Challenges

Catlover

Here are some that I wanted to share. They are what I made up, though probably already exist through different wording

The Sun To Snow Challenge-Basically, it is set on either Stalker or Voyager, depending on your expertise of the game, with the weather things cranked all of the way up in custom mode. 

You can stay only a day and night in a house, before you have to brave the weather. It doesn’t matter if you had nearly finished looting. Once the night ends, you must leave and either enter a new house, or move on altogether. The goal is to survive outdoors, so to get the best out of it, I found it more fun, and deadly, on HRV and places with basically no shelters.

Others to be added later.

If you all have any challenges that I could try, please tell me them. I’m searching for a good one to do once I die on my STS challenge.

I would recommend my "I've Got This" challenge (see topic).  I finally finished it myself and discovered that what was typically taking me about 90 days or more can be done in 25 days or less.  It makes for a more intense game as every minute counts.  There is also the lure, maybe I could have done it just a bit sooner, maybe I should try again. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@Vince 49

I have seen it, and it seems quite fun. I’m still in the kind of noobish phase, but I’ll give yours a go once I improve a little. 

Of course, if I do write down my adventures here, I’ll give you credit for creating it. 

Looking forward to giving it a go, once I feel like I can do it without being paranoid the entire playthrough, haha,

• 3 weeks later...

I remember an old challenge (I forget who posted it... Stormwolf, or something? Good dude, in any case) where the idea was that you would get to the Hydro Carter Dam and drop anything you didn’t start the game with outside of it. Then, it was just a matter of how long can you survive inside the dam using only what you find in there. Very accessible to both experienced and inexperienced players, even in the current version of the game.

I’ve seen challenges ranging from “catch the biggest fish” to “the vegan” challenge (in which you couldn’t eat any fish, meat, dog food, pork and beans, condensed milk, or other animal product, and also couldn’t use leather products), both of which are pretty accessible to a broad range of players.

I just posted the “No Looking Back” challenge, which would be accessible to newer players, and would likely help you get better at some mechanics in game. For the more experienced, there’s the hard mode, which also doesn’t allow the use of anything with doors.

I know there’s a whole bunch of suggestions for other challenges out there, but I can never seem to find them when I’m looking for them.

• Like 1

Here’s a random fluff one I came up with reading through suggestions on the wish list. Let’s call it the “Green Thumb” challenge. The idea is to grow a potted plant on a windowsill in every interior location with a window. Since that’s not a mechanic in the game, we’ll have to make do with a few in-game items. For supply reasons, this should probably only be done in Pilgrim or Voyageur (or a custom setting with high loot). In every interior location with at least one window, place an empty tin can on the sill (this is your pot). Next, water your plant, by placing a water bottle next to it on the sill. Lastly, “grow” your plant by depositing a cattail head in the can (or next to it on the sill, if it can’t be put in the can). Once every valid location has a plant growing, your job is done, and you can enjoy your little potted plant as you continue to survive. There’s not much meat to the challenge, but maybe it can be a fun use for the items everyone has too much of.

Edited by WanderingPalm
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/15/2020 at 7:05 AM, WanderingPalm said:

Here’s a random fluff one I came up with reading through suggestions on the wish list. Let’s call it the “Green Thumb” challenge. The idea is to grow a potted plant on a windowsill in every interior location with a window. Since that’s not a mechanic in the game, we’ll have to make do with a few in-game items. For supply reasons, this should probably only be done in Pilgrim or Voyageur (or a custom setting with high loot). In every interior location with at least one window, place an empty tin can on the sill (this is your pot). Next, water your plant, by placing a water bottle next to it on the sill. Lastly, “grow” your plant by depositing a cattail head in the can (or next to it on the sill, if it can’t be put in the can). Once every valid location has a plant growing, your job is done, and you can enjoy your little potted plant as you continue to survive. There’s not much meat to the challenge, but maybe it can be a fun use for the items everyone has too much of.

Haha, that seems like a pretty fun thing to do if I get slightly bored during a rather easy run. Everywhere must have a cattail plant growing!

I haven’t fleshed out all the details, but have been thinking about a Coastal challenge.  I’d say set up whatever Custom Settings you prefer then:

-Start in Desolation Point (story could be you were dropped off in a boat and are there looking for supplies for your small settlement back wherever you came from.)

The only other maps you can use are: Old Island Connector, Coastal Highway, Ravine & Bleak Inlet.  The mines in DP are open, but the mine from CH to PV is collapsed at the CH entrance. In the Ravine the way to ML is blocked by mountain collapse.  In Bleak Inlet, the cave to FM is blocked. 

The challenge could be to leave as much stuff as you can at certain places to be picked up by your boat pilot.  Loot placed in containers nearest the water in DP or BI will eventually decay and be gone (picked up).  Or you could choose some other way to determine that it’s “gone” so you’re not tempted to go back for it to aid your own survival.

4 minutes ago, Screenshot Pilgrim said:

I haven’t fleshed out all the details, but have been thinking about a Coastal challenge.  I’d say set up whatever Custom Settings you prefer then:

-Start in Desolation Point (story could be you were dropped off in a boat and are there looking for supplies for your small settlement back wherever you came from.)

The only other maps you can use are: Old Island Connector, Coastal Highway, Ravine & Bleak Inlet.  The mines in DP are open, but the mine from CH to PV is collapsed at the CH entrance. In the Ravine the way to ML is blocked by mountain collapse.  In Bleak Inlet, the cave to FM is blocked. 

The challenge could be to leave as much stuff as you can at certain places to be picked up by your boat pilot.  Loot placed in containers nearest the water in DP or BI will eventually decay and be gone (picked up).  Or you could choose some other way to determine that it’s “gone” so you’re not tempted to go back for it to aid your own survival.

That seems quite interesting! Once my current challenge is over, I'll give that a go, as well as maybe squeezing in that Green Thumb challenge. What base difficulty do you think would be best? I'd then probably modify it from there

I’d use Custom Settings to fit how difficult you’d like it to be.  Bad weather to be sure with lots of blizzards.  I guess Medium on the overall resources, so you can feel like you’ve helped your people and not gone on a hopeless expedition. 😄  Or go with Low resources and send em lots of fish and rabbit mittens.

@Screenshot PilgrimHaha, that should like how I typically play, aside from medium blizzards. This will be fun, though I wouldn't say that I look forward to dying on my current challenge 😂

If you want, I could let you know when I'm starting your challenge, as I tend to document my challenges in the forum. 

Edited by Catlover

If you want, I could let you know when I'm starting your challenge, as I tend to document my challenges in the forum. 

You could start up a “Coastal Challenge Expedition “ thread.  Folks could give a brief explanation of their settings (the five maps would be the main constant for everyone), then journal entries or whatever.  Might be fun for those who like to post screenshots of their massive loot hauls.

Just now, Screenshot Pilgrim said:

You could start up a “Coastal Challenge Expedition “ thread. 

I quite like that idea. I will most likely set that up tomorrow, though I don't know when I'll be able to do the challenge. I doubt that it would be popular, but who knows.

Actually, just remembered something. I do have TLD on Xbox as well, so I could still play the challenges, though it would mean no screenshots. I'm not sure whether to wait until my eventual demise, or just make do with no screenshots and a lower quality on a different platform. What would you go for? 

@Catlover  and anyone else who's interested...

I've been doing a kind of test run on Voyager for the Coastal Challenge Expedition.  I'm about 60 days in.  I started in Desolation Point and have moved on to Coastal Highway.   There's some decent loot, but not an over abundance in these regions.  Some of the supply drops will have to consist of meat and pelts or crafted items.  I haven't visited Bleak Inlet yet, but I'm pretty well established in CH, so could set out any time.  I've just taken out at least four wolves in about two days, so have been busy with that, and will probably go looking for a fifth wolf I struggled with.  Then I'll likely enjoy a few wolf free days redistributing some extra supplies and fishing. 

I'm thinking of having the supply drops at:
--Desolation Point (the double lockers + metal container under the stairs at Hibernia and/or inside the Riken),
--Bleak Inlet (the outermost fishing hut and/or the collapsed Lighthouse)
++The boat pilot will try to return every 30-60 days, so part of the challenge will be to always leave stuff periodically (if you miss too many drops, the pilot will assume you're dead and stop coming)

I've decided it will be good to exclude Coastal Highway as a drop off/pick up zone for supplies.  This will increase the challenge a bit and can be explained away easily enough (the boat pilot says, "No way" after seeing all the wolves and weak ice).

I haven't been keeping journal entries on this test run yet but will do so on the next one, which will be a Custom Settings adventure.  The weather on Voyager is too mild, so I'm going to bring in more cold and blizzards.