Fishing minigame

ajb1978

I know overhauling fishing is a HUGE ask.  Like, one in which I almost feel bad even asking for, because who am I to request an enhancement that's going to cost that many G's in payroll funds.  This is mostly me sharing a suggestion on how to make fishing a more involved user experience.  I am under no illusions that this will be taken seriously, I'm mostly just...making conversation. :) 

That said....let's get into the meat and taters.

First, fishing tackle would require a hook, line, and stick to create.  The stick becomes a makeshift bobber.

Fishing would take place in two waves: luring, and catching.  During the luring phase, you chop your hole in the ice and drop your line.  A small piece of wood floating on the surface as a makeshift bobber is your visual aid.  You as a player would have to monitor the bobber carefully to watch for a nibbling fish. 

A fish that is nibbling is represented by the bobber dipping below the surface for half a second, then resurfacing.  Tap the space bar once to try and keep the fish's interest, and watch carefully. If the fish bites, the bobber will disappear below the surface for two seconds.  Within that two seconds, you can tap the space bar again to set the hook.  If you fail, the fish loses interest and you start over.

Once the hook is set, the UI changes to be similar to a wolf struggle, but the bar has a green zone in the center, and red zone red on the far left and right.  The higher your skill level, the larger the green section.  An indicator starting in the middle begins to move towards the red chunk on the left.  Every time you hit Space, it jumps towards the red chunk on the right, and the indicator gravitates to the left naturally over time.  The greater the weight of the fish, the faster the indicator moves to the left.  The objective is to keep the indicator in the center green zone for ten seconds without it ever touching either of the red zones.  If it touches red zone on the left, the hook becomes dislodged, you fail to catch the fish, your tackle takes a 10% condition hit, but you get to keep it.  If it touches the red zone on the right, the line snaps and the fishing tackle is destroyed outright.  If you keep the indicator in the green for the ten seconds, you've successfully pulled the fish out of the water.

And just for realism, every caught fish makes your gloves gain 5% wetness.  Further incentive to light a fire.

Level 1: Green zone is 25% of the total bar size.
Level 2: Green zone is 40% of the total bar size.
Level 3: Green zone is 60% of the total bar size. Can "pass time until bite" to skip directly to the "fish struggle".  Fish weight affects capture difficulty 25% less
Level 4: Green zone is 75% of the bar size.  Can "pass time until bite".  Green zone time needed for successful capture is reduced to 7 seconds. Fish weight affects capture difficulty 50% less.  Can chop ice holes into any ice surface (similar to campfire placement).
Level 5: Green zone is 90% of the bar size.  Can "pass time until bite".  Green zone time needed for successful capture is reduced to 5 seconds. +25% to fish weight.  Fish weight does not affect capture difficulty.  Can chop ice holes into any ice surface. Gloves no longer get wet when catching fish, because why not, you're a master.

(I was tempted to add in fish cleaning as part of this....but that's going a bit overboard.  And besides, it takes less than a minute to slice a fish open, scoop out the guts, and rinse it so...yeah.)

Guest kristaok

You did well describing it, and in some Games Fishing Mini Games fit, but I don't think it would fit overall with TLD. :/ 

I like your idea on how to overall fishing because it make that boring section a game of outsmarting and finesse, personally I don't like to mash with consistance when it come to fishing because fish like to be impracticable, but do you intend each fish to have different stamina and responses in neutral and while fighting ?

In neutral I expect fishes to get more suspicious if you miss too much in the spot and how agressive, plenty they are depending of time of the day, weather and the location, when fighting they can get completely overpowered if they have no stamina left no matter their size  or how much feints and rushs before they get exhausted.

If you just intend to be a simple mini game then I'm still happy of your idea

Cool suggestion!

Another possibility that comes to mind (and perhaps might be simpler to implement) might be the ability to craft an ice fishing rig... I'm not sure what the actual term for it is.  Maybe requiring reclaimed wood, fishing tackle, cloth (or something like this).  This way ice fishing could also be a more passive activity like using the rabbit snare.  You would set up your rig and wait (or go do something else) until the flag pops up when a fish is caught, and just like the snare if it's neglected for too long the fish would "get away" and need to be reset.

1595140104_Icefishingrig.png.8c9eff70b7038ba34f2cdb139ad884fc.png

Archived