Whiteout - Speedruns

NardoLoopa

Speedrun in Whiteout

General:

Don’t loot any locker, wardrobe or cupboard for clothes. Just pick up what is laying around.
I usually walk with max 7-8 temperature bonus and 3-4kg of clothes. Also make sure your cloths are not taking your power, my red bar at my stamina is super thin. Sneakers are the best choice for this Speedrun. Never chop wood, you need to find all wood on this tour.
Never ever drink or eat something except coffee.

I split the run in three Stages

1 Stage:

Loot all the 6 houses around the garage. There are minimum 2 houses with soft wood and maximum 4 houses.
What you need to find in that stage: at least 4 soft woods, two cooking pot and at least one coffee box, first chance for the hatchet. I collect here already 30 to 40 sticks. ALWAYS put 4 litre water on the fire before leaving!

I need 3 to 3,5 hours for this part

2 Stage:

You see my way at the map attached. Don’t go further in the mine until the first room where the second chance for a stim is. You will try to find as much wood as possible, oil, lantern, tinder and ammo. Two chances for the rifle and the hatched. I also pick up 2 books and 2 coals (if I did not find the briquette in stage 1). You should be almost 40 kg, if not try to visit the trailer at the end of this stage. Back in the garage first thing is to cook coffee before dropping everything. Depends on my power and how many ready coffees I have left, I cook two, four or six coffees. Normal is cooking 4 coffees (six is almost no chance for a new record to me) Try to make two bandage while cooking second time. ALWAYS put 4 litre water on the fire before leaving!

I always check my time after finishing all work when I am ready for next stage. Until this point I have 8 to 9 hours played. (Showing 15-16 hours). I also list everything missing for my mission here at this point. 10 days food or more is good at this point. 10 soft wood or more is also good.

3 Stage

Going out with about 5 kg or less. Running directly to the cellar in the Island Connector, first deposit in the entrance of the cave (some wood and may be oil or hatchet). Going straight to the old church. Here you find at least 4 ammo, may be the rifle and some wood. Depending on your soft wood level at this point of the game you can go to the light house (if tight on soft wood) or directly to the Riken.
Do not waste time here, just pick up the wood and may be oil in the lower deck.(Also chance for a stim here). Straight to the Hibernia where you find plenty of wood, food, oil, may be hatchet or rifle.
After the last single trailer there is another chance for 1 to 2 soft wood behind that place, then I go back through the other cave. If you are lucky you have 2-3 stims and may be some Go’s to run back to CH. Depending on your food lvl, you need to loot the hours(es) at waterfront cottages.
If you still missing the rifle you can run the dead body on misanthrope’s island and if it is also not there your last chance is that fishing hut between the two islands

We have in this stage at least 6 chances for the hatchet and 5 for the rifle.

For me this is one of the most interesting speedruns, because it is always different. Sometimes you do not find pots or coffee or wood or …..

20200510002914_1.jpg

20200510202717_1.jpg

20200512200830_1.jpg

Whiteout first run.png

DesolationPoint whiteout.png

Edited by Goodzilla
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Hi again:)

As promised here is the link: 

The main idea of this route is to gather all the items except wood and at the end actually chop the rest. 

The reclaimed wood is critical (we need to find 24 of those) as the planks that give 6 take only 30 minutes. (if needed the 8minute boxes are a good source as well (The one I chopped in the trailer for example )

The whole run gets a little grindy at this point because of how many random elements can influence it.

I try to maximize my chances by:

a) looking into mailboxes for rifle amunition (actually 0 found in the run above ;) )

b) Utilize the beachcombing mechanic for some extra wood/reclaimed wood

c) Harvesting clothes for bandages/brewing coffe during the run to maximize stamina recovery while doing it

d) Not harvesting anything for tinder

Additionally I try to visit all the fishing huts to maximize wood/rifle cartridge chances (but maybe the route can be optimized as well)

Despite achieving a time below 15 the run was not the best, mainly due to poor wind and 1 reclaimed wood missing (I needed to go all the way up to the mine enterence to collect it). Below find a screenshot where a theoretical sub 14 was possible (given 20 minutes of harvesting bandages + 4 minutes inventory management) it would be around 13:40. But sadly 1 rifle cartridge and 1 Hardwood was missing.20201015205410_1.thumb.jpg.8831d399d26cd848efe431e5048a70a7.jpg

I grinded this for the last month and I am getting tired of this repetetive task :) Hope that this post will encourage someone to pick up the torch (keyboard) and go for a sub 14 record:) 

• Upvote 1

That's great work! This is a very grindy challenge as it is....so well done for pushing it. And thanks for sharing the strats! I don't have the balls to grind this out right now cos had a long run on Hopeless Rescue recently, fastest time in the end 12 hour 9 minutes...so the first sub 12 hour run on the cards too but...I dont even have the energy for that .Recently came up with a new strat for Hunted Part Two also.  2 Hr 57 minutes. At least that's only a 15 minute run, not like Whiteout or even HR....and Hunted Part One's fastest time now is 4 hour 47 min by @sholtolsen....and that's also less than 30 minutes to complete...so don't disappear just yet! There are other runs to optimize 🏃🏃

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Rzilla said:

Once you get the gun shoot a dear harvest that meat. At two lbs per adds up quick. 

Harvesting takes too much time in this challenge. We have even tried harvesting a bear right next to the Quonset. If you can loot all the items without harvesting your time will be the fastest. Of course, new strats are always exciting to explore, so if you can post a faster time with deer harvesting as part of your run that would be awesome. Note where @R3425makes specific mentions of what he is harvesting, because this action really slows you down during a speedrun:

c) Harvesting clothes for bandages/brewing coffee during the run to maximize stamina recovery while doing it

d) Not harvesting anything for tinder

Oh I thought we were on the 30 day winter Quonset hut challenge. My bad. Yes if your doing a speed run  I'm sure you already know about the teas coffee ️ etc. I try to avoid speed runs I'm just not that good 😊. Nomad was fun taking my time is best for me. So much to this game. Thick for sure. Rzilla

• Upvote 1