(Moose) Hides

melcantspell

Hello fellow survivors!

First of all, thanks for a brilliant game and an amicable community! I can imagine it must have been a whole lot of work to create a game like this. Thank you!

To give you a little background, let me tell you my story (I'll put it in a quote, so if you don't want to learn about moose locations, don't read) ...

In my current run (on voyager difficulty) I got lost in the fog a few weeks into the game, not far from the Carter Dam. Night falls and I suddenly understand that what began as a cheerful expedition could quickly turn into a serious problem. Next thing I hear is a eerie, low pitched growl. I'm in wolf territory, but it can't be wolves. It must be the moose. I can't see my own hand before my face and I start to get nervous. However, it's a only a short moment of panic until all I see are antlers. I wake with broken ribs and crawl in the opposite direction. I see 2 wolves there. They bark at me. To cut a long story short, at dawn I arrived at the camp office in shreds but alive. 

After this incident (and a few days of rest to heal), I tried to kill the moose that attacked me, but couldn't find it. I made peace (or so I thought!) with the situation and moved on to Pleasant Valley. I set up camp there, and a few days in, I meet another moose. I shoot it with the rifle and harvest its hide. Moose satchel, here I come! Back in mystery lake, I pass by the Carter Dam and guess who's there? My antlered assassin! It took me a few days (I'm a really crappy archer!), but I took it down as well. Guess I'll be making a moose jacket soon. Back on my way to Trapper's Cabin. I'm starving, and since I am still a very crappy archer, hunting deer is quite the challenge for me. But I get lucky in the end. 9 kgs of yummy deer meat. Great! I harvest the meat and take it back to the shed in front of Trapper's (my outdoor kitchen). Well, before I reach the shed a sudden, low-pitched bawl curdles my blood. Now I know, I really don't need a third moose hide, although the meat would be nice. Most of all though, I really like Trapper's Homestead as my home and the moose is a dangerous companion to have around. It has to leave, one way or another. So yes, today is day 110 of my voyager run and I've killed my third moose. 

I'm wondering what to use the moose hides for, after the jacket and satchel are made. Sure, I could simply not harvest the hides, but this would be a total waste, and you never waste stuff in a survival situation. 

So - is there another way to use moose hides in the current version of the game? If not, wouldn't it be nice if there were? It doesn't have to be a new craftable item. For example, if we could tear down the hide and use it to repair shoes (tiny bits of leather), it wouldn't be a waste of important resources. 

Or even better, use it to make leather flasks or thermos sheaths for hot beverages? :)

What do you guys think? Oh, and by the way, how often do you run into a moose? I feel it happened a bit too often for it to be a "rare encounter".  
But maybe that's just my kind of luck haha ;)
(Oh, and please feel free to correct my bad english. I can only learn from that.)

I haven't actually made the Moose cloak myself but do you need a Moose hide to repair it?  all other animal based clothing requires the same animal hide for repairs so I assume you'll need future Moose hides for repairs.

On my last Stalker run I ran into and killed a Moose on Day 1.   Then again around day 100 but I wasn't really hunting for them.

Keep the Moose hide for future repairing of your Moose cloak. Other than this, there's no much use of the hide.

In my current run, I kill my first Moose early in game, right outside the Trapper's Homestead. I decide to go for the cloak instead of the satchel. I was well installed in the cabin and I tend to travel light, so more carrying capacities didn't seems needed to me at this point. Well, it's a really good companion. Almost as warm as bear coat, lighter and most of it, highly water proof. If I am not able to get the hand on a moose hide early in future run, it will miss me.

On 7/18/2018 at 6:15 PM, FunkyFuggerson said:

once your in the extreme late game it might be worth it to craft a whole moose hide satchel and break it down for its 1 leather, as leather becomes one of the rarest things in the game during late game.

Yeah, but anything you wear that requires leather can be replaced by an animal hide crafted item.  Even so, it's pretty amusing to me the idea of killing a Moose, curing the hide for two weeks, crafting for half a day.... all to get a piece of leather.

1 hour ago, Spakerman said:

Yeah, but anything you wear that requires leather can be replaced by an animal hide crafted item.  Even so, it's pretty amusing to me the idea of killing a Moose, curing the hide for two weeks, crafting for half a day.... all to get a piece of leather.

I was kinda quoting the Edlritchgod on that one, but if you want to keep your ski boots in good shape then thats what you have to sacrifice

OK, I feel kinda silly now. I wasn't aware you need the moose hides to repair the clothing items (I'm such a newbie, ain't I :) ) Well, that clears things up. 

Still, it would be cool if you could harvest leather pieces from cured animal hides. 

Oh well, so much to explore in this game. Thanks for your input guys!

Archived