Injured Animals Disappearing With Aurora

Wade

I have had several occasions when I have shot an animal just prior to the Aurora and then can't find it anywhere the next day.  I have read that animals disappear and spawn at the aurora, is there any truth to the idea that wounded animals are disappearing in favor of their aurora cousins?  I hate losing arrows and looking all day like that if you know what I mean.  Anyone have an answer for me?  Thanks

I'm getting an idea that all non-hostile wildlife despawn when it happens. Much like with the blizzards, though you don't even have to enter some indoor location - they just pop out of sight. Pretty cheap... Yeah it's frustrating. Once had a bear wander away and vanish into the blizzard, along wih three hard-earned arrows of mine embedded in his butt... :(

19 hours ago, Fuarian said:

All animals despawn during Aurora. Even wolves and bears. The aurora wolves and bears respawn right after. Aurora wolves and bears are different entities than normal ones.

Interesting. Does this mean that wolves will respawn faster than they normally would after killing them, then? I'm guessing they wouldn't respawn if their carcass is still there, but there used to be a grace period even after the carcass despawned before the wolf would come back, and it sounds like now, after an Aurora, if the game doesn't see a carcass, then it will just spawn in the original number of wolves. Which would mean that those of us experiencing an Aurora every night should expect hostile wildlife to come back much faster.

37 minutes ago, WanderingPalm said:

Interesting. Does this mean that wolves will respawn faster than they normally would after killing them, then? I'm guessing they wouldn't respawn if their carcass is still there, but there used to be a grace period even after the carcass despawned before the wolf would come back, and it sounds like now, after an Aurora, if the game doesn't see a carcass, then it will just spawn in the original number of wolves. Which would mean that those of us experiencing an Aurora every night should expect hostile wildlife to come back much faster.

Just a theory in here - but I believe its two sets of animals in play here. Aurora wildlife, and normal wildlife. So, whenever aurora begins, the normal wolves despawn and aurora ones respawn. And when it ends, the aurora wolves despawn and normal ones respawn. I would bet that the game remembers how many wolves were present during the normal stage before aurora hit, so for example if in the Coastal Town was supposed to be 4 wolves, but 2 wolves got killed before aurora hit, after it ended there would be once again only 2 wolves again.

I wonder how it would be with the aurora wildlife, though - if one could kill off aurora wildlife in a region, and another aurora came soon after, if the area that got cleared again would have new wolves in it or if they would be gone.

I am guessing that regardless of what the current "weather" is outside, the grace period on respawning still applies, so I don't think this will respawn the normal wolves each time there is an aurora. 

Archived