Moving containers

akodo1

I remember the days when that 3 kg rabbit carcass was too heavy to move so you had to stand in a blizzard to butcher it.

Now we can scoop up the rabbit.

I WISH we would get similar changes to the metal boxes and plastic boxes found around the game. They would make organizing my meat piles so much easier.  Specifically I'd have it so you only get the prompt to pick it up if it has been both searched AND made empty.  However, I think any method of allowing it to be moved would be great.

IIRC people have done in game tests on meat decay rates outside on the ground vs outside in a container....and it stays longer inside a container.  If that is the case, then how about allowing us to move ONE KIND of container but having it not keep meat fresher.  

I know this isn't the first time this request has been made. I'd really be intersted in hearing what kind of game balance is risked if it were to be implemented.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Dum_Gen said:

AFAI remember, they said it about taking off your own backpack with items inside e.g. if you quickly want to drop weight at base. Is it so or I am wrong?

What do you think about creating container-like Wood Stashes? - I mean from the programming perspective.

I think that was the case, so long ago I don't recall exactly. I'm not a programmer so I can't speak to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree moving or making containers would add a great deal to the game in both realism and enjoyment. Being able to stack items on top of each other (as I have seen in a now defunct mod) would also be advantageous for campcraft organization. As Willy Pete describes, challenge would be in moving containers that contain items (I imagine this would require a code or entry that accounts for each item and its condition). I wonder if empty containers themselves would require the same depth of code.

Obviously we'd all love to drop our pack to run from the mighty moose and then come get it later, but even just moving empty containers for organization elsewhere would be an enormous quality of live improvement. I'm not going to lie, I feel wrong every time I leave meat outside in the open. Maybe that should be added to the disclaimer regarding Wolf behaviour. "Please don't leave food outside and in the open, in bear country." haha

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

On a previous topic that eventually included being able to move containers:

On 10/20/2019 at 2:37 AM, ManicManiac said:

There have been several discussions among the wish lists of the desire to be able to do more to customize our living space.  I'd very much support that idea.  I think it would be a really nice touch to be able to do some of those things you've suggested. [this included moving furniture, rotating/stacking items, moving containers...and so on]

Whether that happens or not, I'm indifferent...  I love the game for what it is, but I would also support the idea of being able to better customize our living space.

[text was updated for relevant context]

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I also think the Rock Caches are great, not just for stashing stuff outside... but I think they also make cave living really nice. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 4:56 PM, ManicManiac said:

On a previous topic that eventually included being able to move containers:

[text was updated for relevant context]

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I also think the Rock Caches are great, not just for stashing stuff outside... but I think they also make cave living really nice. :)

Rock caches on Hushed River helped TONS. Now i get quick inventory management in a cave (and I can remove it and rebuild when i move around)  

• Upvote 1

I use the caches primarily for ... storing things.  I have one by the tracks near the Camp Office to hold the gunpowder components I was going to take to Bleak Inlet.  I put a cache near the transition cave entrance in Bleak Inlet so it is easier to sort through stuff (I still leave other things on the snow because even 30 kg in a cache is not enough).  I even put a cache near the Old Spence Forge and Poacher's Camp to get more storage space.

The need to accumulate 50 stones takes time and effort so one balances the value of placing a cache with the cost to get the stones.  But the additional storage afforded is quite useful. 

I suppose it would have been nice, though probably problematic to  implement so unlikely, if meat and fish (stipulated as cooked) placed in a cache would then decay as per most modern foods in the game (i.e. along the 1,000 day line) rather than 1% or more per day.  It would largely negate a need for food preservation for the longer term and if food that went to ruined in a cache then disappeared as it would in any container, I think I would be able to come to terms with that.  It would give me a reason to make a tour of my food caches and move food  outside or get fresher stuff to replace it.