Fix: this will come in handy

ChillPlayer

No matter what trash I pick up, a rugged shirt while already wearing thick coats or almost spoiled food, my guy always gets excited when he finds stuff. This has bothered me since forever but only just now did I figure a quite simple fix: don't play the audio ("this will come in handy", "hope no one needs this" and so son) AFTER the player takes it and puts it in his inventory (left click). If he puts it back (right click), just play no audio at all or have him say something like "naah this is useless", "I don't need this" or so if you still have resources for audio recordings.

I think this would be fairly easy to implement and would add alot to immersion. Thoughts?

7I almost always break down items I can't use in their current form, and despite the potential for food poisoning, it would be better to eat than to starve. That almost spoiled food might just keep you alive long enough to get back to a spot where you have tons of food and enough supplies to get the 10 hours of rest required.

It does seem like Hland did make the male survivor less whiny sounding... But then again I could be wrong about that as I haven't played survival yet.

15 hours ago, Wisdoom said:

After playing the game for while, the lines "this will come in handy" and "hope no one needs this anymore" get old and I do get tired of hearing them.

it's not so much the frequency or lack of variation that bothers me but the fact that if often does not correspond with my actions or what I think about an item in any given moment. Having my character speak only after I've decided to keep an item would address that.

8 hours ago, Pillock said:

I think this is a good idea, but it isn't going to stop the guy from saying "Hope nobody needs this anymore" when you pick up a stick off the forest floor.

this is true but could be addressed with the same fix (if item==stick: don't talk). But what do I know, maybe our character was a forest talker and is concerned about birds not finding enough sticks lol.

On 12/23/2018 at 9:13 AM, ChillPlayer said:

it's not so much the frequency or lack of variation that bothers me but the fact that if often does not correspond with my actions or what I think about an item in any given moment.

Yes, I wish some of Mackenzie's remarks felt less random and more contextual. Examples:

• I can understand saying "Lamp fuel? Could be useful" the first time Mackenzie encounters a Lantern Fuel container or jerry can before even finding his first Storm Lantern. Or if that is literally the first accelerant he encounters. But I was playing one of my sandboxes the other day, Mackenzie was carrying a full storm lantern plus 3.60 L of fuel, finds a small container (like 0.30 L worth of fuel) and muses "Lamp fuel? Could be useful". 
  • There are areas and spots in the game where certain resources are plentiful. It's easy to find scrap metal near trains, or at Hibernia Processing and The Riken, for example. Grey Mother's house has a lot of stacks of papers upstairs. It's rather hilarious when Mackenzie picks up a scrap of metal or a stack of papers at those locations and you hear him exclaim: "This could be really useful!"
  • When Mackenzie is wearing like 7 kg of very warm clothes (fisherman's wool sweater, Cowichan sweater, expedition parka, climbing socks, snow pants…), he shouldn't be uttering, full of relief "This will come in handy" when he finds… a worn t-shirt. If he lacks units of 'cloth' in his inventory, for example, he could be made to say "Maybe I can re-use this as cloth" or something along those lines.
  • Just a few hours ago, I was playing one of my sandboxes. In his inventory, Mackenzie had like 3 Summit Sodas, 2 Orange Sodas, 2 Grape Sodas and 2.50 L of water. He rummages in a file cabinet, finds an Orange Soda (at 34% condition, no less) and he brightens up: "Excellent!" — Dude, you're not exactly at risk of dehydration and you just found the last can of soda in the whole region… 9_9

Archived