Whiteout - Speedruns

NardoLoopa

First time with the Whiteout challenge.  Thought I'd try to see how fast I could complete it.

image.png.80a4d13125cb21bf6af52e7663670c93.png

3 days 17hrs 19m

Possible areas for improvement:

• I came up 0.3L short of finding all the kerosene on CH, so made a quick run to the transition to DP.  Found a lantern there that put me over.  I might have left a lantern on CH behind, when I didn't think lanterns counted towards kerosene (no idea what gave me that idea)
  • Food in CH left me 3days short.  I shot a Bear, but couldn't find his carcass.  Hadn't gone home.  No crows near Quonset.  Had to shoot a deer as well.  Sorry, pal.
  • 16 rnds of ammo on CH+Mine.  Might not have had to use the mine, but it also was  minor source of kerosene
  • Found all but 6 loose reclaimed wood on the map
  • Found all but 12 loose soft/hard wood on the map
  • Picnic is a good place for the hatchet (but think I found 3 on the map)
  • 16L short of water -- spent 8hrs boiling at the very end of the run.  Should have made this in parallel with other tasks.
  • 2 rifles: one in the corner on Jackrabbit.  one in Abandoned.
  • I certainly could have used more abandon in my food/water/sleep management.  Starvation is certainly the way to go.  At the end I had some weird yellow (i) on my fatigue icon, and some red creeping from 12 to 2 o'clock.  Not sure what that was about, but I took it to be a good sign.

I cleaned out CH pretty good.  Only a couple fishy shacks remained (guarded by wolves).  Not sure if I could have found the kerosene there.

I do wonder if the map is setup to have everything you need, if you find it all.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

When I first started playing the TLD. I tried this challenge several times. The one thing I had a hard time finding was always the rifle.

14 hours ago, NardoLoopa said:

2 rifles: one in the corner on Jackrabbit.  one in Abandoned.

Good to know these are two spawns.

• Upvote 1

@NardoLoopa

Very interesting run!
I finished it now may be 15 times, and aborted a lot more.
The nice thing with this challenge is, that it can have many different aspects. Like short on coffee or oil.
Sometimes  it has already 8-9 days food in the first 6 houses, sometimes even food is short, or ones I did not find one single cooking pot. Same with ammo or clothes or painkillers.

With my current tactic I will not get any better, so I am already thinking on new ones. Less looting and may be find the most of the food by hunting.

However in my eyes the most difficult is the  oil, so I am going to the "Crumbling Highway" to loot the basement (first).

Of course no sleeping, so need at least 3 boxes of coffee. After cocking the coffee I always boil some water before I leave to next destination.

20190301234009_1.jpg

5 minutes ago, XaldinVii said:

When I first started playing the TLD. I tried this challenge several times. The one thing I had a hard time finding was always the rifle.

Good to know these are two spawns.

yes and then there is the car to Crumbling Highway on the BACK seats.

The dead body on the misanthrope island

The ice fishing hut between the islands or the dead body under the railway.

I guess those are the 6 places for the rifle in this challenge

Edited by Goodzilla
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, NardoLoopa said:
  • 16 rnds of ammo on CH+Mine.  Might not have had to use the mine, but it also was  minor source of kerosene

The mine is also a must go to for me. Always 5 ammo and plenty of oil, also a lantern is always there and of course I always carry about 5 to 8 coals with me.
They weight only 300 Gramm  and fire for one hour so most efficient for boiling water or cooking coffee.

26 minutes ago, Goodzilla said:

Of course no sleeping, so need at least 3 boxes of coffee. After cocking the coffee I always boil some water before I leave to next destination.

@Goodzilla I was thinking of you when I thought back over my run.  Was hoping you would post a reply.

I think I slept about 16hrs total, plus 8hrs of inefficient water-boiling, plus slow walking because of lack of coffee usage.  Even so, I'm very far behind your impressive run.

Getting oil and ammo certainly seems like the ultimate limiting factor.  Stims and Coffee made for an accelerated run, but the first two determine how many places you have to loot.  Crumbling Highway basement held nothing for me, but the mine beyond had a 0.75L lantern.  I had to return to Commuter's Lament after my first pass through looking for the rifle, so I think just making Crumbling+Mine part of the run is a better strategy over-all.

Also, if one heads toward Crumbling Highway first, then it saves a possible need to go to the picnic area, since a hatchet is more likely (I found 3 total).  Also would give early coal for water making and the like.  Maybe going to Crumbling directly, only looting the Coastal house for clothes, would make for more efficiency, since looting near Quonset can happen while boiling with coal.

Also, I think killing a bear as early as possible might obviate the need for more food.

Edited by NardoLoopa
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NardoLoopa said:

@Goodzilla I was thinking of you when I thought back over my run.  Was hoping you would post a reply.

I think I slept about 16hrs total, plus 8hrs of inefficient water-boiling, plus slow walking because of lack of coffee usage. 

So this is already more then 1 day you can safe.

9 minutes ago, NardoLoopa said:

@Goodzilla

Also, if one heads toward Crumbling Highway first, then it saves a possible need to go to the picnic area, since a hatchet is more likely (I found 3 total). 

To be honest, I never was in the picnic area before. The hatchet can be at many places, ,in tool boxes, dead body’s outside but also dead bodies in the first floor (on their left hand), they are difficult to see, I only found at some days ago.

In the Crumbling Highway basement there can be a canister up to 4 liter of oil! of course most times less but at least 2 liters

2 hours ago, Goodzilla said:

In the Crumbling Highway basement there can be a canister up to 4 liter of oil! of course most times less but at least 2 liters

It's almost a shame that it swings so wildly from 0L to 4L.  A 4L canister would have a huge impact on how fast a run could be, unless it was counterbalanced by something like ammo being ultra scarce.  For speed purposes it would be worth it to quit any run that didn't have at least 2.5L.

• Upvote 1

On 3.3.2019 at 10:14 PM, NardoLoopa said:

It's almost a shame that it swings so wildly from 0L to 4L.  A 4L canister would have a huge impact on how fast a run could be, unless it was counterbalanced by something like ammo being ultra scarce.  For speed purposes it would be worth it to quit any run that didn't have at least 2.5L.

This is exactly my tactic at the moment. It need to be noon to early evening, I run to the Waterfront Cottages where is at least one or two houses to loot, so my warmth bar will fill up, I keep all I found in the second house if it is there, check the dead body for the hatchet and the car at the end for the rifle on the rear seats and run to the basement in the Crumbling Highway. If there is a canister I continue the speedrun no matter is only 1,7L or 4 L. If there is no canister, I abort the run and start from beginning. I would say: 2 of 3 times there is a canister in the basement.

Another tactic could be to run first to the mine to check if there is a canister.
I only found one more place with a canister and that was in one house of the fishing camp.

After I found the canister in the basement and returned to the last house to pick up my depot, I check my weight, if under 25kg I will also visit the Misanthropes Homestead, other ways direct back to Quonset.
Now it should be night and cold, so I have time to loot the six houses around Quonset, fatigue should be still fine to do all 6 houses. Then I should also have enough fire stuff which I do not need for the challenge, to cook coffee.

After that I am not 100% sure what is the best way, I am still trying different strategies.

Something is short at this time: the rifle, ammo or food  (oil will no more be a problem)

If I haven’t found enough ammo, I should visit the mine anyhow, but in the mine I lose too much time looting everything, to find the 5 ammo you have to go the whole way through it. So right now I am trying to check both islands and the fishing hut in between, here are three possibilities to find the rifle, on my way back to Quonset I try to get at least 3 fishing huts. If I still not find any rifle, I have to go to the Lookout ( I do not like to go there, because besides the rifle and ammo there is no loot and such a long way to go there). Right now I always found the rifle at least here, if not the only possibility is the dead body below the railway which is simply too far away for a record.

The evening before yesterday I made a personal new record with 1day 6 h and some minutes, yesterday again over 1day 11h.

Funny thing was yesterday I found only baseball caps as headdress, at least 7 or 8 pieces.

Below my current tactic. However I think with this tactic I will never get under 24h. I would also like to avoid the mine and the lookout, but it is also hard to hunt with only 2 shots or something like that.

CH Speedrun.jpg

I guess we both know B Haru's Speedrun with under 22h.

As before at Hopeless rescue, right now I cannot believe to beat that time, especially since this is almost 3 years ago, and the game got more difficult in many ways, but who knows, maybe in 2-3 months I can also beat that time (like in Hopeless rescue)

However right now I cannot belief that his tactic would work with current version. He is looting whole Desolation Point even wood and sticks. I have to try ones, but still I guess I will return with 50 kg or more

• Upvote 1

Yesterday the game reminded me, that the hatchet still can be hard to find.
I had a very good run and could probably beat my 1d 6h for some hours, but no hatchet at all, still wanted to finish the run and finally found it with the dead body above the railways in the very west of CH, and no chance for a new best time.

So I started B Harus tactic and will finish it hopefully tonight

I'm pretty sure BHarus's run requires the rifle to be at Commuter's Lament.  He probably aborts the run if it is isn't.

It's surprising that he is so confident of finding enough oil that he uses the lantern for warmth.  Finding 2.5L in the basement was a score, but also most of his small bottles were 0.25L or more.  Maybe my run was just unlucky, but 0.10L was my experience.

I missed where he picked up the hatchet, but he had it by the time of Hybernia.  Interesting idea going all that way (even the distal cave) to get reclaimed and soft-wood.

Not sure the bear is guaranteed, but his time certainly relies on it.  Also made for a nice dramatic ending.

Also, i completely forgot about the water tablets.

His time certainly looks beatable -- but only because a cooking parallelism in newer releases -- which provide possible coffee and definitely faster water.  DP seems a promising route.

• Like 1

Hi NardoLoopa

Is it still so, that using the lantern outside gives you a little warmth bonus?? I could not follow that up.
Small oil bottles have up to 0,5L and the lowest I saw was 0,07L, but most of them have around 0,25L after my experience.
Collecting as much reclaimed and soft wood safes a lot of time by the end, I used to check the cave in broken railroad as well but I am not sure if it is worth it for the time and risk of a wolf.

Not sure the bear is guaranteed, but his time certainly relies on it.  Also made for a nice dramatic ending.

I also think with his tactic/way there is not enough food at all, so hunting is a must.

His time certainly looks beatable -- but only because a cooking parallelism in newer releases -- which provide possible coffee and definitely faster water.  .

I cannot say anything about that since I started gaming only in 2018 and I don’t know the exact differences, however @stapeliad gave me an answer to this before in "How not to sleep in Hopeless Rescue" , he wrote:  Anyhow, I don't think this 18 hour completion would be at all possible in today's game.
All the game values are different.  There were no blizzards, no wind, no darkness, no wolf attacks (Fluffy ran away!!!!), the lantern lasted forever, no weight limit on climbing (those were the days) and the game seemed to be basically in pilgrim mode. The cold didn't seem to be an issue at all like it is now.  Fatigue didn't slow the walking speed.  Knowing the maps seemed to be the biggest challenge. 

After this it would be much more difficult today then 2-3 years ago. Water tablets are very helpful to save time, however sometimes I don’t need them, because I make a fire for 2h+ , put snow on and when I return there are 4L water waiting for me if you do this twice should be enough water.

btw he found the hatchet in the tool box in Hibernia (at 19:06)

Edited by Goodzilla

So yesterday I tried exactly his route and I am now back in Quonset and looted also all 6 houses there.

I have got enough rifle(s) and ammo, oil and the hatched.

Food is at 9d which is ok, since I need to hunt with this tactic.

Short on wood and sticks but this is also easy to finish.

My big problem: I did not found ANY lantern ¬¬

My time right now is little under 19h, will have to abort or maybe I shall find a lantern by chance in a fishing hut nearby

btw here my current best time: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1675040163

Edited by Goodzilla
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Almost 3 weeks have passed since my last post, here is a small summary of what I have learned during this time and my experiences

My old tactic was  to run Broken Railroad and if I found a canister in the cellar, turn around back to CH.
My best time until then was 1d 6h 26m.

Now I wanted to try B Harus tactic.
In short, I did not beat my best time until yesterday, I came close to it but never below.

Something is always a problem (rifle / cartridges / hatchet / oil / lamp / weather)

Advantage in Desolation Point:

I leave the Rike (I have never seen a shot here in the mission) completely, I go from the church directly to the Hibernia and back through the cave.
I do not find much food and anyhow you have to pay attention to the overweight, but once found 3 Emergency Food!
Biggest advantage: wood, lots of wood.
To collect the wood saves a lot of time rather than having to hack it, this alone is worth the way to Desolation Point.
You can also find enough oil and ammo.

Only now I understood that a flare or oil lamp give a heat bonus! Up to 5 degrees! (if I only know this before when I speed run Hopeless Rescue)
In good weather you can walk without frostbite to Hibernia and back to Waterfront Cottages.
Also Desolation point has many places to warm up (2 x caves and Hibernia)

Old wood always needs 7.5 minutes per piece, except the boards that are in the church, so it is worth to hack 6 pieces here if you already have the hatched.

With a bit of luck, you can still meet the bear or moose (so far only seen 1 time in this mission) and already have a rifle.
It is always worth the bear to kill near the Gas station, even if you do not have all the shots together.
So yesterday I broke my old record for the first time with just under 1d 5h.

Steam.thumb.jpg.6ea339f283693ce121f86c53c4f9fc2d.jpg

Most important in my mind is the daytime you start and the temperature.
Also I had to learn that it is not worth it to loot to much cloths.
I start walking immediately to the waterfront cottages, there I loot only one house (sometimes there is only one) to get better cloths.
That shall be the last house where I loot drawers. Most time I finish the mission with only 10-13+ clothes.

I guess it is more important to find the hatched then the rifle (in the car), so I go on even there is no rifle in the car, two more chanced on my way in DP.

Even if I do not find the rifle, at least I know where to search in CH. In worst case it is at the dead body close to the railways and that means abort the run.

I will keep on it, right now I do not think I have any chance to beat 24h.

Edited by Goodzilla
  • Upvote 1

I had a few tries the last week. I agree that the positive aspects of going to DP predominate, especially so much wood to find.

On one of my last runs I meet another moose on the bridge above Matt's truck and another time a bear suddenly mauled me in CH. After mauled by the bear it still can make sense to continue, unfortunately a single wolf gave me the rest later on.

I also tried different tactics. My general rule is there must be at least two things (rifle, hatched or canister) before  Harris home to continue, but if the weather/temperature is very good I still proceed. So on my current best time I found nothing out of those three things. So I came back from DP with only plenty of oil (4l). The advantage is that you are not too overloaded. I found the rifle later on in the abandoned lookout  and the hatched in the log sort in CH.

Also I hunt down a bear three times, but I learned that it takes also a lot of time to fillet 15-20 kg of bear meet.

BTW bear meats always has 900 cal or only if it is fresh? I mean if I hunt a bear early and I will get the meat only later in the game is it still 900cla?

1d3s2m.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I am getting faster.

On my best times I found enough food and did not have to hunt.

Bear meat will give 900 calories. One day food is 3000 cal.
Means 10 kg meat is worth for 3 days. As far as I remember it takes 2 hours to cut that meat out with the knife. So I decided better to loot the two houses on the islands including 5 or 6 fishing huts. (needs about 3,5h only)

This will give me enough food after coming back from DP with about 3 days’ food + the six houses about 8 days of food. Meantime I will find more wood on this way so I only have to chop wood very little (one old one (30 min behind the garage) and one to two times the cedar/fir (2 x 45min)

I had another quite new problem on my current best time. I did not find any cooking pot in over 8 houses, so I could not cook water before leaving to the island route. There I only found one pot and finally lost more than 2 extra hours to finish the boiled water. Without this problem I would have been very close to beat 24h.

So right now I am very motivated to beat the 24h mark.

What I learned so far: stop looting any drawers or cabinets, I only wear the cloths that are lying around.

20190411203728_1.jpg

20190412200608_1.jpg

Finally getting closer to the 24 hours.

As on my last two records I did not have to hunt, found enough food for 15 days by looting.

Differences than before:
Less looting everything except kitchens.

Running around with cloths under 10 degree bonus.

Little optimizing my route.

Knowing every place where I can find ammo and wood

I had not to chop one single softwood and only one time old wood.

Now only 15 Minutes (real-time) away from B Harus extraordinary record.

What I can do to be faster.

No cloth looting at all except the cloths laying around.

More running and may be also using the emergency injection

1d 43.jpg

• Like 1

Got it the first time under 24 hours!

I watched the video from B Haru again and  I agree with you  @NardoLoopa  that it should be easier today.

Haru had to melt snow for 3 h and at that time he cannot do anything else. But this seems to be the only advantage with today’s game play.

I had a few runs with great temperature but on each one something important was missing, last run it was the hatchet.

However on my current record I found all the soft wood and only 3 old wood where missing.

Also I was short on food, but 7 kg of dear meet was enough to get the 15 days.

I never could believe this time some months or even weeks before.

It will be hard to beat that time myself.

Will still try to get under B Harus time.

Happy Eastern to all

20190420205933_1.jpg

Edited by Goodzilla
  • Like 2

Hi NardoLoopa

Thank you, I start getting quicker regularly.

Already beaten this time for some minutes and I am sure I will get under 21h soon.

However it looks like nobody else in this forum is playing/enjoying the game like I do = not interested in Speedruns.

• 3 weeks later...