Hooray for the rabbit hat! More craftable clothes?

bighara

It's a silly dream, but I would love for there to be a way to fill all the clothing slots with craftable, pelt items. 

I have no idea what fur socks, long johns, or sweaters would look like, but it would be cool to shed all manufactured items and have just crafted items. B|

There is next to no way to feasibly create underwear out of pelts. Anything that you would attempt would be very uncomfortable to wear. Only somewhat feasible option would be to turn the pelts inwards and make them be the "soft inner" layer - but that still runs a risk of skin irritation.

The only way to make feasible, craftable clothing for the inner layers would be through knitting. We would need some needles to do that, as sewing kits would not be enough, but forging could take care of that quite well. 

What we would really need is access to raw wool which could be "skinned" of some animal and processed into wool for knitting. Luckily, there is a feasible animal that could fill in this task. I believe it is called "Dall sheep" - it is a white sheep very similar to bighorn sheep that lives in the northern, mountainous areas of Canada and Alaska. It has a wool which could be collected as a pelt and further processed into a knittable thread.

dallsheep.jpg
Source

Afterward, the crafting would be simply a matter of time and skill. With knitting, you could craft a "handmade" items of any nature - from toques for head over wool sweaters to handcrafted gloves and socks, even wool knitted long-johns. I reckon wearing all-woolen knitted clothes would still cause some discomfort but considerably smaller then wearing leather clothes on bare skin. 

If the Dall sheep were to be added, I would like to see them as animals, limited to Timberwolf mountain and Hushed valley, and possible other mountainous regions in the game, that are some ways away from the preferred "long-term" locations. Along with the infamous mountain lions/cougars which were once a planned predator. I think the necessity to travel into distant locations just to hunt rare animals for rare resources would add a great feeling to the immersion in the game. 

If this seems like an idea you would get behind, let me know - and I will re-visit this topic and make a better suggestion together so we could discuss it better.

I don't think it would fit in the game, in my opinion. I still think TLD isn't about creating your autarchist kingdom of icy isolation, but surviving "until it gets better" (summer comes again, we reach signs of civilization or they reach us...) so I don't picture my character planning on making wool knit underwear. We know it won't get better, at least in survival mode, but our characters don't.

The rabbit hat looks good and provides another use for stockpiled rabbit skins, but with hindsight I would have preferred something like Jeremiah's wolf hood (maybe becoming a cape in the "accessories" slot) and using the lighter rabbit skin for some kind of shirt, to replace sweaters. Oh, well.

All good ideas. Clothing from the wool of animals and the clothing of animal skins. All this takes place in the game. Different options are different ways of passing and everyone could choose what he likes. 

11 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

I don't think it would fit in the game, in my opinion. I still think TLD isn't about creating your autarchist kingdom of icy isolation, but surviving "until it gets better" (summer comes again, we reach signs of civilization or they reach us...) so I don't picture my character planning on making wool knit underwear. We know it won't get better, at least in survival mode, but our characters don't.

In my opinion, this is the essence of the survival mode. This small frozen world in which the character was the only person. and only on the actions of the gamer depends on what he survives and subjugate nature or die.

12 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

I prefer if the devs did not limit this game by picking such a specific direction for it - I like to think this game will one day offer everyone what they would want - people can choose to just survive, or take it a step further and start living off the land... I don't think it will ever turn to that "build your own empire" kind of game, but I do hope the sandbox will have some more long-term goals in the future. I used to be opposed to the idea of building your own log cabin, but honestly, if it was a long 600 day objective, I would not mind it  - I imagine it would be incredibly satisfying to finish a project of that magnitude.

After all, crafted clothes are integral to the survival on Interloper. 

Archived