where did that can of peaches go?

piddy3825

I'm curious as to why food items disappear from my selves once they expire as compared to items on shelves that I find when foraging?  Apparently touching or handling an item starts off their countdown timer to oblivion.  But why do  those items vanish from the shelf instead of just sitting there as a "ruined" item?   

In my own gameplay, I like to forage and stockpile as much loot as I can in my player base while living off the land as best I can.   Sometimes when I get back to home base with another load of loot,  i've got significant holes in my food stockpile.  yet comparatively, I can break a bow, use up a whetstone and ruin clothing and still be able to "display" those items.  sure I could put some items in a drawer and make them disappear but why dont those items just also disappear like the food stuffs do?  

like i said, just curious

If you're seeing items disappear from shelves that are not in a container, I have no idea about that.  

14 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

yet comparatively, I can break a bow, use up a whetstone and ruin clothing and still be able to "display" those items.  sure I could put some items in a drawer and make them disappear but why dont those items just also disappear like the food stuffs do? 

Anything that can be harvested (clothes, broken arrow, ruined torch, etc.) will not disappear from containers, whether they expire as they are stored, or if you put a ruined item into a container.  I haven't seen a broken bow, but a ruined one should disappear if put in a container.  Same with a ruined whetstone.

Edited by MrWolf

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

If you're seeing items disappear from shelves that are not in a container, I have no idea about that.  

Anything that can be harvested (clothes, broken arrow, ruined torch, etc.) will not disappear from containers, whether they expire as they are stored, or if you put a ruined item into a container.  I haven't seen a broken bow, but a ruined one should disappear if put in a container.  Same with a ruined whetstone.

yeah, just expired food items disappear off the shelves after being place there.  typically notice it after going outside and then coming back in later

19 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Apparently touching or handling an item starts off their countdown timer to oblivion. 

I think the decay starts when your game starts. I have moved first time to Bleak Inlet in day 200 of my run. And all canned fish were 0%.

2 hours ago, acada said:

I think the decay starts when your game starts. I have moved first time to Bleak Inlet in day 200 of my run. And all canned fish were 0%.

well that would make sense... i'm like day 150 in this walkabout and just scaled the summit at Timberwolf Mt.  and all the peanut butter in the cargo is at 9%...  not even worth packing out... got like 9 storm lanterns at 92% each though, 😁

23 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

But why do  those items vanish from the shelf instead of just sitting there as a "ruined" item?   

Like you said, sounds like a "flag" gets triggered when you pick up an item.  For example, you can find a 0% can of peaches on a shelf (that you have never touched), but the moment you pick it up, that flag is set so if you put it back on a shelf (aka drop it), the "clean-up" code kicks in and removes it from the game.  Just speculation...

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Like you said, sounds like a "flag" gets triggered when you pick up an item.  For example, you can find a 0% can of peaches on a shelf (that you have never touched), but the moment you pick it up, that flag is set so if you put it back on a shelf (aka drop it), the "clean-up" code kicks in and removes it from the game.  Just speculation...

and that's exactly what's happening...  in that case even the can disappears.  on the other hand, I can pick up a "ruined" can and still open it eat the contents and harvest the can...  just saying it dont make no proper sense.  

10 hours ago, JaySovereign said:

I sometimes see cans and units of wood disappear when i enter a new map or an indoors space. What's up with that?

I think there's a default state for things that gets updated just after you go through a loading screen.  If you kill a wolf just outside a building, when you leave the building you'll usually see the wolf upright for a very brief moment, then fall over on its side.  Or if you've opened a car hood or mailbox, you'll see those things re-open the moment you come outside.  So if an indoor space had items that you picked up or moved, maybe the game records what you've done and for a brief moment on entering the space, you might see the game setting up the area based on what you've picked up or moved.  Just a guess.

Edited by MrWolf