Railroad Lantern

ajb1978

Here's a wish-list item that'll end up buried and forgotten, but hell with it. Here goes anyway!!  Maybe it'll spark someone's imagination somehow.

A Railroad Lantern.  Similar to the Storm Lantern, but requires a match or firestriker to light.  It casts a red light thanks to its red glass globe, and barely lights up a room.  It casts more light than a lit match, but less than a torch, emits the same heat as a regular lantern.  You can navigate using its light, but you can only see a few meters ahead of you.  However, the lantern is VERY fuel efficient.  A full tank of lamp oil burns for 24 hours, making the Railroad Lantern a great way to craft or read in the dark.

Necessary?  Nope.  But as I type this by the light of my actual railroad lantern that I just lit for the heck of it (I'm weird, I like the smell of burning kerosene) I figured I'd throw this out there on the off chance it's secretly a brilliant idea.

20190914_195133.jpg

• Upvote 7

I like it. But, as you said is it necessary? Nope. 
It does pose a trade off in better fuel efficiency vs needing a match or striker to light it. 

But, then why would you bother with a storm lantern, ever? Find the railroad lantern fill it with fuel, 24 hours of light, on one filling. Seems a bit OP. Perhaps a shorter duration from a full tank, 4 hours? 6 hours? And crafting a wick from cloth for replacement/repairs would be needed.

I am not sure where we would find this, or why. Storm lanterns make sense to me, with the remote, rugged wilderness setting. But "modern" railroad would not be likely to have a railroad lantern, other than as a souvenir from a past time, or in homes, perhaps, as a decorative item. But a red lantern used for signalling in the past wouldn't be something I would expect to find on a modern railcar or engine. 

I do like it, it does have a a nice aesthetic to it. But I am not sure it has enough value gameplay-wise to make it worth Hinterland creating and adding to the game with the number of lighting options we already have. Mixed feelings here. Half of me wants it, half of me wonders if it would be worth it, and if they would have to limit the availability of storm lanterns and flares in the game, to balance out the risk vs reward of finding one of these. *grits teeth in indecision*

I like that railroad/storm/hurricane lantern but it represents a duplication of light sources albeit with differences. Now if the game differentiated between lamp oil and kerosene (or had gasoline) that might then justify having two lanterns - one lit by a match or burning ember but lasts a long time, is not extremely bright, and the fuel can be readily obtained by cooking fish and the other uses a petroleum-based fuel, perhaps not a scarce as has been experienced in the game (there can be a use for abandoned cars and fueling stations and more jerry cans), but uses a mechanical striker to light it and it burns much brighter.

But the game is not in early access (and there is always the problem about how much light does something produce and how large an area does it cover),  so a moot point. It would fit into a mix of older and modern technology. 

• 1 year later...

Maaan, I really like it. Just like you and someone else said above, I really think that it is not something similar, but just something amazing, that could please our eyes. Honestly, my favorite kind of lanterns have to be railroad lanterns and hurricane lanterns. They are both, classy and weird looking at the same time. I have recently found a led lantern that is designed exactly like a storm lantern, and I was kind of amazed. Sure thing I bought it, even though I do not really need it, and you know what, I do not regret it :D.

• Upvote 2