Navigation system is incomplete

oplli

It would be nice if we could find maps pieces in corpses while we are exploring. I feel that for now the navigation system is a little useless and incomplete. I like the spray cans update but i feel that there is still sonething missing... maybe the devs could add compasses into the game wich could be an extremely rare item that dosent spawn in interlopper etc etc. What do you think?

43 minutes ago, oplli said:

It would be nice if we could find maps pieces in corpses while we are exploring. I feel that for now the navigation system is a little useless and incomplete. I like the spray cans update but i feel that there is still sonething missing... maybe the devs could add compasses into the game wich could be an extremely rare item that dosent spawn in interlopper etc etc. What do you think?

I just saw someone who posted an idea and i think that it can really help the current navigation system

He wants to add a pen / pencil to the game. It is a really simple item that is not heavy and that could have some duration. It is better than the coal that nobody wants to keep on em beacause of the weight. It whould also be nice if it could draw a much larger zone on the map beacause rightnow the navigation is not that necessairy and drawing a map is painful to achieve

Mapping a region used to be way more painful before Fearless Navigator update.

I'm not sure if you've found any polaroids yet but a single charcoal mapping action at the vista from a polaroid reveals a large portion of the map (close to half of the region) so it's always worth it to look for them, usually in corpses and backpacks.

Height of the spot that you're mapping on also accounts for how much area that is going to be revealed on the map so it's a good idea that you find a high spot before doing the mapping action.

Edited by gotmilkanot

Notwithstanding the justification given for no compasses, a practical consideration would be that a compass would force the devs to go over how and where sunrise and sunset occurs visually else have that conflict with what the compass is saying.  It would also have had to be consistently accurate.  So implementation would be a required effort that they would have inflicted on themselves for an item that, so far, would not apparently contribute to the game-play in Story mode. 

I figure that the spray cans use in making marks that get reflected on the regional map, and perhaps the rock cache as well, will play a role in episode 4 much like the revolver played a role in episode 3.  If it ever became important to a quest in story mode to be able to follow a specific direction across a trackless region, like sailing across some open seas to another island, then we'd probably end up with a compass.  After story mode concludes, then anything can happen.

59 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

Notwithstanding the justification given for no compasses, a practical consideration would be that a compass would force the devs to go over how and where sunrise and sunset occurs visually else have that conflict with what the compass is saying.  It would also have had to be consistently accurate.  So implementation would be a required effort that they would have inflicted on themselves for an item that, so far, would not apparently contribute to the game-play in Story mode. 

I figure that the spray cans use in making marks that get reflected on the regional map, and perhaps the rock cache as well, will play a role in episode 4 much like the revolver played a role in episode 3.  If it ever became important to a quest in story mode to be able to follow a specific direction across a trackless region, like sailing across some open seas to another island, then we'd probably end up with a compass.  After story mode concludes, then anything can happen.

3 days ago i restarted paying the long dark i was on a 120 days run now im at 150 days. I did not played since the revolver update, i discovered that theres a new map, new mechabics etc the polaroids did not exists while i were playing in the past. Once i restarted i had the opportunitty to find a polaroid and map the environment i was really impressed by the area but i was still thinking that this was too much work to map an entire map then i went on moose hunting at marsh ridge in FM and while i was wainting for the big game is tried to map the place and surorisingly it was fun. You just have to think about it. Besides that you just reminded  me that that the sun showed us east and west i never thaught about that. In the past i were always using the maps on internet to help me navigate it saved my life a lot of times but it think im still in this minding of always needing to know where i am etc  

Learning to navigate by landmarks and learning our surroundings, I think is kind of the whole point.

16 hours ago, oplli said:

maybe the devs could add compasses into the game

^ No thank you.
Given the lore, compasses would likely be non-functional anyway.  Plus, I would say they just not at all needed.  There are plenty of ways to orient our survivor on Great Bear, it just takes a little bit of situational awareness on the part of the player.

We can already use peaks, the "day arc" (though this is only locally significant because not all of the regions are oriented consistently with the "wold map"), landmarks, learning trails and pathways, and many other rather simple ways to learn how to get around and "recognize" where we are.

Simply put, I just don't think navigation is all that hard to begin with... so I don't see a need to water it down.

:coffee::fire:
The short version:  I think that the Navigation system is fine the way it is.  I don't see a need to change it beyond what Hinterland already decided on with this last update (Fearless Navigator).  Hinterland has already added several features that makes navigating even easier that it was before (and I thought it was fine before too)... so after that substantial update I think it's odd to already see posts like this.

[Addendum]
On another note.  I think those time when we get lost are some of the best moments of the game... if we had a bunch of "hand holdy" type mechanics that ensured a player could never get lost... I think it would take away a significant part of the game that has kept me playing it for the last 6 years. 

Plus, generally I'm against anything that I think makes life easier for the player. :D

Edited by ManicManiac