What items do you _always_ carry with you to the end of the world?

Mistral

Besides clothing, this is what I always carry with me on Interloper, at least from day 30 or so onward. Some of them are emergency-only, but obviously most are meant to be used regularly which means quite a bit of replacing and keeping supply bases stocked

2 matchbooks  (or 1 matchbook and 1 healthy fire striker)

1 magnifying glass

1 lump of coal (emergency only, for overcoming ambient temperature in extreme freezing situation)

1 accelerant (emergency only)

at least 1 stick to get guaranteed fire started (obviously usually you have more stuff to burn but that's the minimum everywhere)

at least 2 torches with more than 10% condition (preferably 3-5)

2 emergency stims

1 rock (for throws at wolfs, also I've heard someone has even scared off moose with it)

1 flare

at least 1 prepared old mans beard (preferably 2)

at least 1 prepared birch bark or 1 ready birch bark tea

at least 1 rose hip tea ready (preferably also at least 1 prepared & 6 painkillers)

at least 1 reishi tea ready (preferably also at least 1 prepared & 6 biotics)

3 bandages

1 loaded distress pistol

2-3 extra distress pistol shells

at least 1 liter of water (preferably close to 2)

1 improvised hatchet

1 improvised knife

1 bow

5-10 arrows

1 normal bedroll

at least 2 cloth (preferably 5 for snow shelter)

2 sewing kits (at least one them healthy)

1 whetstone

2 recycled cans

I didn't include prybar as it's only really needed for some of the regions, and even for them only when looting for the first time.

Hacksaw, eventually also not needed to bring along everywhere.

Fishing tackle, same thing.

Lantern, again same thing.

I usually also have a small stash of emergency and/or travelling cat tails to most places I go (even when I know there's food to be had), but there are certain times when I do drop them off, so didn't include em here.

I probably forgot something but hey 😃

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 1

My list of EDC items is very similar to yours except a few things:

At least 4 coal - I do have a stable stockpile of coal in my bases so I don't hesitate to throw one into a fire when I need to quickly warm up and make a hot tea. I can take out a bunch of torches from the fire too so I hardly carry a torch around.

No accelerant - I just recently reached L5 firestarting so I'm deciding to ditch this.

At least 2 ready birch bark tea with plenty of prepared birch bark - since they respawn, this is my go-to tea if I need to warm up for a bit. The restore condition buff can be helpful too so I do make it a habit to pick up as many birch bark as I can find whenever I pass by one of those birch bark groves.

Hacksaw - can be quite useful if I need to harvest some meat quickly from frozen carcasses when I can't start a mag lens fire.

No sewing kit - I carry 2 fishing tackles instead for mending since they're incredibly light and pretty much renewable (scrap metal from beachcombing). Once they drop to about 10% condition, I leave them in my fishing hut for fishing instead.

1 cooking pot and 1 recycled can - The cooking pot can be useful if say I get stuck in a cave during a blizzard and I want to sleep 1-2 hours with a fire ongoing, I can boil some water during that time to not waste the fire. I know if I carry one cooking pot, I might as well carry two to double the efficency but I don't need that much water either. Also I tend to have alot of bases that I rotate in between, I just leave one cooking pot at each so I can always have 2 cooking pots whichever base I go to.

Lantern - I just hate navigating in the complete darkness so this is more of a personal preference for me.

Edited by gotmilkanot
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gotmilkanot said:

My list of EDC items is very similar to yours except a few things:

At least 4 coal - I do have a stable stockpile of coal in my bases so I don't hesitate to throw one into a fire when I need to quickly warm up and make a hot tea. I can take out a bunch of torches from the fire too so I hardly carry a torch around.

No accelerant - I just recently reached L5 firestarting so I'm deciding to ditch this.

At least 2 ready birch bark tea with plenty of prepared birch bark - since they respawn, this is my go-to tea if I need to warm up for a bit. The restore condition buff can be helpful too so I do make it a habit to pick up as many birch bark as I can find whenever I pass by one of those birch bark groves.

Hacksaw - can be quite useful if I need to harvest some meat quickly from frozen carcasses when I can't start a mag lens fire.

No sewing kit - I carry 2 fishing tackles instead for mending since they're incredibly light and pretty much renewable (scrap metal from beachcombing). Once they drop to about 10% condition, I leave them in my fishing hut for fishing instead.

1 cooking pot and 1 recycled can - The cooking pot can be useful if say I get stuck in a cave during a blizzard and I want to sleep 1-2 hours with a fire ongoing, I can boil some water during that time to not waste the fire. I know if I carry one cooking pot, I might as well carry two to double the efficency but I don't need that much water either. Also I tend to have alot of bases that I rotate in between, I just leave one cooking pot at each so I can always have 2 cooking pots whichever base I go to.

Lantern - I just hate navigating in the complete darkness so this is more of a personal preference for me.

Yeah there's usually no shortage of coal to be had once one gets set up. I prefer multiple torches because torch travelling is usually more economic than starting out new fires (also helps with not carrying lantern)

Regarding accelerant, it's true that is starts becoming less and less important as the fire starting skill improves, but I think even with L5 if you are stuck in a blizzard and every second counts when starting a fire, it gives a small head start.

The respawning ability of birch bark is indeed why I prefer using it for warming buffs rather than reishi and rose hips, but for that same reason I don't carry with me quite as much because you know you can get more, once you hit those birch tree zones.

Hacksaw, yes extremely useful. I'd say I bring it along 95% of the times, but it can be redundant with the improvised knife aroud.

That's a good strategy on fishing tackles, I should start using that more (later in the game). I rather use the kits first, you know to wear them out of the way, but for end game they will be more optimal way to go

Yeah I think the thing with cooking pots is just the point of preference, the only reason I leave em to my bases is because of the extra weight (and I usually try to avoid making water when sleeping on higher cooking level skills)

Hear you on the darkness thing...

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Mistral said:

The respawning ability of birch bark is indeed why I prefer using it for warming buffs rather than reishi and rose hips, but for that same reason I don't carry with me quite as much because you know you can get more, once you hit those birch tree zones.

That's a good strategy on fishing tackles, I should start using that more (later in the game). I rather use the kits first, you know to wear them out of the way, but for end game they will be more optimal way to go

I must admit I'm a birch bark tea addict myself so my high consumption of it makes me collect a bunch of birch bark while travelling :)

Honestly, there are plenty of sewing kits around even on Interloper so you don't really have to worry about them running out once you've crafted your animal clothing. I think there's sewing kit wear reduction from L4 mending onwards too, not sure if it applies to fishing tackles though.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, gotmilkanot said:

I must admit I'm a birch bark tea addict myself so my high consumption of it makes me collect a bunch of birch bark while travelling :)

Honestly, there are plenty of sewing kits around even on Interloper so you don't really have to worry about them running out once you've crafted your animal clothing. I think there's sewing kit wear reduction from L4 mending onwards too, not sure if it applies to fishing tackles though.

Oh, you can never ignore birch bark, it must be collected :D I always have huge stashes of birch bark laying around in my bases

I was talking more about extremely long term survival, there will (eventually) come a time when all the kits have worn out for non-animal clothing, bedroll and bandages. Well, sooner than all of the possible available cloth have been used anyway. Btw I once had a Stalker run where I actually had to use fishing tackles exclusively from the start for repairs as for some reason the sewing kits had disappeared from the world 😮

Edited by Mistral

It all depends on where I'm going or what I'm doing currently, if I go a short distance(eg from one place to another in the same region) then I travel very light just in case I get into a wolf struggle or I need to climb. .. But if I'm going on a long trek then I always prepare well in advance before I leave.

15 sticks and 5 cloth if I need to build a snow shelter and always carry a few extra sticks for fire building and maintaining purposes.

A couple pieces of cedar and fir firewood

A book(both skill books to read and the static books for fires)

2 Sewing kits

2 firearm cleaning kits

2 whetstones

2 flares

A hatchet

I rarely ever carry the hacksaw unless I need it to hack up metal to make scrap metal to make arrowheads or if I'm on Timberwolf Mountain. Same goes for the heavy hammer, it's way to heavy to be lugging around as it's only purpose is forge work and nothing else.

Prybar

--------------

I tend to carry a lot more than I should because of the cautious player in me but as far as my game play goes, I never get too encumbered because it's too painful to watch the character move so slowly lol :D

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2020 at 6:46 PM, Mistral said:

1 improvised hatchet

1 improvised knife

I'm curious why these and not the actual hatchet and hunting knife?    same wear yes, but harvest times are longer with improvised.  Do you sharpen them using your whetstone?  

4 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I'm curious why these and not the actual hatchet and hunting knife?    same wear yes, but harvest times are longer with improvised.  Do you sharpen them using your whetstone?  

OP mentioned he/she is playing on Interloper difficulty where the normal hatchet and knife don't spawn. The only tools that spawn in Interloper are prybar, hacksaw and hammer. So you've got to craft the improvised ones by yourself.

Improvised versions degrade faster than normal ones after use, also tend to break easier but can still be sharpened with whetstones.

Edited by gotmilkanot

9 hours ago, gotmilkanot said:

OP mentioned he/she is playing on Interloper difficulty where the normal hatchet and knife don't spawn. The only tools that spawn in Interloper are prybar, hacksaw and hammer. So you've got to craft the improvised ones by yourself.

Improvised versions degrade faster than normal ones after use, also tend to break easier but can still be sharpened with whetstones.

thanks for the clarification, missed the interloper part...

I usually carry;

-The clothing on me.

-Matches and/or a fire striker.

-Medicial supplies like antibiotics, antiseptic, bandages, a emergency stim if I have one, energy drink if I have one and painkillers.

-A bit of food and drink.

-A hatchet, hunting knife, lantern and fuel. Sometimes a revolver or rifle.

My inventory differs and depends on what I'm doing. If I'm aiming to go exploring, I'll bring more food and water and a pry bar and charcoal to map out what new places I discover. I usually take the revolver as a defense. If I'm intending to hunt, of course I'll take the rifle. Unless I feel in the mood for rabbit, then I carry some stones. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

clothes / imp hatchet / imp knife / 1box wood matches / 1firestriker / mag lens / 1accelerant / 4clloth / 2cured leather / revolver (stalker) / bow / 3-10 arrows / 2L water / 20cattail stalks / 2old mans beard / 2stim / 6painkillers / 4antibiotic / 3bandages / 1energy drink / 2prep birch bark / 1fishing tackle / 1torch

Edited by haft2doit