So we got a bit of rain...

That looks pretty serious! We've had the opposite in the Netherlands, salinisation of the fresh water and polders because of the lack of fresh water coming in through rivers and precipitation.

Then some heavy showers and that flooded because the dried out soil wouldn't take it in. Plus it would evaporate and still no extra water buffer. Now the weather is back to its moderate sea climate thing. To hopefully recover water supplies.

Take good care dear ajb!

• 2 weeks later...

We are having the flooding and non-stop rain here in Pennsylvania, again. Flooding everywhere, and more landslides, just after we all got almost done cleaning up after the last ones. We are fine on our property here, but we are on the high ground, neighbors below us have minor flooding. Sump pump is running non-stop, and I am glad we have solar, since the electricity has been on and off for those only on the grid. 

Serious Hurricane headed toward the East Coast... family in Maryland and Florida are trying to get out to safety, we will get hit with more heavy storms and rain in the aftermath. 

Mother Nature is trying to tell us all something. And she isn't being nice about it.

1 hour ago, Soul Sojourner said:

Wisconsin? 

We pronounce it "skansin" lol

And say "ope" a lot.

4 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Mother Nature is trying to tell us all something. And she isn't being nice about it.

Yeah, I'm afraid we may be past the point of no return.  Just think, we may be the last generations to remember "the golden age".

Iowa here. I am also guilty of frequent usage of "Ope". :D

The rivers have been quite high (and still are) but most flooding I personally saw was minor. It has rained a lot for the last half of summer though.  

I recently visited Minnesota to see Lake Surperior, beautiful place.

Stay safe, and aware!

Things are finally getting back to normal.  We had a "Fight the Flood" fundraiser event in town and holy smokes was that packed beyond anything I've seen in quite some time!  Sadly a lot of homes were damaged beyond repair, and had to be leveled.  Several farmers lost all or most of their livestock.  A lady I work with had her entire basement fill with water in about 5 minutes, after the windows broke.  The elderly couple that lived across the street were hit even harder though.  They got in the car and made a run for it when things started getting bad.  Their house completely collapsed and washed away while they were out.  And to ice that cake they hit another car on the highway, totaling their vehicle.  So now they have no house, no car, no possessions but what they were wearing.  Uff-da.  That's the worst story I've heard so far, but at least they have their lives.  Insurance isn't covering anything; they didn't live in a flood plain so they didn't have flood insurance, and the car accident was their fault.  But fortunately the area is getting state and federal emergency funding, plus independent fundraisers like that Fight the Flood thing to help the survivors get back on their feet.  In time this will become a distant memory, and a cautionary tale about disaster readiness.

Prepare while you have the chance.  Right now, don't wait.  If you don't have a disaster plan already, stop what you're doing this instant and make one.  Hopefully you never need it.

Archived