adding jumping mechanic

Dormantbinkie7

Jumping should be a thing with the same limitations as climbing, can't do it while encumbered. With as easy as it is in this game to become stuck in places you can't get out of, taking off your gear and being able to jump over a tiny rock that somehow completely stymies you would be a nice addition.

• Upvote 1

While it would be nice in some cases it would also cause issues. TLD makes very deliberate use of terrain. Much more so than other similar games. There are certainly a lot of things you should be able climb over, but jumping could also open up paths that should stay closed.

In any case this is obviously not a technical issue 9_9

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

From what I hear, the development team decided that the capacity to jump would introduce a lot of potential problems into the game.   Since they are the ones who would have to swat the bugs, I defer to their opinion. 

I would like the capacity to step over low obstacles like railroad tracks, discontinuities in a surface like a dock, and such but have no idea of the difficulty in providing that.  I do know on a sizeable area scale that certain actions for getting up on something (i.e. log rafts in Log Sort) has been made easier,  but have no idea how that might be applied (lacking knowledge of the programming) to smaller spots. 

The fact that you can't jump can be frustrating sometimes, I get it. But it's realistic. When I'm carrying a full backpack in real life, the highest things that I can step over (which, I do confess, would be convenient sometimes) are about 30-35 cm high (and I'm around 185 cm tall). When it comes to actually jumping straight up, getting up onto something that is taller than around 50-60 cm is extremely difficult. If I'd have to get up onto something taller than 50-60 cm while wearing a full backpack, I'd have to run full speed towards the thing I'm trying to get up.... at this point, it becomes more like running up onto something. My capabilities max out at around 1-1.5 meters, depending on how slippery the thing is I want to get up onto.

I for one am glad that Hinterland didn't add the ability to jump with a full backpack. It's annoying to see many survival games where the player, fully loaded, can jump right over guardrails and fences up to 1m tall as if they don't exist. Most people can't jump that high easily.

Jumping would nice but its only really relevant because there are a number of places where your character just gets stuck on almost invisible geometry that the game thinks is a wall or too steep a hill to pass, fixing the pathing across all regions would go a long way to alleviating the need for a jump at all.

Edited by Ham