Cairn suggestion

stratvox

Hi! This is mostly aimed at @Raphael van Lierop and has to do with the huge number of unwritten cairns in the game. I was reminded when I saw that @piddy3825 was looking to create a collection of screenies of them. 

It has been quite a few years now since the kickstarter where people could buy a cairn to help fund the game. I'm not sure of the exact number, but I think it's been about seven years or thereabouts. I think we can reasonably say that those are orphan cairns, and I'd like to suggest a way that they can get populated with pithy sayings and the like.

I'd like to request that Hinterland hold an auction to benefit a charity like Trees, or Medecins sans Frontieres, or some other cause, to allow people to buy a cairn to immortalise in the game. I think that it would be a great way to have more cairns in the game as well as to benefit a good cause and to bring attention to the game and the great userbase and community that this game has.

That's it, that's the joke.

Cheers!

• Upvote 3

Outstanding idea!

I'd like to see those unwritten stories get written.  Those initial backers who never turned in their stories probably wouldn't mind considering that they had ample opportunity to do so had they wished to in the first place.  108 unwritten stories remain... 

14 hours ago, stratvox said:

It has been quite a few years now since the kickstarter where people could buy a cairn to help fund the game. I'm not sure of the exact number, but I think it's been about seven years or thereabouts. I think we can reasonably say that those are orphan cairns, and I'd like to suggest a way that they can get populated

Well... except for the fact that those initial backers did  financially contribute to development of the game on a level where having a cairn dedicated to them was an incentive.  They effectively bought the privilege of having a cairn regardless of whether or not they took the time to write a message and send it in.  I think it's good that Hinterland honors them regardless. 

:coffee::fire:
I don't think that giving away or "re-selling" those backer's cairns would be the right thing to do...
After all... those initial backers helped Hinterland bring this wonderful game to us in the first place, even arguably more so than those of us who supported it later.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I understand that those folks helped the game become what it is, and I think that any changes to the game should include the "backer XXXX" note that're already tagged to the cairns, but at the same time it could add a lot of atmosphere and do some good in the world to auction the unwritten cairns for charity.

It's worth considering, at any rate. Needless to say, this will end up coming down to one person's decision; I'm just putting a bug in his ear.

1 hour ago, stratvox said:

I understand that those folks helped the game become what it is, and I think that any changes to the game should include the "backer XXXX" note that're already tagged to the cairns, but at the same time it could add a lot of atmosphere and do some good in the world to auction the unwritten cairns for charity.

It's worth considering, at any rate. Needless to say, this will end up coming down to one person's decision; I'm just putting a bug in his ear.

I've been suggesting something like this in many prior posts over the years, so thank you for elevating the idea at least to a topic of conversation.  It remains an uncompleted project unfortunately and probably will remain so for a quite a while honestly.  Fortunately there are a lot of new players to the game and the forums, so hopefully we may yet see some action on this subject.  I know there are still a few active backers gracing these forums, I'd be interested in their opinions as well.  

Guest jeffpeng

I'm a bit torn on this, and I can absolutely see @ManicManiac's point here. However, maybe something to still keep those "original" cairns special: give them like a golden band instead of the red one, so they still stand out. Because .... yeah I can see how many of those cairns never actually being put to any use is a bit sad. Auctioning them for whatever cause (or, how, even just to fund TLD2 or some bigger update/extension) seems reasonable.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be all for new cairns being added (for folks who wanted to contribute to Hinterland even more than they already have).  I think new cairns for regions that don't have any or perhaps very few could be great (a chance for more folks in the community to contribute to the game world)...

I just think the original backer cairns ought to be left alone.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 1