What is the minimal condition a hacksaw should have when opening cargo containers in TM?

EfoDom

I'm going to the summit of Timberwolf Mountain Tomorrow and my hacksaw is 90%. I was wondering up till what percentage is the hacksaw safe to use. From what I've read it can jam a container if the condition is too low.

25%, as it will be an even 20% after its next use. Any time its condition drops below 20%, it has a chance of breaking on the next use, and yes this can result in a ruined container that can never be opened.  Because that's exactly how saws work.  Broken hacksaws are more effective at preventing entry than any deadbolt.  That's just science.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

25%, as it will be an even 20% after its next use. Any time its condition drops below 20%, it has a chance of breaking on the next use, and yes this can result in a ruined container that can never be opened.  Because that's exactly how saws work.  Broken hacksaws are more effective at preventing entry than any deadbolt.  That's just science.

Thanks, I was worried the breaking condition was higher. According to the wiki there are 14 containers on the summit. That would degrade my hacksaw to 20% so I should be fine.

24 minutes ago, EfoDom said:

I'm going to the summit of Timberwolf Mountain Tomorrow and my hacksaw is 90%. I was wondering up till what percentage is the hacksaw safe to use. From what I've read it can jam a container if the condition is too low.

that's actually plenty to start with... spoiler alert if you've never been up there... you'll end up popping one of the containers and you'll get some more hacksaws... plus you might find one or two on the way up there as well

• Upvote 3

I would have suggested 30% as a minimum since that hacksaw is getting into ruined territory and the loss of that cargo container's access along with it.  I vaguely recall having a 30% bow break on use - it shot the arrow and was ruined.  I don't think at 30% I would be too worried about break on use but that is a risk. 

2 hours ago, odium said:

i keep my hacksaw 75-80%+ at all times and carry 1 metal at all times.  just in case!

don't you need tools to repair the hacksaw?  if i recall, 1 metal weighs .10 kilos and the blue tool box weighs a 1 kilo.  the red, .75kilos.  1 metal repairs the hacksaw 25%.  why not repair to 100% and then only worry about it when it gets down to 40%.   beats carrying an extra .85 to  1.10 kilos of dead weight? 

15 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

don't you need tools to repair the hacksaw?  if i recall, 1 metal weighs .10 kilos and the blue tool box weighs a 1 kilo.  the red, .75kilos.  1 metal repairs the hacksaw 25%.  why not repair to 100% and then only worry about it when it gets down to 40%.   beats carrying an extra .85 to  1.10 kilos of dead weight? 

yes you do need tools as well.  i carry my red tool box all the time as well.  i know its excessive, but i still do it.  i like to be prepared for anything, including a drop of the hat move to a new region