Co-op Survival

wombler

I believe that the long dark would be a great game to have multiplayer. Problems that come with multiplayer are how would waiting work or entering buildings or Researching.

My ideas for solutions is make like if someone wants to wait for something the other player can accept to wait with them or also do something that passes time. Also when you are breaking down something or harvesting a carcass the other player can chose to come and help to speed up the process. Or if they chose to not Help out time passes as normal and to speed up the time the other player must do something else to pass time. 

Also for entering buildings Either make it force every one in that building or have people entering places be separate. Being separate as in people can leave as they please is the better option and the nicer option but maybe because of how the long dark loads into every building the everyone being forced into the same area.

If multiplayer gets added something that I think would be cool is a form of communication like radio or how we saw in chapter three via land line 

Please comment any more ideas and your thoughts 

• Like 1

you are right, maybe starting from an "only steam" for a 2 friends co-op version when is really easy to set up because you literally just press "invite to game" to a friend and that's it, you are the host so you choose the spawn area and difficulty and pam, done it

maybe adding more loot on the map so 2 people can devide it 

maybe adding some interactions, like if one is reading 4 hours of a book that tells about survival then it can "comunicate" to the other player what he learned in 2 hours

meybe adding the opportunity to help healing another player so he can recover faster (because is harder to treat yourself when you are allready screaming from pain)

What happens if the other player is halfway across Great Bear wandering around through a blizzard and the other player desperately needs to sleep or they'll die?

Does Player A choose to let Player B sleep to recover condition, forcing Player A to pass time in the blizzard and freeze? Or does Player B let Player A wander through the blizzard, getting lost only to find shelter hours later, by then Player B didn't sleep and has died. 

This just wouldn't work.

Co-op will never be in this game, it's too far removed from what this game is all about, not to mention the technical challenges of rationalizing time-accelerated activities like carcass harvesting or sleep with the time of everyone else playing this hypothetical co-op game.  I agree that it would be fun, but it's not in the cards for The Long Dark.  Maybe in Hinterland's next project.

11 hours ago, Fuarian said:

What happens if the other player is halfway across Great Bear wandering around through a blizzard and the other player desperately needs to sleep or they'll die?

Does Player A choose to let Player B sleep to recover condition, forcing Player A to pass time in the blizzard and freeze? Or does Player B let Player A wander through the blizzard, getting lost only to find shelter hours later, by then Player B didn't sleep and has died. 

This just wouldn't work.

I think the way to deal with this would be that the other player can sleep, but time won't accelerate for them until it does for the other player (i.e. they go to sleep, start reading, cook, etc).

That said, time compression is a major feature of the game (imagine if you have to wait for 48 minutes while your character sleeps for eight hours before you can play again) and that makes dealing with multiplayer extremely difficult. It's the same problem that KSP has for MP; you can't time compress your trip to Jool in a multiplayer game so you're going to have to wait for what would be literally a LOT of days real time.

That said, I too would love to have a multiplayer mode in this game, but at least some of the game mechanics would need to be reworked very heavily and I think it's reasonable to say that it will never happen with this generation of the game.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng

I used to work on a modpack for Minecraft that also had a time compression feature. It made a lot of sense in this pack since it featured a lot of automated tasks, and so sleeping/waiting would speed up time for you. It actually worked very well in multiplayer - except for the fact that you had to coordinate sleeping/waiting with the other player. Which - well - was possible, but tiresome. With 3 it got really annoying, and with 4 it was downright impossible. So, yeah, in a 2-man co-op scenario I can see that working, but not satisfactory. Everything beyond that is just not fun. It's not so much a question of making it possible from a develepmont perspective, but it defies logic to make this work from a gameplay perspective.