I am not one for titles nor intros

CGTv

1. No longer able to forage with the rifle, bow, etc... in hand on Interloper.
-Or in other words anything that requires two hands to hold.
This would not apply to picking up sticks and the like because in real survival situations you could always for instance hold the rifle with one hand while picking up sticks, but it would be very unhandy to harvest berries while holding a rifle, same goes for pry-opening a trunk and so forth.
Optional in custom mode.

2. Ability to map in low visibility conditions at a faster pace but with less detailed results.
-Even in real dense fog one woud be able to tell a lake from a house if one were standing right infront of it.
The exception here would be a blizzard, ever been in one? You go blind XD

I onced needed rescue irl when out of nowhere a blizzard happened in some mountains, i went off the elevated wooden trail and fell onto a frozen lake, i sank 8 meters in the snow and was stuck, luckely my friend after about 90 minutes found his way back with help.

3. One charcoal lasts for up to 6 uses.
-I love mapping, and i would love for more people to pick it up, but as it is now i am afraid it's a feature often overlooked because in my opinion the mechanics should be a little bit less hardcore.
So when it's foggy, you draw less therefore you draw quicker thus you use less of a charcoal, in clear sight you would use more "charges" but still not all 6 at once.

4. Indicator showing how much % of each region is cartographed (sp?)
-The question is, why isn't there an indicator? Pray to the Gods, let there be an indicator! Oh dear Lords! We have a right to know!

5. Higher odds off spraining an ankle/wrist when not wearing proper gloves/shoes & socks or the lack thereoff, this handicap would get nullified for the wrists when having a warmth source equipped (flare, lantern, etc...)
-This might already be the case? Or this was at some point the case because i feel like it no longer is?

6. Equipped clothing weights only 25% of it's total weight.
- Because this is something games should start doing, it would be a welcome addition to any survival game that takes clothing weight into account, ofcourse because of that, the total carry weight capacitiy and other aspects might need to be tuned.
Ps: I never tried the moose satchel but if i may assume, it basically does this but in a rather illogical way?

Also, see this as the 'auto save feature' or the 'bullet time feature', or something along those lines. I'm not saying every game should have those certain features but i'm sure a lot of us can remember that a not all games used to have those but now that they do it's all the better.
And infact on this issue i find the gaming industry is behind their time for this feature to become cliché, while for instance a certain Metroid game was ahead of it's time with the auto save feature.
This is long overdue in my opinion, the lack of original thought is not always bad but the thing is, in this case it is original, which is a shame.

7. -I got this next idea from Atheenon (Youtuber/streamer)-
You start with less max carrying capacity and as you keep yourself well maintaned you gain extra temporary bonusses over time. (perhaps only in higher difficulties, certain challenges (where it is fit) and storymode)

Now i have my own twist on it (i will make a seperate thread on just this idea, i am still working some things out) which i will explain ever so "slightly" right now.
Not only carrying capacity but also sprint and fatigue, didn't we just crash a plane into the Canadian wilderness? :P
For instance on Interloper i think it would be nice if your sprint, carrying capacity and fatigue were reduced by 25%, you would regain a permanent 5% (to all 3 stats at once) for every 3 consecutive days you stay above 75% (without any ailments, the risk of an ailment does not count), then 80%, 85% and so forth.

The extra temporary bonusses you would be able to achieve would be for instance;
- 5% extra sprint bonus if you stay above 95% for 7 consecutive days,
- 5% extra health if you stay above 95% and didn't starve or get dehydrated for 7 consecutive days,
- Get 5% less sleepy if you stay above 95% and didn't starve, get dehydrated or tire out for 7 bla bla bla,
- Get 5% more carrying capacity...
Ofcourse with them being only temporary it's possible you might loose them

8. Would it be silly to say that i would love a wind up cooking alarm?
- I would have no idea what effect it would have on wildlife when they hear an alarm like that? Maybe it could be overpowered?
Either way i have a solution for that, because we're in Canada, the people there probably have cooking alarms that sound exactly like woodpeckers, and if they don't, they should!
So it wouldn't have any applications in the wild, only for personal use.

I could think of so many applications and just to name a few;
- Get alerted when writing in your journal when not right smackdab next to your fire and you're roasting some mmmmeat.
- Set one or more alarms for tasks you are about to do; tear down curtains, chop some wood, ice fishing, etc..

9. Random amounts of rosehips on rosehip bushes.
- Is it just me because this breaks my immersion /cry no, but honestly it does.
I'm not a perfectionist, just a realist when it comes to small illogical things that can easily be "fixed", my apologies if that sound arrogant.

10. Able to take the anchored climbing rope in Carter Hydro.
- Wasn't it once possible? Or did i dream that...

11. Rifle needs to be unloaded before you can safely maintain it.
- Otherwise it might damage the rifle or worse; you, your clothing and your reputation! (perhaps also only in certain difficulties)
I don't think is the case already but i can never be sure because for my own immersion i've been unloading my rifles before i clean them. (and i just love the loading animation and sound)

12. Ability to craft a sloppy scope for your rifle by breaking down star telescopes often found in buildings.
- Some people are just ultra smelly at shooting, but i mean ULTRA stinky, they are good at all the rest but can't aim a rifle, good thing i'm not such a person but i think that it would be for everyone more enjoyable.
Or pull an EA and make it a 4.99$ microtransaction. Make 3.6B in a year. Either way, i won't need it though it would be fun to have.
- I am not going crazy when i think there are telescopes to be found in buildings right? Or was that in that other game i've been playing so much lately...?
Either way if there aren't any in buildings, it would be nice to see them sometimes.

For now i am going to cut it here, seems like there's more than enough ideas to share your thoughts on.

~CGTv

A few things.

Nobody in Canada has a wind-up cooking alarm that sounds like a woodpecker. I've neither seen nor heard of such a thing, and I've been in Canada for life.

"Star telescopes" are also not a thing I've ever really seen in any buildings in Canada, outside of the observatory at my local uni... and that bad boy weighs several tons (it's a 14 inch reflector telescope) nobody's mounting that thing on a rifle. 

Overall I think the encumbrance values are fine... you don't even start to slow down until you get to 30 kilos. As a person who's done a fair amount of roadying, that's a more than generous number. The moose hide satchel basically works to add five kilos at the cost of .25 kilos... this is overall all right, and allows the player to get on up to 55 kilos before immobility sets in. Given that that's equivalent to a hundred and twenty one pounds, again... very generous. Try picking up a hundred and twenty pound bass bin and take off at a run and you'll see what I mean pretty quick. Hell, one night after a gig I had someone try to do a runner with my fifty pound amp out on the sidewalk. They didn't get very far before ditching the amp (undoubtedly encouraged by the fact that I was chasing them).

Unloading the rifle... I completely agree.

I also agree that long term near starvation should have an effect (even a profound effect) on the ability to carry loads. I'd like to see that sort of thing put into some kind of "wellness" condition that would affect things like fatigue, encumbrance, temperature, and mental health (I've always like the idea of using a nightmare mechanic to impair condition recovery if one's mental wellness is bad, and to use it as a replacement for cabin fever). If your stomach is empty, you should get cold much faster than when it's full because you don't have the fuel to burn to keep yourself warm, and so on.

Anyway, always good to see folks getting interested on it. Ease!

About the only thing here I would like to see added are consequences for starvation.  The method I suggested in the past was to keep track of "negative calories" and if you hit certain thresholds, you acquire increasingly dangerous afflictions.  0-2500 negative calories, no effect other than the standard condition loss.  2500-5000 negative calories, stamina drains twice as fast while sprinting or climbing.  5000-10000 negative calories, you recover condition 50% slower while resting in addition to the stamina issue.  Over 10000 negative calories, your "feels like" is penalized -10C, in addition to all previous afflictions.  All starvation afflictions can be "healed" by spending 3 full days without letting hunger go into the red, at which point negative calories reset to 0.  This would allow you to continue to exploit day-starving by eating the bare minimum right before bed if you choose, but not without severe consequences.

Edit: On the flip side, staying well-fed (going at least 10 days without hunger dipping into the red) should grant a "well fed" benefit, that gives you +2C to your "feels like", or 5% damage reduction or something, to represent a nice healthy layer of body fat.  If hunger hits red, you lose the benefit, and have to stay well fed for another 10 days to regain it.

Upvoted, though I don't agree with everything.

On 28/09/2018 at 9:12 AM, CGTv said:

1. No longer able to forage with the rifle, bow, etc... in hand on Interloper.

I don't think this would have any gameplay impact really. Who's to say he wouldn't drop the rifle while harvesting anyway since it's just an animation. Would be cool if the devs have the time, but not anything necessary I'd say.

2. Ability to map in low visibility conditions at a faster pace but with less detailed results.

3. One charcoal lasts for up to 6 uses.

Not sure how they would implement #2. The main problem about fog isn't not telling a house apart from a lake  as you stated, but telling where you are in relation to other markings you've done.

I'd like having more uses for chacoal and, mainly, a way to decrease the time, which is the number one reason I don't map locations as I hate losing time and freezing/starving/getting thirsty outside while I could be on the move, especially on interloper.

4. Indicator showing how much % of each region is cartographed (sp?)

I believe this is already in the game.

5. Higher odds off spraining an ankle/wrist when not wearing proper gloves/shoes & socks or the lack thereoff, this handicap would get nullified for the wrists when having a warmth source equipped (flare, lantern, etc...)

Interesting. I would also like an increase chance of spraining an ankle when sprinting over uneven terrain with heavier or worse shoes/boots (maybe also proportional on the item's condition). I'm not sure if this is the case already, but sprains seem much more like a random event than an immersive player-related one.

7. You start with less max carrying capacity [...]

Absolutely. I really wanted a reason not to starve during interloper, which I basically feel like a mechanic exploit. This with the malnourished/well nourished debuffs/buffs related to the character conditioning as well would be awesome!

11. Rifle needs to be unloaded before you can safely maintain it.

Yes!

12. Ability to craft a sloppy scope for your rifle by breaking down star telescopes often found in buildings.

Based on last Milton Mailbag posts, the devs already stated that a scope is not in the plans and wouldn't be that simple to implement unfortunately.

On 28.9.2018 at 5:01 PM, stratvox said:

(...)

Overall I think the encumbrance values are fine... you don't even start to slow down until you get to 30 kilos. As a person who's done a fair amount of roadying, that's a more than generous number. The moose hide satchel basically works to add five kilos at the cost of .25 kilos... this is overall all right, and allows the player to get on up to 55 kilos before immobility sets in. Given that that's equivalent to a hundred and twenty one pounds, again... very generous. Try picking up a hundred and twenty pound bass bin and take off at a run and you'll see what I mean pretty quick.

(...)

Not to derail this but.: encumbrance values are fine for now
There is no question (for me) that the numbers will have to change eventually. Be it due to more tools and items in general or by addition of backpack types or afflictions that affect the numbers.

Also: I believe there is something called weight distribution. The example of the bass bin is totally relatable, yet i think if it had been possible to disassemble it into smaller parts and carry it with approprite gear you might have had an easier time. I mean we are not carrying around whole tree logs and animal carcasses. Please...

On 28.9.2018 at 2:12 PM, CGTv said:

1. No longer able to forage with the rifle, bow, etc... in hand on Interloper. (...)
5. Higher odds off spraining an ankle/wrist when not wearing proper gloves/shoes & socks or the lack thereoff, this handicap would get nullified for the wrists when having a warmth source equipped (flare, lantern, etc...) (...)
6. Equipped clothing weights only 25% of it's total weight. (...)
7. You start with less max carrying capacity and (...) you gain extra temporary bonusses over time. (...)
8. Would it be silly to say that i would love a wind up cooking alarm? (...)
11. Rifle needs to be unloaded before you can safely maintain it. (...)
12. Ability to craft a sloppy scope for your rifle by breaking down star telescopes often found in buildings. (...)

Some good points btw. I think for 1., 8., and 11. it really needs to be considered if it does actually impact the experience beneficially. Those might just get tedious. Considering time advances in game faster than in real life one could assume that these points are included implicitly. While i approve of random little things for immersions sake (and in and ideal scenario i would wish for those too), these points just feel redundant.

As for 5.: I think you could also look at the other side.. spaining yourself with military boots on (super silly imo).
As for 6.: i expect this to happen ideally
As for 7.: while small bonuses are certainly interesting, i think combining this under an umbrella of 'general health/fitness' is a good solution
As for 12.: yes even a sloppy little ring would do it for me too :D

3 hours ago, Dawnshift said:

Not to derail this but.: encumbrance values are fine for now
There is no question (for me) that the numbers will have to change eventually. Be it due to more tools and items in general or by addition of backpack types or afflictions that affect the numbers.

Also: I believe there is something called weight distribution. The example of the bass bin is totally relatable, yet i think if it had been possible to disassemble it into smaller parts and carry it with approprite gear you might have had an easier time. I mean we are not carrying around whole tree logs and animal carcasses. Please...

Ummm, no. One, just because there's more stuff doesn't mean that people can magically carry more of it. Two, I'd like to invite you to load up a hundred and twenty pounds in a backpack and go for a walk and see how far you get before you have to stop. I have extensive experience carrying heavy loads from my roadie days, and I can tell you that those numbers are extremely generous.

3 hours ago, stratvox said:

Ummm, no. One, just because there's more stuff doesn't mean that people can magically carry more of it.

True, but that is not the point. Carrying more than 55 kilo is possible as you said in your example - it is just very hard. I am not saying we should be able to carry 10 kilos more. I am saying: the numbers will change. I personally would find hiking a whole day with 30 kilo very strenuous - but i also wouldn't be immobilized when trying to move 60 kilos, but that would certainly take a toll. And that is what i was getting at.

3 hours ago, stratvox said:

Two, I'd like to invite you to load up a hundred and twenty pounds in a backpack and go for a walk and see how far you get before you have to stop.

I'll get further than ingame - and that was subject of my statement.

Archived