Where to go next and what is a good strategy for Forlorn Muskeg?

amadeuszbx

I have a question and would be glad to hear others opinions or tips on the matter.

I'm currently on the 23rd day of my custom playthrough. I started in Milton so I put the wolves on Low (they are terribly annoying there) and Blizzards on High (to balance it out and keep things interesting). The rest of settings is regular Voyager.

Sooo now I'm planning on moving from Mountain Town map to somewhere else soon, probably on day 30 or even sooner as I'm quite comfortable here already (got a ton of meat and decent animal clothes). I want to make things interesting by leaving a lot of gear behind (taking those clothes though) because I feel that soon in Milton I will lose the need to actually venture anywhere, given how much stuff I already have. I want to avoid that and change my scenery. Here is where my question comes: do you guys think it is better to go to Forlorn Muskeg, try to live there for a few weeks, and then move on to Broken Railroad, or to go straight for Mystery Lake, and maybe THEN move to FM? I want to repeat that I won't be taking much gear with me: only essential tools, set of good clothes, probably rifle but almost no spare food (only so much to last me the journey and get me started in new region). This could make straight away survival in Forlorn quite challenging, so going to Mystery Lake would allow me to regain some gear.

I am personally more inclined to go to FM because I feel like I need something more difficult but I still want to hear your opinions. What I could also use, are some good tips on how to get set up in Forlorn and what worthy visiting is there, as I have never made a proper playthrough in the region before. 

Arriving in FM from Milton Basin (which is worth a camp in itself) brings you out in a lovely area called Marsh ridge. It's wolf free and has a cave system that's always warm. This is probably the nicest place to make camp. However, it's a fair journey to Spence's farm for a workbench, should you need it.

*(On a separate note, two things: firstly, the sight lines and wolf numbers in Milton are a death trap. I can totally understand wanting to turn down the wolf factor but I suggest, instead, just loot it, with extreme caution then avoid it. Second thing - why not go for Interloper? Sounds like you want more challenge and, while it seems real tough at first, that pain is a wonderful experience. Just a suggestion. Then you can come back here and tell us how it goes ? )

Not taking much when leaving Milton is a given since you can't be overencumbered in order to use a mountaineering rope. and you have to use ropes to get to either Mystery Lake or Forlorn Muskeg from Milton.  You can get to the Hushed River Valley without using a mountaineering rope, but AFAIK, you will have to use at least two ropes in order to explore the entire HRV map... and HRV doesn't connect to any other maps except Milton.  My faithful cartographer has spent the last 30 days in HRV.  I found it a confusing map to start with, but once I learned how to navigate it, I've been loving it.  There are no man-made structures, so you have to make your base in one of the caves.

Forlorn Muskeg is known for bad weather even without blizzards set on high.  It has a forge at the Spence Family Homestead so you can forge arrowheads there if you have a heavy hammer (sometimes you can find one at the forge itself).  It think most people tend to set up their bases at the forge, but I personally like to base out of the Poacher's Camp (which means when I'm done with the area, most of my stuff is already on the transportation route; ie. the railroad tracks).  Spence has a bed and Poacher's doesn't.  Neither area is technically an indoor area, so you'll have to use a cave to cure items.

Access to Forlorn Muskeg and the forge is quite easy from Mystery Lake since it's flat and straight out along the tracks.  You can go straight through along the tracks to Broken Railroad (which also has a forge).  Also, Mystery Lake does connect to Coastal Highway (via the Ravine) and Pleasant Valley (via the Winding River).

Yeah, as for Interloper I tried it a few times and although I died only once, and survived 3 times, I played it for 6 days max. I simply got too put off. I could survive on it (I mean for these initial few days, I know that later I would encounter more and more problems) but it wasn't fun for me to be on constant lookout and to count every match and every calorie. I prefer more laid back playthroughs in this game to appreciate atmosphere and environment. 

I don't know Forlorn Muskeg that well, hence why I may try to kind of get to know the area better this time, but I probably won't stay there for long (maybe week or two).

Thanks for all the tips that may help me survive there!

Wandering around in FM you should know that there are areas where the ice is too thin to carry you. If you get a warning on the screen, go back immediately (S), don't try to run through it, dont't turn back sideways, just press S to step back a.s.a.p.

I took a bath in the ice cold water a couple of times before I've finally learned it... and you don't want to run around completly wet in freezing surroundings.

Archived