Co-Op!

JackTrysGames

This could be limited to Survival, or maybe extended to challenges or maybe even Wintermute.

One person would play the main character (Will, Astrid, etc.)

The other  players would either play the alternative (e.g. whatever the first person didn't pick) or a side character (Jebediah, Father Thomas, Molly, Methuselah).

Gear and food would have to be split between both people, but they'd both have their own inventories and gear slots!

Who knows, maybe a secondary player might even be able to heal wounds you normally wouldn't survive, or shoot a Timberwolf mauling you?

I also like the idea of co-op MP, but the most serious problem would be time acceleration using past-time card game or sleep or reading or something. 

If one choose to sleep or past time or read, then what other player should do? 

If player A choose to read a book, 3 hr contents, within 30 seconds, then what player B should do if he was in the middle of fight with a pack of wolves? 

I think time acceleration would be the biggest huddle for Co-op MP. But don't get me wrong. I like that idea, and wish to see that. 

I'm just pointing out that it is not easy to implement in here. 

We need more better and detailed idea. 

I just started playing a few days ago. I'm loving the game. Would love it much more if there was co-op! My boyfriend and I play a lot of games together but can't on this one. As for issues with passing the time/sleep, an agreement to the activity would be ideal

Player 1 opts to rest, player 2 agrees.

Player 2 wants to pass time while cooking, player 1 agrees.

Or disagrees obviously if they are in the middle of something. 

1 hour ago, aGirlGotU said:

I just started playing a few days ago. I'm loving the game. Would love it much more if there was co-op! My boyfriend and I play a lot of games together but can't on this one. As for issues with passing the time/sleep, an agreement to the activity would be ideal

Player 1 opts to rest, player 2 agrees.

Player 2 wants to pass time while cooking, player 1 agrees.

Or disagrees obviously if they are in the middle of something. 

Welcome to the forums!

It would indeed be great if there was a co-op, but it's something that has been raised in the community many times over a number of years- my impression from their responses is that it would just be too difficult for Hinterland to add in as the game was only ever planned as a single player, so I think it's sadly highly unlikely.  There has been talk of further games in the TLD universe eventually though, so maybe these would be planned with some sort of multiplayer element from the start.  There's also recently been mention of a spin off /DLC type game set around the Franklin expedition, it's a bit of a leap of faith but as this expedition involved a group (and later several smaller groups) of survivors, maybe this could be used as some sort of test run for TLD 2, including a multiplayer mechanic?  we can hope.

FWIW for co-op to truly work for me, you'd need some self discipline in terms of not speaking IRL when the characters are apart- so you'd end up running towards distant gunshots when your friend had only gone out to chop wood, or desperately searching through the aftermath of a blizzard, medikit and emergency rations at hand,  until you see a flare or campfire on a distant ledge.

In the meantime, if you haven't already then you and your boyfriend may want to take a look at The Forest.  Like you, I'd love to play TLD or a similar type of survival game with my other half- The Forest is the nearest I've found so far.  It's by no means identical, and has a lot of flaws (and is much more action/ combat based), but you do get to work together to build bases and explore which can be a lot of fun.  It also has a cool walkie talkie feature to communicate (unless you keep knocking it accidentally and giving your partner jumpscares, not so cool then). 

I've also had a look at Raft recently, which seems fairly simplistic but enjoyable.  Finally, Rising World has some exploration/ base building elements in multiplayer, it's basically a big Minecraft/Terreria type thing.  Would you recommend any other good co-op games you've found?

I've used the idea of a Blind Relay Survival Run.

Start a run and play a session.

• The next player takes over from where the previous player leaves off.
  • Each player then always has unexpected starting conditions every session they play.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
It's surprisingly fun.

[Addendum]
Credit where it's due: @ThePancakeLady was the person who first described this idea to me.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SirSharper said:

soooooo, right in front of a moose it is.

:D  Yes, there's plenty of opportunity to mess with the other player(s) if one wanted to...  I know it created a lot of interesting situations when I tried a Blind Relay Survival Run.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac