Moving encumbered exploit

stratvox

I've discovered an exploit one can use when moving while heavily encumbered. Had a character loaded up to around 53 kilos... was moving very very slowly. I discovered that if you go over a little hump and have a steep enough downslope you can pick up your speed... and when you get to the bottom of the downslope you keep it so long as you keep moving. You'll still be affected by things like wind and so on, but you'll not have that base movement rate of just crawling along that you start out with when heavily encumbered. The length of the slope doesn't affect it, it's the pitch... if it's steep enough you'll end up moving far faster.

Tested it several times, it always works.

This is nothing new, I am pretty sure most of us have been using this, knowingly or unknowingly for a long time.

The issue with this "exploit" is that once the terrain changes and goes up, you will instantly lose this "boost" once again. But as long as the terrain goes down or is somewhat flat, you will continue going down with this higher speed.

I would not be so sure this is an exploit, perhaps it was intended this way. By going down the slope, you pick up speed because your potential energy is being lowered and transformed to kinetic energy, which will keep its steady level on an equal terrain as long as you dont stop and lose it. That is how it works in the real life, though in real life its a bit more complicated. 

Naturally, its silly that you can step on a tiny rock, and as long as it has some steep downwards curve, you can pick up speed like that... that feels like an exploit. But when it comes to coming down the hill and getting more speed because of it, that makes sense. I am guessing game cant determine between a tiny rock and a long hill downwards. So in a way, it is an exploit, and at the same time, it seems to me it was intended this way.

2 hours ago, KinoUnko said:

so if you circle back to the same hump a few times do the speed bonus stack? 

No.

In my experience once the terrain changes you get to keep the speed boost until you let go of one of the move keys (WASD). Seriously, get yourself over 50 kilos encumbrance and try it. I used it crossing DP just yesterday and shaved literally hours of game time off the traversal.

More like Quake's slope jump (in E4M1 where you had to head bump the ceiling light), equally it negated jumping z-velocity boost when going down slopes... game physics was simple those years, but it was 1996.

You say your speed doesn't reset as long you're holding the input key... When hauling heavy loads, certainly I have experienced slowdowns for no apparent reason, but no boosts... I would crouch and get up, and it appeared I walked a bit faster after that.

On 10/5/2017 at 2:13 PM, stratvox said:

In my experience once the terrain changes you get to keep the speed boost until you let go of one of the move keys (WASD). Seriously, get yourself over 50 kilos encumbrance and try it. I used it crossing DP just yesterday and shaved literally hours of game time off the traversal.

I know how it works. Point was that this may have been an intended mechanic working unintentionally in favour of players, which makes it feel somewhat silly in the game. I know of it and I use it quite often, the issue is really not the ingame time you save rather than the real time you would waste, slugging yer ass encumbered, which makes for a very boring gameplay. Hop over a small bump on the way, and if you are going over the FM which is flat like my empty wallet, yea, you will go far.

On 10/5/2017 at 7:53 PM, dead frozen dude said:

When hauling heavy loads, certainly I have experienced slowdowns for no apparent reason

Most likely because there was a tiny bump in the ground which counted as going up for a milimeter, and that set you as "walking slowly". Another reason might have been exhaustion. As you get more exhausted, you keep getting lower carrying limit capacity. This lowers over time - from 30 kg to 15. Every time it passes certain number, I think, it re-loads your backpack and makes you slower. This might be why it seemed as if it was for no reason.

On 10/5/2017 at 7:53 PM, dead frozen dude said:

I would crouch and get up, and it appeared I walked a bit faster after that.

Yes, this works somewhat similarly too - uncrouching resets your walking speed, so if you are walking on flat, you will move a bit faster then that slow walk into the hill. Also, if you stop to, say, pick up a stick - the added weight of the item into your inventory will slow you down like the hill would. Crouch and uncrouch to move a bit faster.

If you can, find a bump to walk down from, like this thread suggests, to gain even better speed this way.

Archived