The dumbest thing I have ever done.

theisaactrain

Disclaimer before I write this, 1. This is my first post so I apologize for any grammar, or spelling mistakes, and 2. I play on voyager because I am the type of person who likes to explore, and enjoy the wildernesses more than have a true survival challenge. 

I had spent the last few days in Bleak Inlet, exploring the plateau of the region, and then the bottom. My goal was to try the ammunition crafting, and get into the workshop, I had recently climbed Timberwolf Mountain and had enough food and water to last me what felt like years. One rare day in the inlet, the weather was great. I was walking around the northern part of the part of the region, where the water feeds into the bay. I spotted a moose. As I noted earlier, I play in voyager, so I thought it faced no threat to me. I was armed with a revolver, and decided I was going to hunt this moose with a revolver. Dumbest mistake ever. As the moose charged me I got scared, I shot it 3 times hoping it would flee, but it never did. As it was trampling me I was scared. I thought I was going to lose this save. The moose got me down half my condition, and scared it was going to charge again, I scampered my way to a nearby trailer, and spent the day there. The next day I hobbled my way back to the canary, and picked up my stuff. I made a slow trek through the cave of the Muskeg, and eventually got to Mystery Lake, and then to my base, the Trappers Cabin. Say all you want about the Trappers Cabin being a bad base, I love the setting, and the interior. It's my home. I finally saw, the 100 hour recover time for the broken ribs, and I was pissed to say the least. I'm no die-hard player of this game, so 100 hours was a while to me. Luckily I used this time to do some good things. I organized all my crap, along with melting gallons upon gallons of snow. I got rid of some of the local wildlife, and fancied myself some deerskin boots. (Mind the fact that I was rocking some leather shoes) I went out and gathered what was enough firewood to last me many months, but I never left Mystery Lake. I now had some respect for the wildlife, that until the point I was trampled by that moose I didn't have. I now know that even though I am in voyager, I should still take some precautions. 

Edited by theisaactrain
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 4

Glad to finally see another who prefers Voyager, haha. I also prefer the whole exploration and mild survival aspect of it to the harsh Interloper setting (plus, I'm nowhere near good enough to try that mode yet, haha)

I had a similar experience on one of my first attempts of TLD where I thought that revolvers were like rifles, and tried to shoot a bear. 

Long story short, it didn't like it 😂

Anyways, nice story! I'm glad that moose didn't totally ruin the save

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Mystery Lake resident said:

I'm hoping I haven't done the dumbest thing I ve ever done. I have been playing voyager for the a lonnnggg time, this year I finally moved up to the next level. I'm on day 71, survived 5 wolve attacks, 4 bear attacks, and now I am stuck in cider mills, or something, waiting for aurora borealis,  with cabin fever. Aghhh

Ahh yes, ol' Cinder Hills Coal Mine.  You went to the middle level during an Aurora and either it ended or you slept there before realizing you'd be stuck.  I sure hope you have enough food and water. 

I've read about and witnessed this happening before.  The general consensus is to Tear up your boots but cancel before it's completed. This is, in essence, a way to "pass time", since the game won't let you pass time normally. I hope this helps!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wilsonaka said:

Ahh yes, ol' Cinder Hills Coal Mine.  You went to the middle level during an Aurora and either it ended or you slept there before realizing you'd be stuck.  I sure hope you have enough food and water. 

I've read about and witnessed this happening before.  The general consensus is to Tear up your boots but cancel before it's completed. This is, in essence, a way to "pass time", since the game won't let you pass time normally. I hope this helps!

I prepared for being stuck. Just not cabin fever. I tried what you suggested. Its brilliant. Hope the boriealis comes soon.😀

I play custom Voyager. Not sure why make things harder than they are, you're out in the cold and you're all alone, cut yourself some slack!!

I disabled cabin fever because in reality, also I disabled sleep as skill, now I can sleep as long as I like!!(just like in real life on saturdays..sometimes) and to make it a little challenging, i started off with low materials and set worldly materials to medium, wolves to medium, bears to i dont remember what and some other stuff to medium.

Enjoying life, but still can die I guess :)I also like trappers place in mystery lake! It's nice, small and cozy. Has little stove and bed, work bench is a bonus. I just wish there was unlimited lantern fuel or more light! I could stay there all my astrid life!! Also, backyard is great!:) really enjoying everything there, but I am at Molly's place right now. Haven't seen a moose yet, have 70x revolver rounds and like 16 Lee enfield

haven't hunted yet, because lotsa dog food and chocolate bars!sorry, got carried away..I now fade into the long dark..

• Like 1

Dumbest thing I’ve done (I think) was setting off from the BI cannery to the cabin along the river... in an aurora.  
The Timberwolf pack attacked me halfway there and they were amped up and super vicious.  They attacked every few seconds taking a chunk out of me, moving fast and the game saved after every bite slowing down my reactions.  I never got much chance to do anything but die... 211 days in on Stalker.