Bucket for a set of water and its boiling

AlexandraRussia

This makes sense, there are waterfalls too, and metal buckets are a common find, so instead of breaking them for scraps (or tying them to the end of a mountaineering rope and moving up or down 10-15kgs of stuff, but that's another story) they could be used to gather water and even directly boiling it.

I disagree, with both the implications you two made. Sorry to be so blunt, but let us take a look at how would that affect the game. Instead of having to boil water at expense of time and firewood, it would allow the player to get a vast amount of water very easily instead. It would affect the gameplay way too much.

Same goes for the option with "bringing stuff down the rope" - both of those options are "so difficult" in the game on purpose to provide for more challenging game, which is the chief reason why the game is so much fun. Let's remember - once the game starts "feeling easy" is the moment when most people start suffering from the "routine boredom" and end up doing stupid things that lead to death. The difficulty is a very important part of the game.

Who said it would be easy my friend ?, not at all.. .
For example at the new location, or not at all buckets nothing how it would be possible to get water .
For example, Yes in the river want to get water, but first you've got the ice to break , then to get water and boil.
And this is my friend Oh how not easy .
Given the weather conditions and animals that walk around.
So my friend is not so easy.
Then of course there was the risk of frostbite , if you linger.
That's because it is.:)

Those are not sufficient risks that would offset the fact that this would allow the player to stockpile huge amounts of water. And in my opinion, anything that encourages stockpiling is not very good. Again, right now, you pay with time and fuel for water. All of that for 2 liters of water - on top of all that, you need to keep track of time to not over-boil it. This would allow the player to gather up a larger quantity of water, quickly at a specific location. 
You mentioned running water  - so there is no need to break any ice at all. 

Weather and animals are a constant general danger in the game - I don't consider them to be particularly sufficient balancing factors.

The only demerit to all this is that you would have to visit a location with running water. 

There was a post on this topic in the past - with a suggestion that gathering water out of a running stream would result in a loss of entire temperature meter, or that it would have a chance of having the same effect as falling under ice. I believe the most common argument was that gathering water by a running source would be seriously dangerous - as falling into such water would pull the player under the ice and trap him in a quick running stream of water, under the ice - a certain death for sure.

I am not trying to diminish this idea - just wanted to share my opinion on it all :) I get that it might seem realistic, yet I still don't want to see it in the game.

Archived