I took aim and killed that Rabbit - First Bow kill

Lumiiyx

I have been having trouble aiming and killing an animal be it revolver, rifle or with a bow n arrow. I am currently at Pensive Pond to do some fishing and gather any surrounding supplies before moving on to Signal Hill. So between fishing, wood gathering and reading, my snare has netted no rabbits as yet. One was on the pond, moving target. Took aim, readjusted and fired. Blood splattered and the rabbit was gutted. I broke my arrow, but that's fine. I can make more at the farmstead. So proud of myself, especially with a small target. The deer and wolves are next.  I really wanted to get this skill down so I can eat more than snared rabbit and fish or food left behind.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, PurpleWolf13 said:

A well done job! I never have tried to use the bow and arrow to take down a rabbit, always use stones. And sometimes stones, I struggle to aim and strike properly.

Thanks. I have tried to stone a rabbit and even when I think I have the rabbit centered between my forefinger and thumb I still miss. I did take some archery in school, but that was so long ago and it's not exactly the same lol doing it in game even with a first person pov. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Guest jeffpeng
20 hours ago, PrincessAutumn said:

It's so invigorating to finally kill something

Now if that isn't an out-of-context-gem if I ever seen one. ^^

On topic: getting the aim right is one of the harder aspects of the game, and I like how they let most of it depend on player skill rather than in-game mechanics. Together with knowing you item locations, knowing your maps by heart and learning how to deal with predators that's part of what I call the "hidden progression system" in the long dark. And I personally like that a lot.

2 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Now if that isn't an out-of-context-gem if I ever seen one. ^^

On topic: getting the aim right is one of the harder aspects of the game, and I like how they let most of it depend on player skill rather than in-game mechanics. Together with knowing you item locations, knowing your maps by heart and learning how to deal with predators that's part of what I call the "hidden progression system" in the long dark. And I personally like that a lot.

True enough. I don't know the maps well as yet, so my custom would be considered easy mode. I figured getting my skills and learning the map in an easier setting would help me to immerse more and not get frustrated and quit. I love the no hand holding since some games basically lead you.

Guest jeffpeng
Just now, LumiStylesTTV said:

True enough. I don't know the maps well as yet, so my custom would be considered easy mode. I figured getting my skills and learning the map in an easier setting would help me to immerse more and not get frustrated and quit. I love the no hand holding since some games basically lead you.

That's a good approach. I mean despite all the hardships the game throws at you .... it's supposed to be fun. 🙂

2 hours ago, LumiStylesTTV said:

That's my hope, wolf meat and clothing will soon be mine.  The Bow seems easier than the gun, at least more renewable I guess.

Both are effective I find. The rifle is better in terms of killing power but the bow is easily good enough for wolves(maybe not timber wolves? I haven't played with them enough). The bow is far lighter though which can be useful.