Pilgrim mode, some thoughts so far

Adamo

Super new to TLD and really loving it, i can't see a stick in real life without wanting to grab it :)

Playing Wintermute as a way to get into the mechanics of the game as ive never played a survival game before, or one that has crafting as an element. I've gotten as far as the Bear spear and am about to take it back for repair at the forge.

However, I'm starting to feel that i need to go start again on Voyageur, once i got past the shock of the plane crash and the immediate canyon survival ive started to feel the embarrassment of riches lying about to eat and drink just means its too easy. I presume things are going to continue being pretty easy on Pilgrim? 

I don't necessarily think that Green Survivor mode is giving you any more loot than the next level up.
There does seem to be quite a bit effect on how aggressive  wovles and timberwolves are in the game between the various difficulties so dont be surprised if you have to work a little harder staying alive in Capable mode.  It's pretty satisfying though when you get that first shot kill shot and you can just see all the wolf morale just pop like a bubble!

Game on!

Yeah I just made it to grey mother and there’s much less free food hanging about in buildings , plus more wolves in town already :) kind of dreading that first wolf attack as my eyesight makes menus pretty slow going, I might go watch some YouTube’s as I can’t be rushing an interface for a battle with my eyes and small text 

I think you get a bit more loot as a  Green survivor. That said - there is no shame in playing on a green survivor. I have been playing the game since alpha, and after taking like a half-year vacation from the game, I booted a Voyageour difficulty and died fairly fast simply because I overestimated my survival capabilities. Then I played on Green survivor in a story mode because it has saves and I quickly got accustomed to the game once again. This game has a pretty steep learning curve, and the thing that kills you more often then anything else simply simply overestimating your own capabilities. 

That said - if you can finish the three story modes so far on a Capable survivor, and then do a couple of challenges as well, you will be perfectly ready for your first long-term survival game in a sandbox, on either Voyageur or maybe even Stalker. 

In the end, the decision on what to play on comes to what you want from the game. If you enjoy the survival aspects so far, you might want to play a game on voyageuresk difficulty. If you want to challenge yourself hard, go for Interloper. If you enjoy dodging dangeour predators - its Stalker for you. If you prefer just exploration, Pilgrim is a good choice. Personally, I like survival the most, so im playing a Custom mode as sandbox which is similar to Voyageur, but a bit easier one. I only tuned up the weather to be more difficult as I like to struggle with the weather changes and it throwing wrenches into my plans for the day.

Edited by Mroz4k
  • Upvote 1

I am past that age where to be considered any sort of expert in a game, one must play on the most difficult setting because everyone else does it. I use this game to get into an environment after a day's work to lose myself into where nobody is expecting a damn thing from me. I've tried Interloper and yes it does offer a substantial challenge where one will die quickly if one underestimates the game. But 'for me', the best way to enjoy the game is on Voyageur where there is a threat from wildlife & at the same time there is enough to get through. I enjoy walking and exploring the landscape and it is an exceptional experience to take in the solitude. In that sense, I've played on Pilgrim specifically for the Faithful Cartographer achievement, but it did get boring to be the alpha predator on the maps all the time. ;)

I recently played the story mode again on Capable Survivor as I had missed a couple of side missions last time. Episodes 1 & 2 didn't seem that different, but in Episode 3 the behaviour of the Timberwolves was more aggressive & frequent. Stocking up on ammo is definitely advisable. I usually also carry extra fleece mittens and wool caps. There are times I've changed to these when the TW announce their arrival. It is easier to repair cloth based gear than leather based. :) Great game, no doubt! 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 3:17 AM, Adamo said:

Super new to TLD and really loving it, i can't see a stick in real life without wanting to grab it :)

Playing Wintermute as a way to get into the mechanics of the game as ive never played a survival game before, or one that has crafting as an element. I've gotten as far as the Bear spear and am about to take it back for repair at the forge.

However, I'm starting to feel that i need to go start again on Voyageur, once i got past the shock of the plane crash and the immediate canyon survival ive started to feel the embarrassment of riches lying about to eat and drink just means its too easy. I presume things are going to continue being pretty easy on Pilgrim? 

100% restart now.

I made this mistake, got all the way through Ep 3 on Pilgrim and it's stupidly easy.

Here's my thoughts on the various game difficulties:

• Pilgrim is excellent for getting to know the layout of the maps, especially if you're new to survival games. With a lack of predators and really not much of a challenge, the gameplay does get a little boring though after a while.
  • Voyageur is good if you have experience with other survival games or have watched other people play the game on YouTube. You get the full gameplay experience of wildlife and weather, without it being so difficult that it becomes frustrating. Of the preset gamemodes, it's honestly my favourite way to play the game, and it can be quite challenging if you started somewhere such as Timberwolf Mountain.
  • Stalker isn't that much harder that Voyageur in terms of finding vital resources early on, but you will get attacked by predators a lot more frequently. Be prepared to do a lot of shooting/flare-lighting/predator-leading! I play this difficulty in my YouTube series to make it a bit more dramatic.
  • Interloper can be extremely satisfying if you keep on cheating death by a whisker, but at the same time, it can also become incredibly frustrating incredibly fast if you keep dying. You pretty much have to use loot tables and/or maps like the ones made by StmSantana unless you've explored every nook and cranny of every single map beforehand.
Edited by Glflegolas
add mention of YouTube series