More Veggies

Vince 49

Although I'm not a vegan, I believe the game could benefit from more plant food.  Once the player has eaten all the food scrounged from human habitats, he is left with cattails and herbivore meat (rabbit, deer, and moose).  Although the rabbits, deer, and moose respawn, the cattails don't.  Why not?  Also, I believe adding one or more new non-meat natural food sources would enhance the gaming experience.  Wild asparagus can be found in Canada as can clover and chickweed.  Of course there are many other options.

I've seen the bare bones Long Dark from a couple of years ago in old YouTube videos.  It's grown a lot since then.  I hope it will continue to grow and that more edible plants will be part of that growth.

I agree, it isn't really fair that there is an unlimited supply of wildlife and that resources like cattails, roses, and shrooms are 1 time only. They shouldn't be by any means infinite but the devs could add a cooldown of a few days before the plants regrow again just like in real life. As for new plant-based food here are some nice ideas:   

10 minutes ago, Johnny5X said:

They shouldn't be by any means infinite but the devs could add a cooldown of a few days before the plants regrow again just like in real life. As for new plant-based food here are some nice ideas:   

That is not how plants work in a real life at all. Plants grow for a long while, and certainly not in a land of permafrost. It makes sense that the plants don't regrow, though frankly, rose hips and reishi mushrooms could, as these do grow even in very cold conditions. Cattails not so much.

Cattails are currently renewable because they can be found as a beach-combing resource.

I would like to see more plant life, and even more if there were some edible plants that could be harvested as renewable resource, and then used to add some variety to the game. I suggested something similar to how the logs work. That there would be areas where you could find spawned plant of wild potatoes or carrots that can be harvested, and if left unharvested it would disappear in couple of days - and would be respawned in a different part of that area. To encourage people to go out looking for vegetables to enhance food with, but not something that would disappear and never return back.

7 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I would like to see more plant life, and even more if there were some edible plants that could be harvested as renewable resource, and then used to add some variety to the game. I suggested something similar to how the logs work. That there would be areas where you could find spawned plant of wild potatoes or carrots that can be harvested, and if left unharvested it would disappear in couple of days - and would be respawned in a different part of that area. To encourage people to go out looking for vegetables to enhance food with, but not something that would disappear and never return back.

I'm not sure about the carrot and potato idea. But I definitely like the idea. It really added a bit of variety to the game.
I have an idea about plant foods.
I did some reading about wild animals in Canada. Specifically, read about the deer. Deer feed on vegetable matter ,such as fallen leaves, stems and bark of shrubs, pine and spruce needles, acorns ,chestnuts, nuts, mushrooms, lichens, fruits, berries...

From this we are interested in nuts and mushrooms.
Do you think? What if there were places where deer graze we could find some of these.

I don't think that would upset the balance of the game. I think it'll add a few extra days to your survival...

P.S. Please forgive me for my English.

Archived