That bug scared the **** outta me...

Shug Ninx

Hello there !

I've started playing the Long Dark early December, first in story mode then in survival mode after finishing episode three a dozen days ago.

The game is really enjoyable, but despite some hotfixes following 1.64 release, I still encountered many cases of carcasses "sunk" into ice after entering a building.

That wasn't much of a concern until today, 86th day  of my experience on voyageur difficulty. After several days in Bleak Inlet, expecting an Aurora night I was leaving the Cannery workers residences at sunset on my way to the factory, crossing directly through the ice, when I crossed path with a living bear that was actually walking under the ice, thus invisible and unaudible until it switched to attack mode.

I first heard it, then saw its head popping out of the ice, I was about to take a screenshot since I thought it was stuck in the terrain but to my horrifying surprise (not exaggerating) its body then popped out of the ice entirely. Too late to run away, I got hammered by the beast then patched myself up when I noticed the bear was coming back for a second strike. That's when the panic really kicked in and my little finger hit the crouch key (ctrl) instead of the run one (shift), and I got wasted a second time in a row. I miraculously survived the second attack, but lost rabbitskin hat and gloves and a pair of ear wraps, and the rest of my outer layer clothes got seriously damaged.

I'm filing a bug report to Hinterland support, but I guess there's no way to revert back to a previous save given the game mechanics ?

Anyway, it's not the first time I hear a bear or a lone wolf about to attack without being able to locate it, I generally didn't push my luck too far and ran away rather than going around rocks or hills to actually see the threat, but I suspect it's a kind of the same bug, except today the bear was really under the ice, this time I saw it... and that's much more worrying than sinking carcasses.

Thanks for reading, I really needed to vent the pressure out 😅

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of wierd happening.  I had a deer yesterday that was obviously spawned inside a rock.  I could hear its hooves running (clickity, clickity) and walked around and around the area where the sound was the loudest... which was whenever I was standing on top of a huge rock outcrop near the base of the path up to the plane crash in Pleasant Valley.  No dear on site, but the sound was persisting.  While this isn't a "sinking" problem, I think it is somewhat related to your invisible bear.

I also shot a wolf yesterday that tried to run off, but really couldn't seem to get proper traction and I wound up following him for more than 5 minutes at this slow pace... with him trying to run the whole time, bleeding, but never weakening or bleeding out:

I killed a wolf out of pity the other day... 

Poor thing was stucked half inside a rock, really doing pity full cries.... Like when they are bleading

I was not needing its meat, but I shot him, and harvested him. 

He is now part of my coat... 

Yeah, I had the same thing going on with this wolfy below the ice......Got to beware of those "tremors" out there.....The sad part is I left PUBG on xbox just so I could get away from people who get stuck under places and shoot up at me. Now I got bears and wolves doing the same thing. XD

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/wizardo3/video/83810983

Edited by wizard03

5 hours ago, Shug Ninx said:

@wizard03 That's exactly what I experienced. I guess it won't be easily fixed though, as this bug occurence is quite rare.

Im getting it all the time now....had your bear instance 3 times today while goofing around with the new challenge and then the normal wolves seemed to do it once every run once I got out of BI.

I shot a bear in Bleak Inlet by cannery residences and took a bit of meat at sunset. Went back the next day to finish harvesting and the crows we’re circling the site but no bear. I stood underneath the crows and searched around but no bear. I never thought about it sinking into the ice. I reported it to Hinterland. Makes the game more interesting anyway. 😅

On 1/9/2020 at 2:46 AM, wizard03 said:

Im getting it all the time now....had your bear instance 3 times today while goofing around with the new challenge and then the normal wolves seemed to do it once every run once I got out of BI.

Yeah I got another instance of submarine bear while crossing the unnamed pond in ML. Support replied to my request stating they're aware of the issue and working on it.

Anyway, I now got myself stuck in terrain above the crash site in PV, and sprained an ankle and a wrist trying to get out of an otherwise perfectly safe looking pathway... 😓