Better interaction system?

peepercreeper

It’s always the small things that make the game more emersive. 

This wouldn’t be too hard to add and could just delay the upcoming update by a week.

instead of having a circle as you are interacting with something you could actually be doing that for example instead of that progress bar you would actually be opening it like you would in real life you would be able to SEE them item in the cabinet not a gui but like you’d see a coffee mug in a microwave.

Proposing a synchronized-animation event for each search action is an exceptionally huge ask, and would require an incredible amount of development time.  This wouldn't delay development by a week, it would be several months minimum.  I take it you're not a software developer?

Also you can already find mugs of coffee sitting inside microwaves.

28 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Proposing a synchronized-animation event for each search action is an exceptionally huge ask, and would require an incredible amount of development time.  This wouldn't delay development by a week, it would be several months minimum.  I take it you're not a software developer?

Also you can already find mugs of coffee sitting inside microwaves.

Totally agree. We are far from "minor changes", else we already would have feet.

I'm not sure what you are talking about would be a quick fix... it sounds to me like a complete overhaul of existing systems.  It would after all require an animation for opening the container, then the placement of all random items found there in every possible combination so that they fit it some kind of reasonable way... that last part alone would take a lot of work.

I feel like the existing system works fine.

What I meant was instead of a progress bar you open the cabinet door no animations needed just like you would open a microwave door and then items would randomly spawn inside and you would pick them up just like you normally would if they were on the ground

I understand, but the placement of those random items is what would take a lot of work... there are a lot of variables and combinations.  To make the placement of those items look like they fit in some kind of reasonable way would take a lot of work.  That's all I was getting at. 

What you propose is a perfectly fine idea... I just don't think it's as simple as you think it would be.

:)

You could always drop that question in the Milton Mailbag Question thread, perhaps the man himself might weigh in on it.

Guest kristaok
3 hours ago, peepercreeper said:

I have some experience on unity they could just replace all the scripts attached to the cabinet prefab and then replace all the cabinets in the game (which should take about a week)

i might not be correct this is just a guess

•  

If it was really that simple they probably would have done it that way already, so I doubt it's that simple. To be quite honest I like the way it is now, I am fine with the way the mechanics work. It would take a lot longer to open up the Cabinets, Drawers, etc. and literally pick up each item one at a time to place in the Backpack that way, the way we have now you can take all the Items at once if you want. 

I know you think it's simple to make the Cabinets etc. open up like the Microwave, and have the Food, Items, etc. inside, but I think you'd be surprised if you saw what probably had to go into making those sort of changes. 

Archived