Other survivors in survival mode

Timmytwothumbs

I know a huge part of survival mode is being completely alone but what if they took the characters from story mode and they randomly spawned at their locations but in survival mode. Maybe they could request things from you in exchange for other gear. or maybe you could trade with them for supplies. Maybe they would have a fire going that you can use. Anyways just an idea that I thought might add to the experience a bit in survival mode. But I'd love to hear what you guys think about it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 1:22 AM, Timmytwothumbs said:

I know a huge part of survival mode is being completely alone but what if they took the characters from story mode and they randomly spawned at their locations but in survival mode. Maybe they could request things from you in exchange for other gear. or maybe you could trade with them for supplies. Maybe they would have a fire going that you can use. Anyways just an idea that I thought might add to the experience a bit in survival mode. But I'd love to hear what you guys think about it. 

Actually, introducing NPCs to the sandbox survival was once part of a roadmap published by Hinterland long ago. However, it was dropped at some point. I don't know whether the reason was ever revealed, and whether the idea was dropped for good or just postponed.

On 12/18/2019 at 7:22 PM, Timmytwothumbs said:

Hmm, a "peaceful only" interaction mode?.....maybe a server with 5 survivors scattered around?.....Or, super crazy idea, you only load in with a particular group and you must survive as a group?......interesting.....

Guest kristaok
On 12/19/2019 at 5:42 PM, diggity said:

I would like to see hallucinations or ghosts maybe, due to mental duress or breakdown or fatigue.  However I think they said no to that a long time ago.

As for real NPC's for me that would detract from the extreme solitary nation of survival mode.  There's enough NPC's in story mode. 

I would say no to both, I don't want mental illness in the game, and I also like the feeling of being alone in the Sandbox Mode.

On 12/31/2019 at 4:36 AM, Hotzn said:

Actually, introducing NPCs to the sandbox survival was once part of a roadmap published by Hinterland long ago. However, it was dropped at some point. I don't know whether the reason was ever revealed, and whether the idea was dropped for good or just postponed.

Ralph talks that during their "designing the powerful loneliness of the long dark" video.