Rifle variants

Themadlad94

Different variants of rifles. Wouldn’t affect the stats of the weapon, just change the appearance. I’m thinking of the version we have, and a more modern, tactical version. I’m pretty sure I saw a video where people out in remote Alaska talk about how they get their guns delivered, so modern firearms in Great Bear could be a possibility.

The devs have already stated they will not be expanding the number of firearms. They believe the long range hunting rifle, for hunting, and the short range pistol, for scaring animals (I like to hunt with it though), are sufficient for the game and they do not want to inadvertently turn this into a first person shooter.

4 hours ago, Patriot said:

The devs have already stated they will not be expanding the number of firearms. They believe the long range hunting rifle, for hunting, and the short range pistol, for scaring animals (I like to hunt with it though), are sufficient for the game and they do not want to inadvertently turn this into a first person shooter.

I meant just cosmetically change the appearance. Wouldn’t affect how the rifle works just changes how it looks.

Edited by Themadlad94
Grammar

I believe they have commented on that as well and said they aren't doing it. I don't feel strongly about that one way or another. I actually care more that your hands are always bare on your avatar since you see your hands often and you can't really live without gloves.

Edited by Patriot

1 hour ago, Corso said:

maybe with mod support being suggested

but I doubt it's high up on the list

I'd rather the rifle was change out to more primative tec like a crossbow or throwing spear

The problem is I play on console, so mods are unavailable for me. A throwing spear would be pretty cool as a more primitive weapon.

• Upvote 1

I also suggested Colt Canada C9, which is the main firearm for Canadian Rangers at this moment. As far as I know, replacement of LEs to C9 is finished some time last year. When TLD was under development, C9 was in the test phase and was not officially accepted, so I guess that is why HL introduced LE in TLD.

As others indicated, HL will not introduce new firearms. In TLD, HL already removed ballistic curve feature for the bullet trajectory. Right now, in TLD, with the hit scan algorithm, guns in TLD are laser guns, drawing a straight line from the muzzle to the target. I can only guess why they did that, but my guess is to reduce resource consumption and calculation amount. As far as I know, they've been tried to resolve optimization/resource issue since 2016 but it is not 100% solved yet. Based on these factors, my bet is, they won't introduce any new rifles model within near future. 

Modding can be a way, but I couldn't find any 3D C9 rifle model in any 3D object market or free download webpages. Too bad. However, if you search for other classic/modern bolt-action rifle (of course it should be bolt-action for the reliability in extreme cold environment) in 3D model websites, you should be able to find a good 3D models for them, and some of them might be free. That should be a good starting point for "new rifle skin" mod or "new rifle" mod. Any further comments/discussions regarding unofficial mod may block us from this forum so I won't comment further from this point. But I suggest you to use PC environment if you want to enjoy "other possibilities". 

HL is working on official modding tool, but no one knows when that will be finished... Since the story mode is now officially delayed, I hope if HL can invest some time and manpower for survival mode projects like official modding tools and new survival mode maps... 

Edited by sonics01

On 8/19/2020 at 3:47 AM, Themadlad94 said:

Wouldn’t affect the stats of the weapon, just change the appearance.

If it wouldn't serve any purpose other than athletics... then I'd say it's not at all necessary for the game play or any real added value. 

:coffee::fire:

On 2/25/2020 at 3:39 AM, ManicManiac said:

With so much rework that would need to be done I just don't think "the juice would be worth the squeeze."

Well @ManicManiac the value added is subjective. I'm with you in that I couldn't care less if something has a different aesthetic. However, in games like Persona for example I'm fond of using different costumes on characters. Which adds some subjective value for me. So I can sympathize if someone here feels the same about firearms.

6 minutes ago, Patriot said:

the value added is subjective.

Very true.  The concept of value is itself subjective.
Persona (series) is often described as a Role-playing game... and in that kind of game I think character customization is a interesting and valuable aspect.

However, I'd posit that since this game is often described as a "Survival Experience," to me (that is to say just from my perspective) having a large amount of variant skins that don't serve any purpose but to look different would kind of be a waste of effort in a game that seems mostly focused on (and built around) it's survival mechanics.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I can agree that more variation might be a "nice to have"... I just don't think it's necessary.

Edited by ManicManiac

@Patriot

Yeah, as I mentioned, I think it would be in the "nice to have" category but not really necessary.  It took me a minute to find it, but I mention this in a discussion I had last year:

Ultimately, I think as long as we get the warmth/protection bonuses properly for worn gear... I argue it doesn't really mater if the character model's hands reflect unique skins for what you currently have equipped (outer jacket and gloves specifically).

:coffee::fire:

I agree that having it change IE it shows rabbit mittens, gauntlets, driving gloves, etc... would not be necessary, but no one is going around without gloves on therefor his hands ought not be bare. The only discrepancy would be if you didn't have gloves on for some reason, but you're not doing that for extended periods at least. Now ideally it would be "nice to have" if it would change cosmetically, but that's not my point.

• Upvote 2