Too many burnt buildings

Supermarioman1

I love the game, but there are just too many burnt or inaccessible buildings.

I have a crow/pry bar and can open the boot of a car or a locker but i cant take a couple of planks off a door in Milton. doesn't make sense.

Houses without a fire place, why would you have such a thing in such a harsh environment ? 

Preppers hide outs are a great idea but why are they not stocked to the roof with long lasting items isn't that the essence of prepping ?

Most buildings these days do not have fireplaces, even in the arctic areas (it's not unusual for me to have colder weather outside than in the game :) )

Inaccessible buildings / half-empty prepper's caches would be that way for gameplay reasons, there would be little to do in the game after finding a cache containing a year's worth of food and other supplies, don't you think?

I really like the randomly inaccessible/destroyed buildings, maps are otherwise static so there's at least some variation between runs.

3 hours ago, kurja said:

Most buildings these days do not have fireplaces, even in the arctic areas (it's not unusual for me to have colder weather outside than in the game :) )

Inaccessible buildings / half-empty prepper's caches would be that way for gameplay reasons, there would be little to do in the game after finding a cache containing a year's worth of food and other supplies, don't you think?

I really like the randomly inaccessible/destroyed buildings, maps are otherwise static so there's at least some variation between runs.

@kurja I think if they ever added NPCs to sandbox, having someone there with all those supplies within their cache who could trade you for some of their stuff would be an amazing addition to the game instead of a detraction. :)

Having survived over 140 days im struggling to find things to do. i was thinking more buildings would mean more to find. but as i said with the inaccessible buildings, i have a crow bar and there just a couple of boards, i think it would make it even better if on occasion you had to force entry.

1 hour ago, Supermarioman1 said:

Having survived over 140 days im struggling to find things to do. i was thinking more buildings would mean more to find. but as i said with the inaccessible buildings, i have a crow bar and there just a couple of boards, i think it would make it even better if on occasion you had to force entry.

This is the thing.

If you've survived 140 days and are looking for things to 'do', then you have effectively beaten the game on that Experience Mode. The only objective of Survival Mode is to survive as long as you can, and the only ending is death. If you feel like you can go on and on and on without much danger of dying, the only choices, really, are 1) to try it, and see if you really can, maybe attempting to unlock some achievements along the way if you feel like it; or 2) to quit that run and play again on a harder Experience Mode, a Custom setting or with your own invented restrictions and targets for what you do.

Having more buildings available to loot in the existing maps isn't going to give you 'more to do' - not for very long, anyway. All it'll mean is that you have even more loot that you don't particularly need, since you are already on top of the survival requirements without having access to those buildings.

(But I do agree with the general principle of what you're saying: intuitively, we should be able to break into boarded up buildings pretty easily with the tools at our disposal.)

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎30 at 1:03 PM, Supermarioman1 said:

Welcome to the forums @Supermarioman1^_^

When I reach that point I either start doing progressively sillier stuff or start a new game. The Long Dark has always had the problem of maintaining late game challenge. 

I still maintain more interesting and varied buildings would make it a better game, also more clothing and tool items but of differing types to give a choice rather than just axe, knife, crowbar, saw. im not saying what these might be but it is a though. more range of clothes so there isnt just 1 top tier but many variations giving slightly different bonuses and minuses. i guess the only other thing is more maps. maybe open it up to modders to make more maps. 

I love the game and want more of it, just how that comes about im not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived