Newbie searching for tips about travel.

strongpelt

Hello! I'm back with another question! Whats the best way to move to different parts of the world in survival mode? I hear all the time about people moving their bases around after one area gets dry of things. I have never moved from a map spot though, at least not to move bases. I did travel to the forge once from mystery lake office cabin. My question is, How does someone go about moving their base without being encumbered? (I'm asking as I'm in mountain town right now and I know I need to climb to get out either direction.) What tool's are absolutely needed? How much food and water should you bring? Clothes? What locations should someone avoid putting a base down? What map's are best for bases? 

Somebody share their experience with moving map locations with me ;-;

I moved recently from the Trapper's Cabin on ML to the Fishing Camp on CH. Basically, I left a ton of stuff behind in the cabin, including boatload of food. I have cooking five, so it doesn't really matter if it all gets to zero condition; I'll be able to eat it anyway. I only took my best clothes, knife, hatchet, and bow and arrows, along with some lightweight food for the trip (a couple of MREs and some cattails in case I got stuck somewhere and needed to eat), and some basic medical supplies in case I ran into a wolf on the way. When I got there, I started putting together the stuff in my new base from the stuff I found in CH; at this point I've concentrated most of the loot in CH at my base. I will probably be moving on again soon, and again I will leave almost all of that stuff behind. I'm figuring on heading up to conquer TWM when I leave here so I will also be taking all the coffee I can carry for the climb up to the summit. 

Basically moving base really means leaving a lot of your stuff behind. The nice part of it is that it'll all be there if and when you return. The next time I go to ML I'll have a huge cache I can use to get myself into shape if the trip has been rough and be able to settle right back into living.

Here's a shot of the Trapper's Cabin I took shortly before I booked out to CH.

screen_a13be7a3-0703-4562-8c5f-2763470b4f2d_hi.thumb.png.289c816e3d6cf0205cd8b3c34722ad19.png

Here's the fishing cabin I'm hanging out in on CH. It's the one with the work table out back... the outdoor crafting thing has a lot of appeal as it helps inveigh against developing cabin fever.

screen_5dd8f595-c5f6-4d3c-99fb-b09a8a9151d6.thumb.png.6e48afe5f5a13fbfccc5d8ceda141af2.png

A lot of this stuff is going to get left behind because I won't be able to carry it (there's like thirty kilos of clothing in one of the lockers just off screen to the left). I'll be taking the coffee and the crackers with me; a lot of the deer hides are going to go away because I'm going to be repairing my pants and boots up to "New" condition before I head out to TWM (the map I started on and the one I was gone from in less than a day... basically took random start and immediately headed out to get to ML where the living is easy). The crackers are road food (light calories for the win!) and the coffee is for when I'm climbing the ropes up to the summit. Oh yeah, I'll be taking a hacksaw which I've got stashed in one of the lockers so that I can open up cargo containers once I get there.

All that of course assumes I survive the trip... one never knows in this game ;) 

ETA: I will once again be leaving the rifle(s) behind; they just weigh too much. I'll have a couple of bows and my five arrows with me; I had six but lost one hunting out on the ice on the bay. I will bring a few rifle rounds with me so that when if/when I find a rifle I'll be able to load it immediately.

When moving bases, there are several tips on how to do that. Also, I am not talking about "moving bases" as in nomadic playstyle, but more of "mad hoarder super stocked base moving" kind of tips. If you are interested in nomadic style, there is not much to that - simply use up all the resources in the region, grab couple of essentials and go on. Ideally, you can do "circles" around the same areas, always leaving some stuff behind to discover it later on as you get back there.

Mad hoarder on the move:

At the very beginning, prepare the things that you will want to move, and distribute them into groups - ideally, you can throw them down by the entrance, in groups of priority - for example, you will want to bring at least 1 set of tools, some weapons, some food, meds and firestarting material to your new base on first roll. A bit of everything, really - so you have all the options. Next you will make a tools pile, then clothings pile, next meds and food, after that hunting tools like traps, and finally resources like wood and hides - which will be happily curing in the meantime. Purely out for efficiency, I reccomend to plan on moving bases after you have done a LOT of hunting. In fact, that brings me to the second stage of this operation.

Now, you will want to clear out the route that you will be taking first.  So, grab a bow, and go shoot out all the wolves and bears, (bears are not that important, but better safe then sorry, and lets not forget they like to roam about areas so they can corner you during one of your trips) - and if you bring the food to the new base, you will have calories to use as you make the continuous trips back and forth.

Now, once you actually get to moving things. I reccomend putting on very light clothes, and be ready to get occasional coldness, because clothes are arguably the heaviest article in TLD for carrying. Also, since you cleared the route out, it will be safe to travel it for a few days before the animals respawn - meaning you dont have to drag weapons with you. I reccomend keeping a flare gun with you just in case :)

Now you should move fast - but that doesnt mean running around! If you want to do two or three runs per day, I reccomend that you walk around without running, and dont get overencumbered over 40kg of stuff - then you will not get really drained of energy. This will, on more moderate modes like Voyager, result in you being able to make even a couple of trips per day, you will get hurt by the weather but ultimatedly recover that during your rest. 

This is the best way to move bases, especially if you have LOTS of stuff to move.

However, if you are hoarder like me, I reccomend to pick a permanent base in the first place. Additionally, I highly reccommend to set up "outposts" - basically mini bases with important small caches of supplies. For example, I would leave 1 MRE, 1l of water, 4 antibiotics, peroxide bottle and bandages (leave those lying by the door in case of emergency :) ), and a set of tools, or at least hatchet. Oh, and a piece of wood and matches. Everything you need in case you get into trouble around that spot. This has saved me countless times in games - its a good preparation for those moments when you just goof and do something dumb every now and then, because we all know TLD is very unforgiving of that :D

Finally, if you are moving lots of stuff over longer distances, its probably better to "hop bases" - say you want to move your items from Broken railroad to Coastal Highway, I would definitedly make a stop at Cabin on Mystery Lake first - moved everything to Cabin at first, and then continue on to Coastal.

Since I like to strip Timberwolf mountain bare, I would often hoard all of the goods in the Mountaineers first, then carry them down to abandoned bunker, and then finally carry it all to my permanent base from there. 

Moving big bases takes a LOT of time. Be ready for it. Also, if you want to maximalize your resources, dont bother carrying lower condition perishable food first - by the time you will carry everything else, you will probably eat them anyways.

Final tip - if the area in between your bases is longer, make sure you know where the NATURAL shelters like small caves or even windproof hollowed-out rocks are. If you want to be extra careful, drop a small cache of supplies there too in case you get cut off by bad weather. Better safe then sorry. If you dont do that and weather gets you, dont be ashamed to drop your items and run for safety - better to damage some of your items then die and lose all your progress.

Some more general advice: make a note of anything important you leave behind in your journal (or someplace not in game)... tools, weapons, matches & firestarters, pelts, other crafting resources.  That way you can always go back for something if it turns out you really need it.  And don't take much food... there's always some to find if you are willing to fish or hunt.

I prefer the nomadic style because exploring (and looting!) a new region is more engaging for me when I don't already have a warehouse full of everything I could possibly need back at base.  

5 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Some more general advice: make a note of anything important you leave behind in your journal (or someplace not in game)... tools, weapons, matches & firestarters, pelts, other crafting resources.  That way you can always go back for something if it turns out you really need it.  And don't take much food... there's always some to find if you are willing to fish or hunt.

I prefer the nomadic style because exploring (and looting!) a new region is more engaging for me when I don't already have a warehouse full of everything I could possibly need back at base.  

I generally follow this form of play as well. Since I prefer Voyager or Stalker there's normally not a shortage of loot on the various maps. Therefore, I'll usually take only food, water, 2-4 hours of firewood, matches, my best clothing (leave the rest in containers), and fully repaired tools. You'll likely find more than enough stuff on the new map to keep you going and you can always backtrack if need be. 

Travelling light also means travelling faster so you're not walking with 40 kg across whole maps :D

Archived