Interloper - Can't find any Wool Toques!

Dan_

Hey,

This weekend I started a new Interloper character(marathon style) to play in the new update without crazy OP skills. Trouble is: I can't seem to find any wool toques.

I looted all of ML, including every trailer and fishing cabin, all of CH, the barn/farmhouse/rural store/draft dodgers/signal hill and skeeter's ridge in PV. Old spence, shortwave tower, marsh ridge and poacher's camp in FM, and all of Milton ( did trapper's to grey mother's, then tower, plane crash, trailer, church and paradise meadows. Searched in all cars in Milton and Coastal Highway as well. 

Only DP, BR and TWM are remaining. In all my playthroughs I've never ever took this long to find a toque. Heck, I even have THREE pairs of thermal underwear and a ear wrap but no toque. I also got a thin wool sweater in paradise meadows, but I know for a fact there's a good chance I find the other one by the echo ravine containers. 

Is anyone else experiencing the same with new runs? Or am I just THAT unlucky?

This might just be a coincidence and bad RNG luck, but I can't help but think that the craftable hat is coming and Hinterland is taking down the wool toque for balancing reasons. 

Cheers!

6 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

I think it's just bad RNG.  I've had it happen before in interloper.

As an interloper player myself, my #1 wish for this game is the ability to craft a hat.

Wouldn't this impede ongoing hatlessness studies?

I'm quite sure I've found the wool toque during Interloper runs.

9 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

As far as I know the top gear isn't available in Interloper and I think the wool toque is the best hat in terms of stats.

I've found wool toques during Interloper runs at least until V1.12. They were there in the past, and therefore I presume they are still there. I also doubt your 'top gear missing' theory - as far as I know only the rifle, hatchet and hunting knife are missing on Interloper. That's top gear, of course, but not the top gear in every category. I might be wrong though, haven't been playing Interloper recently. ;)

9 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

As far as I know the top gear isn't available in Interloper and I think the wool toque is the best hat in terms of stats.

@Hotzn is correct, the wool toque is a top tier hat( second only to the balaclava ) but it always was readily available in Interloper. I usually acumulate five or six toques and stash them in my main base for any given playthrough. It is very overpowered for interloper giving +4ºC(2ºC each) for no movement penalty, miminal weight and very low decay rates. If I don't find any in this playthrough I might have to double on the bear coats just to sleep for regen in caves safely. This will be a necessity in the new region, I presume.

@Ruruwawa this is really a shitty RNG run, lol. Looted desolation point last night and being a fairly small region it only took 3 in-game days including a small forging session. No toque in sight, I've found some at the lighthouse before but no cigar this time. Currently sitting at the Ravine hunting to replenish resources and staving off cabin fever in advance of crafting my bear coat. I'm setting off to TWM in about five game days ( day 36 in-game now ), if I find no toques in TWM I'm starting a new loot and move run, just to see if it is bad RNG or they have in fact removed it. 

From the official wiki: https://thelongdark.gamepedia.com/Interloper

The best Clothing and Food items do not spawn

But I haven't played Interloper in a long time so I don't know if the Balaclava or the Wool Toque is considered the best hat, the former has 0.5C more windchill bonus while the latter offers 1% more protection.  But if it's supposed to be in Interloper then sorry for misleading, I honestly can't remember if I've ever found one.

The wiki has great resources but some of the game mechanics information is just a very light pass onto each aspect. Interloper for instance has the wool toque, which is the second best hat, but it doesn't have the fleece cowl or the long wool scarf, which are mid-tier items. I guess the toque is a patriotic nod by Hinterland, which is why it is present in all difficulties. 

Anyway, I just found a toque by abandoned preppers', 20% on this baby. To think I went by skeeter's ridge and didn't check preppers and nearly missed it. There goes my craftable hat conspiracy. I got used to finding toques everywhere, from now on I'll fist pump every time I find one.

Cheers! :toque:

5 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Grats on the toque, @Dan_.  Just don't let the wolves and bears eat it!

It almost lost it to a surprise wolf missile :D, found another :toque: at the summit alongside the thin wool sweater by the echo ravine container. I'm all set for the new region, crafted the bag and got two spare bear pelts curing until I decide between the second coat or a bedroll.

You are a much more experienced player than I am, are the thin wool sweater and wool socks a guaranteed spawn by the echo ravine? I found them in four consecutive playthroughs counting this last one. 

5 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

I prefer to think of it as a placeholder for the not-yet-implemented top-tier Canadian fur hat. ;)

That would be awesome, I'd give the wool toque up for an equivalent warmth-wise hat.  I was kinda hoping we got Jeremiah's awesome wolf shawl/hoodie thingy. 

11 hours ago, Dan_ said:

You are a much more experienced player than I am, are the thin wool sweater and wool socks a guaranteed spawn by the echo ravine? I found them in four consecutive playthroughs counting this last one

I always get sweaters and socks from that cargo container.  Not always the nicest ones, though.  Thin + wool is a good haul, grats!

@Dan_ maybe right that the toque is a nod to Hinterland so remains in despite its power. Either way, my current Loper run has hit most of the good loot spots now and turned up 5 toques (and two ear warmers!)

But I'd had a similar wonder about loot generation as the variety seems unbalanced. I've found three pairs of Combat Pants but I've spent 26 days with only one torso item: a sports vest found early on TWM. I've just hit Milton and finally I've gotten a hoody, thin wool sweater and a ski jacket but options for that layer seem crazy rare. I feel like those Combat Pants spawns are a bit too conincidental. It's like this playthrouh decided: your good clothing will be pants and headwear, but torso stuff will suck. Fair enough I guess. It's Loper!

On 24/05/2018 at 7:54 AM, Stone said:

@Dan_ maybe right that the toque is a nod to Hinterland so remains in despite its power. Either way, my current Loper run has hit most of the good loot spots now and turned up 5 toques (and two ear warmers!)

But I'd had a similar wonder about loot generation as the variety seems unbalanced. I've found three pairs of Combat Pants but I've spent 26 days with only one torso item: a sports vest found early on TWM. I've just hit Milton and finally I've gotten a hoody, thin wool sweater and a ski jacket but options for that layer seem crazy rare. I feel like those Combat Pants spawns are a bit too conincidental. It's like this playthrouh decided: your good clothing will be pants and headwear, but torso stuff will suck. Fair enough I guess. It's Loper!

I usually get that many as well, this is my first time getting only two. 

I suppose it's consistent since the only item I get 50% of the time are the combat pants. Sweaters and toques are usually plentiful so this must be an outlier. 

It might be that the loot tables are set up such that for interloper, different things will be rarer for different playthroughs. This makes sense, from a game play standpoint, as it makes each run more unique. If the loot tables are set up to try and average out as much as possible, then every run will have a similar feeling of a linear progression of clothing, as you hit more and more good loot areas. Having certain things be much rarer in some games works well! 

I gotta update ya'll - so the last place I'm sweeping for loot is Milton right which I ain't exactly thrilled about on account of the wolf infestation. I head there from trapoers cabin, leaving unnecessary gear there, survive getting jumped by two wolves at milton gas station and three at the church. It's plain sailing from then on back via the muskeg but with one ski jacket to show for it (from muskeg) I'm not exactly thrilled. But I'm back in ML going about my business, pop into trapoers for that maple sapling I left and notice the safe is still shut. Did I not do that? Click click click Mackinaw Jacket - son of a...! Sitting there the whole time! :)

3 hours ago, Stone said:

But I'm back in ML going about my business, pop into trapoers for that maple sapling I left and notice the safe is still shut. Did I not do that? Click click click Mackinaw Jacket - son of a...! Sitting there the whole time! :)

:D I usually save the safe and lockers for last while looting so I can relate, lol. Congrats on that Mack!

Archived