is there a problem with crafting I didnt know about?

piddy3825

Haven't crafted anything but arrows lately so didn't notice if something was out of whack or not, but when I went to craft a new pair of deerskin pants the timer indicated 12.5 hours using a sewing kit and when I clicked on it, I just started crafting non-stop until it got too dark to see, crafted straight for 9 hours???   I wasn't given any time setting, looked like just all or nothing.  

What's up with that?  Is there no longer a time selection?  Is this a glitch?  I am playing an old save game that was started well before this last round of updates so not sure if this is happening with newly launched games or not?  Am I missing some step in my old age or is this the "new and improved" method?  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

Last time I crafted something, I had the "select duration" option.  Have you tried new game to see if the same thing happens?

no haven't tried launching a new game yet.  I didn't want to spend the time and effort to try to acquire, skin and cure a bunch of hides just to find out.  I figured I'd ask and good people like you could give me the low down.  the game your in, was that a post update launch?   if so, that's probably the case.  at any rate, I can work around the issue just by starting my crafting late in evening and it auto stops when it gets too dark.  otherwise it's straight up crafting marathon leading to complete exhaustion and dehydration like some amp up tweaker on a 5 day binge...

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Haven't crafted anything but arrows lately so didn't notice if something was out of whack or not, but when I went to craft a new pair of deerskin pants the timer indicated 12.5 hours using a sewing kit and when I clicked on it, I just started crafting non-stop until it got too dark to see, crafted straight for 9 hours???   I wasn't given any time setting, looked like just all or nothing.  

What's up with that?  Is there no longer a time selection?  Is this a glitch?  I am playing an old save game that was started well before this last round of updates so not sure if this is happening with newly launched games or not?  Am I missing some step in my old age or is this the "new and improved" method?  

I assume it's a bug.  I see it off and on, through many new games.  I encounter it when crafting a variety of items.  Sometimes the time selection appears, sometimes not.  When it does not appear, I just watch the sun icon or my food/hydration levels and guess at the time spent.  Press the escape key (on PC, I don't know the console equivalent) to stop the crafting at any point.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Upvote 3

@MrWolf,  thanks for the heads up!  I figured it probably was just a bug related to this old game save...  My work around is just to eat and drink until fully charged and then start crafting later in the evening so when it becomes too dark to see the crafting cycle ends.  

On 4/16/2020 at 3:46 PM, piddy3825 said:

but when I went to craft a new pair of deerskin pants the timer indicated 12.5 hours using a sewing kit and when I clicked on it, I just started crafting non-stop until it got too dark to see, crafted straight for 9 hours???   I wasn't given any time setting, looked like just all or nothing.  

I have the same problem.  

1 hour ago, Jolan said:

I have the same problem.  

I figured it probably was just a bug related to this old game save...  My work around is just to eat and drink until fully charged and then start crafting later in the evening so when it becomes too dark to see the crafting cycle ends.  But that can backfire too, like if your working that outside bench at the fishing village and it's a full moon... nothing like crafting yourself to near half death!

• Like 1

Latest update to this ongoing saga...

Finally got around to crafting a Moose hide project...  Decided to go for the satchel and when I selected the item, I was presented with the timer selection option.  Hmmm, did they fix it?  I'm wondering.  I had my choices between a sewing kit and the fishing line, big time difference between the two options, so I choose the less time consuming option utilizing the sewing kit.  10 hours with sewing kit vs. 20 hours with with fishing line.  Decided to break it down to two 5 hour crafting sessions, set the first session and clicked go!  Soon as I get started, sewing kit is ruined with 4 hours time remaining, pop open a new sewing kit and finish up.  Nice!  (or so I'm thinking...)

I take a little break, eat some food and drink some water.  looking good on the stats, still got a lot of daylight left so I decided to finish up and proceed to do so.  Another 5 hour stint and satchel completed.  As I got to outfit my new satchel, I notice that somehow I've taken damage?  My health bar is down like 15%?  what?  how does that happen?  I figure okay another crazy little glitch, I figure I will sleep and recover.  Nope.  Wake up with no change on the damage bar indicator.  Eat and drink, all topped off and check all my stats, no injuries, no sprains, no bites, no burns, no food poisoning, no dysentery, no chlamydia, no nothing.   Still short on the health bar.  Defies explanation.

• Upvote 2

Try picking, as in clicking on the item so it is selected,  something that allows selection of quantities like tinder plugs.  You don't have to make any.  Then switch back to the item you want to craft.  You may find that the time selection slider has reappeared.  I just went into the game and tried it and it works as I just described. 

I had reported this to Hinterland and they told me that as a work-around.  When I first tried it, I had to futz around trying to remember exactly what I was supposed to do.  I was glad when it finally worked.  I would also mention that the "fix" seems to persist as long as the game is up.  If you close out the game then restart it (not reloading a save game) the "fix" disappears and has to be done again. 

Good luck.

Don't know about the condition loss or failure to recover.  I didn't see it on the few times I crafted recently. I am sure I'd notice it since I have well-fed buff. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Almost like it's confused your health bar with your encumbrance...have you ever modded/save game editor on that save?

nope.  didn't even know you could do such a thing.  it was just an old save file from quite some time ago, from at least well before Bleak Inlet.