I need help with Bleak Inlet

melcantspell

I just died on day 152 in my best Stalker game so far. Had it easy from day 1 (hadn't played Stalker in a while, it was a blast!), wasn't ever below 90% health. 

I spent 152 days all across the maps, in HRV, Timberwolf Mountain, Pleasant Valley, Forlorn Muskeg, Milton, Mystery Lake, anywhere. I shot 10 bears, a few moose, life was good. I had weapons galore. 

Then I was like - hey, let's give Bleak Inlet another try. I was there only once in a previous game, and made it to the cannery, but then I died on my way back to the next region, so my memories for that region were bittersweet. 

I went there on day 151, and made it to the lighthouse / radio tower in the evening. Spent the night there. Didn't have a second rope, so headed back to the ravine the next morning. 

Ran into timberwolves, which I shot repeatedly with my revolver until I died on the icy lake between the ravine and the radio tower. 

Really? 

I know I am the one to blame here, but I am not sure what exactly I am doing wrong here. Obviously I don't insta-kill the wolves. But when being attacked by 5 timberwolves, how can I make sure to instakill them? 

The bar was almost all the way down. I would have needed one more shot. If only I hadn't died quicker than that. 

ONE battle with the wolves. On day 152. 

Geez, that really sucks. I am very disappointed, not with the game, but with myself. I must be doing something VERY wrong with these timberwolves. please help me. 

One day I would like to go back to Bleak Inlet, and maybe even enjoy the region. 

Just want to add - I actually DO enjoy the region. I feel it just sucks that all my good runs end there instantly. I do enjoy a challenge and I will definitely try again someday. The bummer with BI is, you can't really go there in the beginning of a game. So, you spend so many hours with that run, and get used to it, and then - bam - it just explodes into thin air. I literally spent less than 15 real life minutes in BI this evening until my run was deleted because I bled to death on my very first encounter with the wolves. 

How can I best prepare for this? I was thinking "play more stalker" (instead of interloper), so I can get used to more wolves, but stalker is not a problem at all. It's the timberwolves, I do not know how to handle them. How can I best learn that, without sacrificing 150 day runs (it was the 2nd time tonight, really hurts)?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, melcantspell said:

I spent 152 days all across the maps, in HRV, Timberwolf Mountain, Pleasant Valley, Forlorn Muskeg, Milton, Mystery Lake, anywhere. I shot 10 bears, a few moose, life was good. I had weapons galore.

That seems very good for Stalker.  Was it a straight Stalker game or custom version or did you use any mods?

Timberwolf packs can be overwhelming, if you haven't practiced them before. I see many players who take their chances with animals and don't observe and interact to find out how to control them, but instead just try to shoot them, maybe take a struggle, and maybe die. Risking your life in this way I have to feel is the wrong approach to long-term survival.

T-wolves will also dodge your shots; don't aim in front of their nose, but hitscan the shot in from their bum and try to get some kind of hit. They stop and growl at a fire (or a dropped, lit blue flare), and run away when you aim at them. They will loop back, giving you some kind of a long-distance shot when they return - you must fire before the stop and growl. Once bled, they will die. And they will only nip at you, which means if you have good Protection on your outer clothing items, your clothing will take the bulk of the damage. In this way, four T-wolves can actually be easier to deal with than 1 normal wolf, which could take a big chunk of health, and heal up and be ready to attack you again.

The packs stalk around a number of preset spots, which means you can select where to fight them, or go around. You can crouch past them, even if it's a narrow passage. This also means you can build a snow shelter if you want to hunt them, and dive back into it if they get too close in a fight. Once their morale is broken, they will leave you alone for a while. If you kill all of them, they will open a spot for a new pack to appear. If you leave 1, it will be sad and lonely and afraid, never attack, and hold a pack spot for longer if you need to carry stuff back and forth.

I thought long and hard about risking my 500-day Loper run on day ~300 by conquering Bleak Inlet. I prepared a base in the Ravine Basin cave with lots of arrows and bandages, and built snow shelters midway between bases that I established. The bases meant that I could double back from trouble, and the midway shelters cut distances in half. Looking back, I overprepared; I killed 5 packs with less trouble than I got from the cold and windy weather. But I wanted it to be as safe as I could possibly make it because of the all-or-nothing 500 days goal. You can watch me play very cautiously and with the greatest respect for the packs in this Youtube series. Knowing what I know now, I would still go in with some respect for the packs, but be able to follow this play with more confidence.

Edited by Gun Tech.
  • Upvote 3

I play standard Stalker,  no customized settings. 

Thanks for your thoughts, Gun Tech. Yep, I agree, risking life in a perma-death game because you don't know the mechanics doesn't feel very helpful. Especially since it is kinda hard leaning the mechanics that way. I can't even remember what I had done wrong the last time, as soon as I get another chance. 

I definitely suck at aiming, probably need to train this a lot more (I am used to playing Interloper, avoiding wolves as much as possible). 

Would you actually recommend making a fire after Timberwolves have already attacked? Also, will avoid tactics work with Timberwolves in any way (I haven't found one that works so far, but maybe there is one), or do I always have to shoot them?

I watched your videos Gun Tech , I really like your snow shelter strategy for sure against the timber wolves . Also a much more calculated approach to entering the region building up your resources along the way to to the cannery. Have to give it a try when I get my current run to enter the region. Have a run going that I'm challenging myself to stay 50 days in each region currently 38 days in PV and then heading to Timberwolf Mountain but the plan eventually means spends 50 days on Bleak Inlet just not sure my timing for the visit. Thinking after I do Forlorn Muskeg.