Unrealistic item degradation rates

toddajstewart

Some in game items degrade at unrealistic rates. This definitely includes clothes and other items like matches. There are many more. If the game is meant to be as realistic as possible, then 'all items' degradation rates needs be reviewed.

I froze to death through loss of condition in clothes that degraded down to less than 20% in ONLY 20 days.

You're right, items in game degrade faster than in real life. 16 years ago I bought a new leather winter jacket. I've worn it every winter since. Last year I had to have it fixed because holes were starting at the seems of the pockets. The jacket was still fully functional, even with the holes but it didn't look very good.

But if items in the game would last as long as IRL, you would never ever need to repair them. You'd be dead long before your items even started showing signs of deterioration... There would be no need to harvest items for their materials, or to repair anything. They might as well remove those mechanisms from the game completely.

Now with the november updates the increased deterioration due to bad weather was introduced and the rate is very high. That needs to be tuned for sure, but other than that, clothes deterioration is well balanced if you ask me.

Also, The Long Dark is not meant to be as realistic as possible. They are building a game, not Real Life Sim 2015.

Yes but to balance something they need feedback from us. If nobody says they don't like it, they won't change it.

And good news to everyone who thought the degradation of clothes was to high. With the v.181 update they have lowered this. And the effect of weather has also been lowered.

• 2 weeks later...

Rifle and tool rate of loss seem excessive. Certainly compared with real life, but in game it gets to be a bit of a nuisance to no real benefit in game play.

As far a clothes, they seem to be getting much more badly damaged if you are out in the blizzards or getting mauled by wolves. And I suppose that makes sense. In my latest build I've been conservatively staying inside when it's stormy, and the clothes are lasting a lot longer. I've made do with a single sewing kit.

Yeah bad weather is hard on the clothes. This has already been decreased with the last updates, but still needs some tuning if you ask me.

But indeed, with staying inside when the weather is bad clothes last a good time. I was at 150 days when I started my 3rd sewing kit, but I do wear all clothes I find but don't want out before harvesting them.

I would like the rifle and can opener to become unusable when they reach 0% condition, but be repairable back to usefulness, albeit in different ways. The can opener, for example, would be more interesting to repair if the character muttered stuff like "that's funny, the blade is too blunt" or "the hinge has seized, I'm gonna have to fix this", either annoucement would require a different component. I think I'll make a post about this on the wishlist

This game is not about hardcore realism, it's about being a fun and immersive game that simulates the difficulty of surviving in the brutal winter environment. They have to compromise sometimes to make the game enjoyable and balance the mechanics.

Perfectly stated!!! (I may have to steal it for a lot of post responses) :lol:

This game is not about hardcore realism, it's about being a fun and immersive game that simulates the difficulty of surviving in the brutal winter environment. They have to compromise sometimes to make the game enjoyable and balance the mechanics.

Perfectly stated!!! (I may have to steal it for a lot of post responses) :lol:

Just put it in your signature :D

Archived