Whiteout - Speedruns

NardoLoopa

On 5/19/2019 at 3:25 PM, Lohaan said:

@Goodzilla  This is the fastest time I have seen anywhere. Have you seen anything faster?

I am not very active in the www, but where I checked this time is unbeaten.

However may be on reddit or somewhere else there are better times??

Finally I got time to cut that video with my new record. However as I mentioned by PM I played this game in several parts and finished it late night  last Friday to Saturday and I forgot to record a part of it ( I realised it while gaming)

The missing part starts after looting the house on Jackrabbit Island. I used one more stim to run to Misanthrope’s Homestead and another stim to run home to Quonset Gas Station, also checked both fishing huts where I found some wood too. After coming back to the station I hacked 6 reclaimed wood next to the Station and one Cedar wood, back to the Garage and left them there to start hunting a wolf... and here the video continues.

image.png

Edited by Goodzilla

Great time for first try anyway!!

My first try was over 3 days 🙂

Also in this challenge the stims can make the big difference, but there are also many other important things. Hacksaw, Rifle, ammo, oil.

Where did you find the hacksaw and the rifle? Did you cook coffee in the Hiberna? How many wood did you have to hack?

3 hours ago, Goodzilla said:

Where did you find the hacksaw and the rifle?

I dont think you need a hacksaw? But the rifle was on the corpse by Misanthrope. One of the problems was the bandages which i had to craft. Had to chop only 2 limbs. I ended up looting the houses by the Quonset first, then cooking, and then running to DP and back. I'm thinking that cooking coffee for the run will help me so I dont have to walk all the way. But I'm not sure if this strategy will be working yet.

Yes you are right, I meant the hatchet (not the hacksaw).

In my eyes the hatchet is the most important to find.

I think your strategy can also work, but then you need another starting time, which should be probably early in the morning, so if you start to walk to Hibernia, it should be already early afternoon. My be I try this as well

Also one risk on your strategy is that you start looting the drawers and cupboads

3 minutes ago, Goodzilla said:

early in the morning,

The time of day doesn't really matter to me as long as the weather and visibility is good. I have walked into DP at night and warming up with a nice stars in the sky. So just depends on the luck with the weather. The hatchet I found on the corpse by the waterfront cottages and also found one in the toolbox in the mine.   I am focusing on only picking up the close that are lying around like you mentioned and seems to work.  Bandages and wood seems to be my biggest problems so far. And of course didn't get a rifle a few times. 

But yes, im trying to run around the Quonset area looting coffee and supplies, but not the 2 cottages across the road from the Quonset...only the ones on the sames side of the road., and then running to DP and running back, and then hopefully have more coffee to cook while looting the other 2 cabins across the road before heading round the fishing huts and islands.

Not sure yet if this is a good strategy but trying it nevertheless.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

So i went back to Whiteout after seeing your insane time Goodzilla. I spend some time trying to figure out the best route as i did not want to head for DP and return totally over encumbered as usual :) 

My current tactic is to first loot the houses around Qounset to get clothes, minimum 2 tins of coffee and 2 cooking pots. After this i brew coffee and set 2x2L water over and head for the fishing huts leading to the fishing camp. Depending on whether i have the hatchet at this point i check the small cabin just north of the small fishing camp and then trailer close to the mine, the mine, lookout, mountain goat down to the 3 small cabins and lastly check the trailer just north of Qounset area. Then i am ready to head for DP and hopefully have some stims, Go drinks and coffee and write down how much i need and look DP for the remaining.

After some runs around the 20 hour mark i got this run done at 18 hours and 24 minutes, which was after i returned from DP and had to cook 3.5L of water to finish, so it might be possible to get even lower.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

WOW @sholtolsen   CONGRATULATION!!!

The great thing is, that you tried a totally new tactic. I was still on BHarus tactic.

Amazing!

Thanks to you I also tried your tactic, looted the 6 houses first, went all they way like you over the mine and lookout back to the garae.In the mine I only checked the entrance for stim and coals.

After a few tries I also made a personal new record.

Thank you for your efforts

20200412234801_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Wow insane time! 

I have also been trying it again and again, but have not been able to get it lower, but i will get there :)

I have also tried including the fishing hut between the two islands with houses as there are sometimes a rifle spawn and wood.

But think there are still ways of tweaking the route and tactic to get it even further down then your time.

But congrats! Good work :) 

I will definetely be looking to do it. On the fastest run i posted i still had to cook 4L of water, which takes 2 hours, so a sub 17 hour time i definetely possible.

But i love that Goodzilla is here to push the time further down! Keeps me motivated :) 

• Upvote 1

Dear @sholtolsen

Sorry that I only write so little last few months.

However your new tactic motivated me to try this challenge again.

The biggest advantage here is that I do not have to hack any wood and this saves me a lot of time.

Also to have always some coffee power seems to save a lot of time during the two runs  away from the Garage.

I had two other runs where I could be easily under 16h but I did not found enough food.

So I guess soon I shall be under 16h here.

Made it with two stims only which I used for the final run back through CH

Sometimes I have three stims so I can also run through BR.

I guess weather is also quite important.

At the garage there are 2-4 houses where you can find wood. If there are only two houses I abort the run. If 3 or 4 houses I check how many wood is there in total. 4 is the minimum for me to continue the run.

If I have time I shall watch your last run and I will tell you what is the difference to my way.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...