" of losing feat progression; i.e. making the run into a custom game).

Totally fair and definitely reasonable. Could just be toggled in custom game settings. 

Well we disagree on this, it’s normal. But in the end, it al comes to the devs and what their vision of the game is, which I’m not certain alignes with this suggestion, so if it doesn’t, it should be discarded. 

Either way thank you for your criticism.

42 minutes ago, Vareta said:

Totally fair and definitely reasonable. Could just be toggled in custom game settings. 

Well we disagree on this, it’s normal. But in the end, it al comes to the devs and what their vision of the game is, which I’m not certain alignes with this suggestion, so if it doesn’t, it should be discarded. 

Either way thank you for your criticism.

Custom game settings disable feat progression (which would be a penalty to players who simply don't want to play "your game."  Custom games are gnerally viewed by hardcore players as being a "cheat" - a way to make the game "easier" (even though that's not necessarily the case even now). They could isntead, enable feat progression within cusotm games.  The basic problem is the "pissing contest" that hardcore players insist on dumping onto more casual ones.. which denies access to game features to more casual palyers.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Custom game settings disable feat progression (which would be a penalty to players who simply don't want to play "your game."  They could isntead, enable feat progression within cusotm games.  The basic problem is the "pissing contest" that hardcore players insist on dumping onto more casual ones.. which denies access to game features to more casual palyers.

Well if it’s that much of a bother there could always be an option to turn it off or not outside custom. 

But really I cannot understand why someone would hate this a lot. I mean it’s just something to adapt to, the same way you adapt to the weather outside, with the added bonus of being pretty cool and interesting. I don’t think adding only new regions and some items will make this game appealing to new players. But again this may not be what the creators see for the game, and that’s totally fine, they’ve made an amazing job so far. I just hope that they’ll add something completely new that’s good for the game.

Edited by Vareta
Wording