Disappearing Arrows

dahemac

By and large the game handles recovering arrows well enough. However I am frequently losing arrows under the map when a downed animal falls on the arrow. I want to check that this is a “feature” rather than a bug. Does this happen to you?

It usually takes 2–3 arrows to take a bear down. But if one of those arrows is in the side of the head that falls onto the snow, then it cannot be recovered. It is under the map. I put a deer down yesterday with one shot to the head and watched the arrow disappear out of the map as it fell. This cannot be right. Even if falling on the arrow has a high chance of breaking the arrow, it should be possible to recover the broken arrow.

Technically I suppose this puts a limit on the number of kills you can get with a bow. If each hunt pushes one arrow outside the map, then the maximum number of arrow kills you can possibly get is 3x the number of birch saplings, which are sparse.

Lemme know what you think.

At least sometimes the game silently recovers those arrows for you when you harvest a carcass. I've verified this by checking the number of arrows I have in my inventory before and after I harvest. It seems like a strange feature to me (there should be some notice that you've recovered the arrow).

I would guess that when it doesn't happen it's a bug. I haven't tracked it carefully enough to quantify the percentage of time the arrow gets recovered without any message.

• Upvote 1

Question: do items disappear outside if left for too long before recovering?.. in this case I shot an arrow at a wolf downing some deer meat but I missed because I suck with the bow... but I forgot to recover the arrow. After maybe 5 days or so I had time to kill so I went to recover the arrow but could not find it. Drives me nuts because I didn't want to lose the arrowhead.

13 hours ago, dustinmico said:

Question: do items disappear outside if left for too long before recovering?.. in this case I shot an arrow at a wolf downing some deer meat but I missed because I suck with the bow... but I forgot to recover the arrow. After maybe 5 days or so I had time to kill so I went to recover the arrow but could not find it. Drives me nuts because I didn't want to lose the arrowhead.

No, at least they're not supposed to. I've found old arrows lying around many days after I shot them.

It's probably there somewhere; tracking down misses can be pretty difficult sometimes. Did you know that arrows can roll downhill, for example? But it's probably stuck in the ground or a tree somewhere ...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr. S. said:

…it's probably stuck in the ground or a tree somewhere ...

True. You can walk by an arrow ten times before you notice. If it is broken on wood or rock it breaks your search image. When we look for arrows we tend to look for a straight line on a snow white background, not a ‘V’ shape lodged in a huge stack of trees.