The Long Dark Hotfixed to V1.71 [58341]

Admin

57 minutes ago, BlueMaxW said:

I am sad that tea and other warmable food items now lose their "hot" status  and suddenly become "cold" even though they are sitting next to a raging fire. 

So that we have to pick them up and start reheating again after a while?

I think the "drink down to 0.01kg and keep lightweight medicinal tea in your bag" was way more patchworthy. (Maybe teas could give a condition, andrequiring to keep that condition for the length of one full cup to achieve the healing effect? Or a 'healing risk' that causes healing at 100% but goes away after a while of not filled up by drinking a full cup worth of tea?)

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, acada said:

I like your name for this fix... "Relentless Bugfixer"

Well to be honest that's what the game needed. The Long Dark has managed an incredible feat: Stay fresh, relevant and replayable more than half a decade into it's lifespan. How many singleplayer games can claim that for themselves? Not many, and those that can are among the greatest titles ever to see the light of day. It's a staple at this point, and it's basically the reference implementation of a survival game every new entry into the genre - which TLD basically defined singlehandedly - has to measure up to.

Sure, the graphics might be a bit dated by now, but in the age of retro gaming: is that really a disadvantage? All Hinterland needs to do is keep the game polished and working ootb with a bit of new content every few months, and The Long Dark will live (and sell) another 5 years no problem. 

I might be hard on the game and the devs at times - and no, I'm not sorry for that - but all things considered The Long Dark objectively has made its place among the greatest games ever released. It would be a shame to see that legacy ruined by a few bugs.

Edited by jeffpeng

• Admin locked and unpinned this topic