What's y'alls preferred custom sandbox?

Tbone555

Just a fun thread for us to discuss here. How do y'all like to set up your sandbox?

Me, I preset it to stalker, but make minor changes. Basically: voyageur hunger, thirst, fire physics. Stalker weather and condition. And interloper wildlife. I keep condition recovery low and disable parasites and cabin fever. It makes for my own personal PERFECT experience :D

I do the same as you but with passive wildlife as I don't enjoy being hunted. With the new cooking I find that voyager hunger and thirst balances it out so I am not constantly having to go hunting or fishing. I set weather to really bad to make it challenging.

I also like to have a base in every region all stocked up so I can nomad between them as I feel the urge, and I like to live in the transition zones for as long as possible.

These custom settings make PV farmstead and TWM cabin truly enjoyable.

I'm still tinkering with mine. But right now I have:

Animal detections, scent, etc. all at maximum distance; predator attacks at max strength; no grace period
Stalker Baseline loot, but other loot settings (inc. starting gear) to Interloper; rifles on
Weather settings, animal populations/respawn, natural resources/respawn all 'Medium' [EXCEPT: weather change frequency is 'Low']
All afflictions on; all health status decay rates 'Medium' (I would turn the freezing rate up if I wasn't exclusively starting on HRV at the mo); Hypothermia recovery & Frostbite rate 'Very High'
Never freeze near an active campfire=on
Condition Recovery while sleeping only, and the lowest rate available
Random starting weather/time of day/locations, but not indoors 

It's bloody difficult for me, and I don't normally last more than a few days - but I like it like that!

4 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

@Pillock I like it. We are all masochists here, after all ;)

@Sito yeah, anything above voyageur hunger just feels waaaaay too unbalanced for me. I'm sorry but you can not eat an entire deer a day. That's not how it works lol!

For me the Custom settings have been a revelation, and massively increased my interest in playing again much more since it was introduced. It's had a much larger effect on that than any new in-game content, much as that is also appreciated. In fact, I would like to be able to do more with the settings - for example disabling some of the Skill perks, such as 'no more tinder' and 'no more parasites' at the higher firestarting and cooking skill levels, which I find a bit naff. I hope they expand on them.

The one complaint I have with it is that you can't save your settings easily. The 'Share Code' button doesn't even allow you to copy/paste the text of the code - you've got to take a screenshot of it or manually copy it down outside the game. It's pretty infuriating, and I normally end up starting from scratch with the settings every time I start a new game, with is a bit of a faff. Why can't we just save the settings in the menu, so that we can select them in one click next time we play?

yeah it would be nice to save the settings. Also to be able to tweak some for the current run.  I find that the effect of some settings are not noticeable until later in the game, so I have had to quit some runs and start again with an adjustment to a setting or two.

For my current run I think I have it just right now.  Will see once I hit PV and the blizzard hits while im harvesting a deer in the middle of nowhere.

6 hours ago, Pillock said:

For me the Custom settings have been a revelation, and massively increased my interest in playing again much more since it was introduced. It's had a much larger effect on that than any new in-game content, much as that is also appreciated. In fact, I would like to be able to do more with the settings - for example disabling some of the Skill perks, such as 'no more tinder' and 'no more parasites' at the higher firestarting and cooking skill levels, which I find a bit naff. I hope they expand on them.

The one complaint I have with it is that you can't save your settings easily. The 'Share Code' button doesn't even allow you to copy/paste the text of the code - you've got to take a screenshot of it or manually copy it down outside the game. It's pretty infuriating, and I normally end up starting from scratch with the settings every time I start a new game, with is a bit of a faff. Why can't we just save the settings in the menu, so that we can select them in one click next time we play?

Agreed. +1 on this idea, you should really copy and paste that onto the wishlist, since this is only the discussion forum

I too start with a Stalker base. I do this because I want to find hatchets and knives. I also include the rifle in the loot pool.

My favorite thing to do is be outside and explore, so I tone the weather down. I will often turn blizzards off entirely. It's still very cold, though. I turn loot down so it's rare to find things in containers. I crank up the amount of bears, moose, deer, rabbits, and fish. I turn down wolves.

Cabin fever is off, but the rest of the ailments stay on. I don't eat wolves or bears until level five cooking has been achieved.

Archived