Deers head tracking (creepy)

acada

Just wonder if it is some new behaviour. I am walking near group of deers. I am detected, but not in close range so deer does not run away. But they are turning its head towards me. I mean constantly, all the time. One is walking perpendiculary with head towards me. Second is walking away with head towards me. It seems creepy.

• Upvote 1

I mean it makes sense if they spot you, they'd likely want to keep an eye on you - prey animals do have to be hypervigilant after all, or they end up as someone's meal.  :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I'll have to go sneak up on some and see if I see the same.  If so, this sounds like a wonderful "stealth change."  :)  That is unless it's as unnatural looking as you seem to be describing...  Do you have a screenshot?  I would be great to see what you're seeing.

Edited by ManicManiac

On 2/5/2020 at 1:03 PM, acada said:

Just wonder if it is some new behaviour. I am walking near group of deers. I am detected, but not in close range so deer does not run away. But they are turning its head towards me. I mean constantly, all the time. One is walking perpendiculary with head towards me. Second is walking away with head towards me. It seems creepy.

I have never seen this action before! I can't wait to see it myself!

I think you're just noticing the new animation.

Previously, deer wouldn't turn their heads. They'd only raise or lower their heads vertically during their animation cycle. Now, deer 'scan' their surroundings with a left-right head turn during their animation.

It's a nice little change Hinterland introduced, but also bloody annoying if you're trying for a head-shot with the bow.

• 2 weeks later...