Portable oven stove.

AlexandraRussia

I know what you mean. But I believe the reason why those houses dont have fireplace options is because it would actually make them very good bases. I think, at least. This is probably to decrease the value of those locations.

As for portable fire stove - if it is incredibly heavy, I don't really mind it. If it needs to be repaired from time to time to function, with scrap metal and tools, it might actually not be such a bad thing to have. Similar to bedroll - however, it should not be "travelling" kind of equipment, in my opinion. I can imagine how great would such thing be if it was used outside during blizzard - as a "protected" fireplace option. But if it was too heavy to use regularly and therefore was only used as a "base-kind of item", I wouldn't mind it.

As for "travelling portable option" - there is this cool thing I think would be great for TLD. It is called portable wood burner - it basically is something similar to gas stove, but it works on sticks. If you take an old can of peaches and cut a square hole in it, you can make a small fire inside of that can, and heat up things like coffee on the top of the can. I think this would be a cool addition to TLD, in a similar manner like Bedroll. When you don't want to waste time, building a regular fire because you will be moving soon again, you could perhaps throw down this, light it up quickly using a stick, tinder and match, it would only accept sticks as fuel, and you could only use it to heat up canned food or drinks. It would also only add limited "heat", something like up to +2 Celsius to feels like, and limited light. The advantage of this would be that it would be "air protected" (not blizzard immune, though) - so you could use it even if its windy outside. Additionally, it would be much faster to "build" it - while the normal fire takes 5 in-game minutes to build on average, this would be "lit up" in 1-minute in-game. That means you can "heat up" your drinks and cans faster, eat/drink them for the temperature boost and warm core bonus, douse the burner and continue on.

On 10/26/2017 at 4:37 AM, Mroz4k said:

As for "travelling portable option" - there is this cool thing I think would be great for TLD. It is called portable wood burner - it basically is something similar to gas stove, but it works on sticks. If you take an old can of peaches and cut a square hole in it, you can make a small fire inside of that can, and heat up things like coffee on the top of the can.

Even cooler would be a rocket stove.

rocketstove_000.jpg.a828a74fbf3b5027e746a1783533e0bb.jpg

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Even cooler would be a rocket stove.

rocketstove_000.jpg.a828a74fbf3b5027e746a1783533e0bb.jpg

This is actually something that, if you use good insulation and coals, it becomes hot enough to melt weak metals in. Something similar is what I would use to melt aluminium cans if I also had a crucible and could seal off the top.

Not sure how useful would this be for travelling, because the thicker insulated walls and the size (at least 40 cm length) would make it very heavy to drag around. I suppose this would be a sort of portable stove - but in that case, maybe the normal portable stove would be better because, in this stove, you can still only use sticks.

It sure is a very smart idea, but it has its disadvantages.

I honestly think with the number of propane tanks in the game there should be some chance of being able to start a cooking flame on a stove... Or maybe harvesting some of that propane and adding it to a smaller easier to carry camp stove sized tank to use with a camp stove.

16 minutes ago, Ape88 said:

I honestly think with the number of propane tanks in the game there should be some chance of being able to start a cooking flame on a stove... Or maybe harvesting some of that propane and adding it to a smaller easier to carry camp stove sized tank to use with a camp stove.

As far as gas goes, it should not be a problem. The stoves in the game also seem old-timey, so I doubt there will be some modern electrical add-ons in them. The problem comes with electricity and the spark, used to ignite them - aurora would knock out the ignition system, so you would have to light it up with a match the old-fashioned way.

Naturally, the electric stove part of that wouldn't work. 

However, I doubt this will happen otherwise you would have a very long lasting campfire option on your hands - unless the devs made it so that there is only a couple of hours of gas left in all of them, this could turn into a decent substitute for firewood for a long while.

44 minutes ago, Ape88 said:

Precisely.

Not dissing your realistic point, but it is clearly a problem from the game balance point. Similar to the fact most cars would have lots of gas in them (which people want to use for lantern fuel, even though it makes no sense logically), or the fact that a deer would have close to 40 kg of meat on them, not just 8. There are points to this game which don't quite make sense but are that way to make the game more difficult. This would make cooking VERY easy.

Archived